300 win mag scope mounts

Hey guys I was running a picatinny rail and 3 screw rings made by weaver on my 300 win mag with the weaver 3*15 tactical 30 mm scope. I was wondering if this is not a good idea on a magnum rifle. Someone told me the rings can work loose on a rail like that with a magnum rifle. Any advice and suggestions for a different mounting system for my rifle would be appreciated. Bitterroot Bulls what do ya think?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I think I don't see why your Weaver mounts would fail, and "magnum" is really a relative term.

If it has held for you, it likely will continue to hold for you.

I run TPS rings on all of my rigs right now, and they hold well on everything from 7-08 to 300 RUM.

If you really want top clamping force check out Aadland rings. Google them. I know Jon has them on some big boomers.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have seen that basic setup on a fifty cal sniper rifle in the army. If its put together properly, it will be fine.

2rocky

WKR
I won a Howa Ranchland .223 with a Picatinny rail and I don't think I would actually choose that design for one of my rifles. It seems to obstruct the bolt/magazine top opening, and raises the eyepiece so my cheek weld on the stock is not the normal one I would prefer. Maybe I need lower rings. I'll keep an eye on this thread for Ideas as well.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
2rocky,

I really like picatinny rails for the reasons discussed in the "lapping rings" thread, and the flexibility for switching scopes.

You certainly can get low rings to bring your scope down.

However, if you don't like the rail for whatever reason, you should check out Talley lightweight one-piece (not a rail - one-piece refers to base and ring in one) mounts. They are super light, strong, and look great.

Their only drawbacks are those alignment issues that can happen with any two-piece base system. But as discussed in the lapping thread, those issues can be remedied by lapping or bedding the rings.

Last edited:
OP
In God We Trust
I found the lowest rings I could run with my set up on SWFA. They were very helpful, Midway is good as well. The reason I brought this up is my rifle wouldn't shoot better than 10 inch groups at 200 yards and it is brand new. I sent it back to Remington and I am waiting to hear from them. I just wasn't sure if this might have been part of the problem. It is the Model 700 XCR2, with the piece of crap stock. Probably just a lemon rifle, I am ordering either a McMillian or Bell and Carlson stock for it once they send me a repaired or new rifle. Anyways thanks for the help fellers. This is the first rifle I have spent a decent amount of money on and it just wouldn't shoot. I figure with over 2,000.00 between the gun and scope it would shoot well.

Drdantdc

FNG
Hey guys I was running a picatinny rail and 3 screw rings made by weaver on my 300 win mag with the weaver 3*15 tactical 30 mm scope. I was wondering if this is not a good idea on a magnum rifle. Someone told me the rings can work loose on a rail like that with a magnum rifle. Any advice and suggestions for a different mounting system for my rifle would be appreciated. Bitterroot Bulls what do ya think?
I had a problem this year with a weaver base on my 300 win mag. After a session at the range, the aluminum base got warm and expanded. When it cooled off the screws became loose. I found this out when we were 10 miles in on a mule deer hunt. Luckily I had my leatherman so we could fix it.