300 win mag loads

lam396

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a new 300 win mag and was planning on trying a few types of ammo to see what it likes but none of the shops around me have had any in stock since before last December and I can't seem to find any online. My father in law reloads and offered to load some up for me if I can get the components. He has magnum primers for me and I have cases but need a little help deciding what bullets and powder to get. Main goal is to build an elk round and I'd like to be able to go out to 400yards with it. I've always shot factory winchester 180 gr accubonds but I can't find any accubonds in stock (only taken deer, no elk). I have some 180 gr gmx on order but have read I should go down a size to 165 with solid copper but I cant find any 165s in stock. Is that a valid concern with a magnum or mostly for 06 and .308? Anyone have any other recommendations? Powder supply also seems to be an issue for the magnums.

bsnedeker

WKR
I picked up a new 300 win mag and was planning on trying a few types of ammo to see what it likes but none of the shops around me have had any in stock since before last December and I can't seem to find any online. My father in law reloads and offered to load some up for me if I can get the components. He has magnum primers for me and I have cases but need a little help deciding what bullets and powder to get. Main goal is to build an elk round and I'd like to be able to go out to 400yards with it. I've always shot factory winchester 180 gr accubonds but I can't find any accubonds in stock (only taken deer, no elk). I have some 180 gr gmx on order but have read I should go down a size to 165 with solid copper but I cant find any 165s in stock. Is that a valid concern with a magnum or mostly for 06 and .308? Anyone have any other recommendations? Powder supply also seems to be an issue for the magnums.

If it was me in that situation I would just get whatever bullets and powder I could find and load it up for this year at least. If you aren't going over 400 yards for elk (and deer) you shouldn't have any problem finding a load that can hit the vitals at that range. A 1.5 MOA load will hit a 6 inch circle at that range. Basically I wouldn't overthink it...get what you can for now...figure out what your gun likes best in a year or two when things calm down (fingers crossed!).

I've had good luck finding Hodgdon 4831 and 4831sc which is what I use for my 300. I've also had good luck finding eld-x/m at 180 grains (again, what I use).

So I take it you are in California and required to use copper?

If so check into hammer bullets, & cutting edge bullets.
They are a little more niche and spendy but they have some in stock.
Far as powder if he doesn't have any to float you until things come back. Just get on gunbroker and pay up.

OP
L

lam396

Lil-Rokslider
Nope, not in CA. I'm open to lead, I've always used a bonded round but they seem hard to find.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Jsmith410

Lil-Rokslider
I have been able to find 180 partitions locally and have stocked up for the drought to last me the year. Accubonds are my first choice but haven’t found any lately.

OP
L

lam396

Lil-Rokslider
Found some rl22 locally, brass in the classifieds here and some 180 gmx and 165 ttsx to try for a reasonable price online. Thanks guys!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

wyodan

WKR
I've been shooting my 300wm for the last 15 years or so using 180 gr Sierra BT with 74.4 gr of IMR4831. My personal limit is also around 400 yd, but most animals I shoot are far less than that.

Rob960

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using Sierra 180gr GameKings in my 300WM but have run very low. I was able to score Speer HotCor's 180gr at a really good price so I will be using them this year.

I can highly recommend 199 gn hammer hunters with h1000. Last year saw deer, elk, and antelope shot with hammers all died quickly and left significant blood trails.

180 grain bullets remain the best most popular choice among 300 win mag reloaders, and with good reason. They are useful for class 2 game and an excellent choice for class 3 game