300 win mag handloads

Longshot

Lil-Rokslider
hey guys, have some 200 gr eld-x ordered. looking for some pet loads. prefer to use some of the powder i have on hand (h-1000, rl-22, 7828ssc, imr4831) but i'm tempted to try some rl 25 or rl-26. also, looking to stay under mag length (3.35) if that matters. anybody have experience with how sensitive these are to jump?

thanks in advance

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't used that particular bullet but I would start with H1000. Start at 74-75 grains and work up from there.

Stefan

Lil-Rokslider
I am running RE-22 and loading to mag length for my comp rifle. I set .001 off for seating depth and can make nice bug holes.

Super high BC bullets tend to be sensitive, but the Hornady load is lights out in my Tikka...and factory barrels tend to have a long throat so maybe they aren't too bad.

I'll measure the factory load tomorrow and see.

My thoughts regarding jump is that it's something we all worry about, but that it isn't as important as runout. I'm convinced that neck tension and runout are larger culprits than almost anything else shy of ignition and consistent powder charges.

GKPrice

Banned
Super high BC bullets tend to be sensitive, but the Hornady load is lights out in my Tikka...and factory barrels tend to have a long throat so maybe they aren't too bad.

I'll measure the factory load tomorrow and see.

My thoughts regarding jump is that it's something we all worry about, but that it isn't as important as runout. I'm convinced that neck tension and runout are larger culprits than almost anything else shy of ignition and consistent powder charges.

Roger that !

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have been developing loads with 175 ELDx and 180 ELDm out of a 28 Nosler and 7RM. I can't get much under one moa accuracy out of them at mag length. But when I run them 15 and 5 thou off, they both shoot very well.

I have also found jumping the high BC Bergers difficult.
300 OTMS
230 OTMs
195 EOLs

Stefan

Lil-Rokslider
Your rifle should shoot just fine with a little jump, like I posted I jump my 210 VLD's with excellent results.

OP
L

Longshot

Lil-Rokslider
thanks for the info. i'm going to load some up tonight and hopefully shoot sunday.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I am running RE-22 and loading to mag length for my comp rifle. I set .001 off for seating depth and can make nice bug holes.

Out of curiosity, how many rifles have you set up this way? Out of around twenty rifles only tikkas seem to like being jumped with high BC bullets for me at least. None of the custom rifles that I have loaded for like it.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Dont mean to hijack, but looks like the right crowd here....nyone ever load Varget with .300 win ?

My buddy loaded me up some 165grain Interbonds with 58.0 grams of Varget, but I haven't gotten to shoot it yet. 26" barrel FYI