300 win mag COAL

In the market for a new 300 win mag. I've chose a rifle that I thought I wanted, and changed my mind about a dozen times. Im after a hunting rig, weight is a concern, but not a deal breaker. I want to shoot heavier factory ammo, preferably the 215 or 210 Berger's. What guns have you guys had luck with, that are capable of shooting longer distances, that will hold a heavier bullet like that in the mag?

The only one I've stumbled across is the Browning hell's canyon. My only other longer range hunting rifle I have a bergara in 6.5 that shoots lights out, and switching to something new is a bit intimidating. I like the Browning. However, I've read a couple horror stories, but far more reviews from happy customers. Still can't 100% commit.

I like the bergara ridge, weatherby vanguard first lite, and the hells canyon. The hells canyon being the only rifle able to hold the 215 Berger's in the mag. (Not sure if they cycle them worth a damn.) I've looked a little into the CA Mesa, but doesn't sound like they can hold the 215s either. I'm taking a bit of a gamble by even assuming that the gun will accurately shoot the 215 or 210s. Am I stressing out too much about basing a gun off of a bullet?

I'd like to stick around that 1k range. Give or take a couple hundred. Help a brother out! Tell me your success stories and bullet/gun combinations.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Clarence

WKR
Browning has a longer mag than most. Don't have the spec in front of me, but I could load my win mag to the lands if I chose to. (I measured for 200 grain accubonds). I neck size only, and had to grind a little material on the mag in the shoulder so they didn't hang up. Browning is one of the few I am aware of with the 8 twist option. I have the older hells canyon long range that still has a 1:10, but I heard guys are able to get the 215's to work. 230's would probably be a stretch, but no personal experience with this. I have been very happy with mine. Down side of browning, is if you like to change things up, there isn't much aftermarket support I'm aware of beyond timney and McMillan.

OP
SneakyThunderCat
Browning has a longer mag than most. Don't have the spec in front of me, but I could load my win mag to the lands if I chose to. (I measured for 200 grain accubonds). I neck size only, and had to grind a little material on the mag in the shoulder so they didn't hang up. Browning is one of the few I am aware of with the 8 twist option. I have the older hells canyon long range that still has a 1:10, but I heard guys are able to get the 215's to work. 230's would probably be a stretch, but no personal experience with this. I have been very happy with mine. Down side of browning, is if you like to change things up, there isn't much aftermarket support I'm aware of beyond timney and McMillan.
The lack of aftermarket parts was another concern of mine. The trigger adjustment on the Browning says 3-5 lbs. Do you know what yours is set at? I've read a time or two that guys have been able to get the stock trigger a little below 3lbs.

SDHNTR

WKR
Mag fit is just one concern, barrel twist is the other. Look for one that has at least as fast as 1:9 in order to stabilize that bullet.

Wolf76

FNG
A 1:10 twist will stabilize the bullets you're talking about. Heavy mono bullets are a different conversation.
A R700 has about the longest factory box mag, but you can add a Wyatt box extension (3.85" or 4” coal) for about 150 total (part and labor). The milspec 5r rifles are reported to be pretty accurate. The sendero line is often good as well.

230 targets might even be fine in a 10, the OTMs are. There isn’t much reason to use them in a WM though.

I think browning and Christensen went too far by putting 8 twists on 30 cals, I’d rather have a 10 twist in a win mag than an 8.

Clarence

WKR
The lack of aftermarket parts was another concern of mine. The trigger adjustment on the Browning says 3-5 lbs. Do you know what yours is set at? I've read a time or two that guys have been able to get the stock trigger a little below 3lbs.

Got it down to 3.25 lbs with factory spring. Put the mcarbo spring in and got it to just over 2.5. I am fine with the feel of the stock trigger, just wanted it lighter. Pretty happy now. The new long range model is 1:8 twist.

OP
SneakyThunderCat
Got it down to 3.25 lbs with factory spring. Put the mcarbo spring in and got it to just over 2.5. I am fine with the feel of the stock trigger, just wanted it lighter. Pretty happy now. The new long range model is 1:8 twist.

This the spring you used?

elkguide

WKR
May be more money than you're looking to spend but as one who has a "few" rifles in .300 WinMag, I really like my Christensen Arms and my Cooper. Both are 1/2MOA rifles all day long. I go back and forth between 180's and 215's in both and am satisfied with them both. The Kimber, Ruger and Remingtons that I have are also great rifles as well but if you're wanting something above the others, I'd opt for a CA or Cooper.

Clarence

WKR
230 targets might even be fine in a 10, the OTMs are. There isn’t much reason to use them in a WM though.

I think browning and Christensen went too far by putting 8 twists on 30 cals, I’d rather have a 10 twist in a win mag than an 8.
I agree. Set out with a goal of 3/4 moa with hand loaded 200 grain accubonds. 10 twist was ideal I felt for my application.

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider

Will they be accurate? Maybe. Fully stable? Not even close. Even a 215 out of a 10 twist 300 win is marginal unless used at higher elevations. Not talking accuracy here...stability and achieving full b/c.
I love that Browning and Christensen are producing fast twist rifles...finally somebody listening to demand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
SneakyThunderCat
I went with the Hells's canyon long range. The 10 twist rate of the speed made me nervous, as I only live 1k above sea level. The extra lb is a bummer but, I feel like it was a good trade off. Now to just cross the fingers and pray the rifle loves the heavies as much as I do!

I went with the Hells's canyon long range. The 10 twist rate of the speed made me nervous, as I only live 1k above sea level. The extra lb is a bummer but, I feel like it was a good trade off. Now to just cross the fingers and pray the rifle loves the heavies as much as I do!

That extra pound will make it that much sweeter to shoot. Enjoy it