300 win mag loads

A-Brakke

FNG
Just bought Christensen Arms 300 mesa win mag, and in the same boat. This is what I’ve found for a solid accurate hunting round. 180g Barnes TTSX maybe tougher to find but pretty available, or 180g hammer bullets are badass and almost always in stock. Both Solid copper. Hammers are a Little bit more to spend but worth the difference in my opinion.

A-Brakke

FNG
Just bought Christensen Arms 300 mesa win mag, and in the same boat. This is what I’ve found for a solid accurate hunting round. 180g Barnes TTSX maybe tougher to find but pretty available, or 180g hammer bullets are badass and almost always in stock. Both Solid copper. Hammers are a Little bit more to spend but worth the difference in my opinion.
Christensen arms mesa 300wm*

A-Brakke

FNG
I shot 200gr ELDX in my CA 300wm with H4831. Very accurate load. And deadly.
Thanks Axe. I’m still in the process and super interested in the 200g ELDX as I’ll be reloading and wouldn’t mind a heavier bullet. Curious how many grains of powder seems to be the sweet spot?

Also have seen such mixed reviews on bullet fragmentation with ELDX. Would love your personal opinion. Thanks for sharing!

axeforce6

WKR
I’ll try to find the data. I believe coal was 3.600. Hornady brass and wlrm primers.

A-Brakke

FNG
I’ll try to find the data. I believe coal was 3.600. Hornady brass and wlrm primers.
Thanks! Very helpful. I also use hornady brass, and ive been using the federal 215 m primers. All information is helpful as this is my first 300. Been a 7mm rem mag guy forever. Finally traded one in for a rifle purely for elk/moose.

I’ve been working on a 180g hammer hunter load that’s showing good potential. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to shoot the last batch I loaded. They seem to always have them in stock at least when I ordered the last box a couple weeks ago and a couple months before that. There forum is very helpful also and I found some useful info there. Before that I was shooting 180 ttsx Barnes that were great on a cow elk last year and also seem to be around more often than not. I just like to mess around with stuff and decided to try the hammers since I’ve heard good things. I’ve been using imr4350 since I have plenty but I just got a few lbs h4831 if it doesn’t work out. It’s hard to be picky nowadays and there’s a ton of powders that will work for the .300win so I just made a list of my top 10 or so choices and kept it in my wallet so whenever I ran into a shop that had powder I could easily see if they had something that would work for me.

axeforce6

WKR
Thanks! Very helpful. I also use hornady brass, and ive been using the federal 215 m primers. All information is helpful as this is my first 300. Been a 7mm rem mag guy forever. Finally traded one in for a rifle purely for elk/moose.
Sorry. They were 3.500. Didn’t see the mistake. 71.5gr of 4831

I took a couple deer and elk with the 180 gmx out of my 300 wm. Two years ago I took a cow elk at 530 yards with it, used 71 grs of IMR 4831 with Peterson brass. With the velocity that the 300 can push the 180 gr bullet, you will be fine out to 400 yards for a monolithic bullet.

A-Brakke

FNG
I’ve been working on a 180g hammer hunter load that’s showing good potential. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to shoot the last batch I loaded. They seem to always have them in stock at least when I ordered the last box a couple weeks ago and a couple months before that. There forum is very helpful also and I found some useful info there. Before that I was shooting 180 ttsx Barnes that were great on a cow elk last year and also seem to be around more often than not. I just like to mess around with stuff and decided to try the hammers since I’ve heard good things. I’ve been using imr4350 since I have plenty but I just got a few lbs h4831 if it doesn’t work out. It’s hard to be picky nowadays and there’s a ton of powders that will work for the .300win so I just made a list of my top 10 or so choices and kept it in my wallet so whenever I ran into a shop that had powder I could easily see if they had something that would work for me.
Just got my second batch oh hammers, pretty sweet bullet. Same exact boat as you playing with a switch from the 180ttsx. I’ve got h4831 and RL22 I’ll update you once I get some time in.

Hornady brass
Federal 215 m primers
H4831 or R22
180g hammer hunter
I took a couple deer and elk with the 180 gmx out of my 300 wm. Two years ago I took a cow elk at 530 yards with it, used 71 grs of IMR 4831 with Peterson brass. With the velocity that the 300 can push the 180 gr bullet, you will be fine out to 400 yards for a monolithic bullet.
Thanks for the advice and build break down, this is really helpful as I’m trying not to overthink it. My rifle seems to love hornady ammo. I hadn’t even considered the GMX to be honest. My brother has had so many bullets fragment with the ELD-X out of his 6.5 I’d been hesitant to use their stuff outside target. But it’s all copper, I never take shots over 300 anyway when hunting, and reviews are awesome. Appreciate the guidance as I figure this out….it can be quite the rabbit hole when you have always just shot the same 160g partition with my 7mm rem mag For the las 10 years.

axeforce6

WKR
I saw your other post about 300wm Hornady brass. I have some collecting dust if you end up needing more.

A-Brakke

FNG
I saw your other post about 300wm Hornady brass. I have some collecting dust if you end up needing more.

Hey Axe,

Thanks for reaching out. How much you have and how much you want for it? I just ordered a box of the ELD-X 200g you mentioned. Excited to get it dialed for late season elk.

axeforce6

WKR
Hey Axe,

Thanks for reaching out. How much you have and how much you want for it? I just ordered a box of the ELD-X 200g you mentioned. Excited to get it dialed for late season elk.
I'll count them tonight and get back with you.