300 win mag/ PRC twist rate

I know this has been discussed in different ways but I wanted to ask about twist rates on 300 PRC and 300 win mag along with specific caliber selection as I know many on here are very experienced.

I live in Florida at 14 feet above sea level but do most of my hunting in West Texas (3,000 feet) where I’m from originally or further West.

Would a 1 in 10 twist be a good all around twist rate for either caliber? I have never owned a 30 caliber magnum and am looking at one for my “big” gun so to speak elk and up. My dream hunt is to go hunting in Alaska someday and would want to take this setup. I know it’s not a huge caliber for Alaska but I want to enjoy shooting it.

I realize the PRC is hard to find ammo for right now and I plan on getting into reloading early next year. I’m also not in a rush. This setup will be for future seasons.

My thought is a 1 in 10 twist rate on a 300 win mag makes more sense than a 1 in 10 twist rate on a 300 PRC. I would probably shoot 180’s-200’s from a 300 win mag and am leaning that direction.

I know Browning has faster twist rates but for a factory rifle most are 1 in 10 even in the PRC.

In summary does any one have any big reasons to avoid a 1 in 10 twist in the 300 win mag or PRC? If so I would love to hear why and which of these two you prefer if you have dealt with both. Thanks all really value the knowledge on this forum.

-Kyle

1:10 has been proven to work well on 215 bergers and below so I wouldn't worry about having a 10 twist. I like a 9 twist if given the option just for a little more stability margin for heavies and copper bullets if desired.

If you are building a rifle I would go 1:9 just because you can but there is nothing wrong with a 1:10 twist 30cal. You might have stability issues with 230gr at your altitude with a 10 twist though.

Flyjunky

WKR
I'm with the above posts. I'd go at least 1:9 just to "future" proof the rifle in case lead is ever banned and we have to start using solids.

Forest

WKR
If you're buying a factory gun I wouldn't sweat a 1:10 as it can do a lot. But if if you're ordering a barrel it's a no-brainer to go with at least 1:9. Just leaves so many options on the table, especially if you ever start looking at the heavy coppers

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

9 twist. More flexibility for hand loading. Check the Hammer Bullets website for their recommendations on the coppers.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
1:10 has been proven to work well on 215 bergers and below so I wouldn't worry about having a 10 twist. I like a 9 twist if given the option just for a little more stability margin for heavies and copper bullets if desired.
Really appreciate it. I was surprised running the Berger calculator how many bullets a 1 in 10 twist can handle. Seems like a lot more than a standard 1.9.5 twist in my 7mm. It seems more constricting in the 7mm with my low elevation.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
If you are building a rifle I would go 1:9 just because you can but there is nothing wrong with a 1:10 twist 30cal. You might have stability issues with 230gr at your altitude with a 10 twist though.
Really appreciate it. Looking at factory but will keep this in mind. I shoot a lot at 3K in Texas and that’s typically where I go long and verify trajectory.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
I'm with the above posts. I'd go at least 1:9 just to "future" proof the rifle in case lead is ever banned and we have to start using solids.
Makes total sense. I saw one of the Barnes was asking for 1 in 8. Thanks for the heads up on copper didn’t even think about that

OP
Kyle Wheeler
If you're buying a factory gun I wouldn't sweat a 1:10 as it can do a lot. But if if you're ordering a barrel it's a no-brainer to go with at least 1:9. Just leaves so many options on the table, especially if you ever start looking at the heavy coppers

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Makes total sense. I’m going factory but plan on shooting it a bunch. I always forget you can just get another barrel haha. I hope to shoot a barrel out as that means I’ll have the rifle dialed. Thanks for helping out.

Northpark

WKR
My .300 win mag is 1-8. Does really well with copper bullets which are my go to these days but it also handles standard 180 accubonds just fine.