300 win mag group question

mmac

WKR
I have been thinking about the groups on the bottom target and decided to post the questions. The groups are varying charges of h4831sc and 200gr ab. The center starts with charge of 70, upper left 70.5, lower left 71 and lower right 71.5. Nothing else changed. Is it possible to find another accuracy node that close the the first charge or likely just bad shooting in second two groups? Any other explanations?

Upper target is different gun so no correlation.

Attachments

• 3AB5F242-A056-4967-9714-B452FCE3342F.jpeg
    3AB5F242-A056-4967-9714-B452FCE3342F.jpeg
    311.3 KB · Views: 73

Mike 338

WKR
It would be a unusual for two nodes to be that close but that's how you know things... you test them. Now you can see the problem of 3 shot groups. There's really not enough data to confirm much of anything other than a curiosity. Was I lucky? Was it a node? Did I shank one? I think yer gonna have to go back and shoot them again.

IMO, early on with a new gun, it helps to figure out how it likes to be shot. Some guns, you just get out of the way and they do it all. Others, you gotta drive 'em a certain way to get the most out of them. It's pretty common for a guy to start a the day at the range shooting the gun one way and ending up shooting it another way. That's probably not so good for load development.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If I find a decent node for a rifle I will shoot a group of 3, let it cool down and then shoot a group of 5.

If its gonna be a long range gun I then verify ballistics at various distances out to a 1000.

I don't take too much time between shots, because I want the best representation between shots as I would have with hurried follow up shots in the field. I'll usually shoot my 3 shot group in under a minute.

I also shoot better this way, because otherwise I psych myself out, and my eye starts to strain.

OP
M

mmac

WKR
Thanks for feedback. I plan to load some up to validate and check speed on chronicle. Will let you know what I find.