300 win mag vs 300 wsm

Hey everybody! I dont want to start an argument here just need advice. My boss has been wanting a 300 for quite some time. We decided to get him 1 for christmas this year. Only problem is we dont know which 1 to get him. I did some research but im looking for advice from guys with first hand experience with them. He will be using it for elk hunting. Any help is greatly appreciated!

tstowater

WKR
Personally use the WSM. Works well. I would have bought a Win Mag, but my brother had a WSM and we hunt together a fair amount and made sense to use the same caliber. They both will kill an elk dead, no questions asked. Basically the same performance. Long action vs. shorter action. Potential weight difference and slightly shorter bolt cycle time with WSM. Personal preference as far as I am concerned. Ammo about the same price and ease to find.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Not enough difference to really worry about. If he handloads, he should be able to get a few more FPS MV out of the Winny when loading heavier bullets.

Mckinnon

WKR
I use a 300 Win mag and love it. I can't speak to the WSM as I have never owned or shot one. I have no problem getting brass pretty cheap for my hand loads either, but I don't know if that is a factor for him...? Also, you might want to look at ammo prices if that will be a factor, if not, maybe check recoil values for both.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like bb said, not much of a difference. I will mention magazine capacity between the two, typically 300 win mag is 4+1 while the wsm will lose a round in the mag. 9 times out of ten it will not matter but on that 10th time it sure would suck.

That's also very nice of you guys to buy your boss a gun! He must be a good one.

Jdog

WKR
300 win mag every single time!

Here is why...I travel to hunt often...many times on airlines.

I can easily find 300 win mag ammo in just about every place...300 WSM not so much.

Here is a pic of the recent 300 winnie I bought.
300.jpg

bolt.jpg

Gman

WKR
Take this advice with the fact I know nothing about guns - basically my knowledge is put in bullet, aim at animal, shoot. However, I have a .300wsm and really love it. It's been good to me and has taken many animals. I think my thought process back when I bought it was I liked the ballistics, weight savings, short action, supposedly less recoil, and it kinda had a cool factor.

All that being said if I were to buy today I'd probably go .300 win mag. Why? There's really not that much difference and as others have said the accessibility and ammo choices are definitely better. I find myself having to order the ammo I like and I also have to jump on ammo that's available because it just isn't always at BassPro or Sportman's.

Also if you're going to do any custom work like stocks and the such you have that many more choices with the .300 win mag vs. the .300 wsm as I just recently discovered.

I don't know if that helps but that's what I got.

Beastmode

WKR
300 win all the way. As stated before the ballistics aren't enough to make a huge difference. The cost and accessibility of ammo is one big factor. In my experience the WSMs have more recoil as well.

OP
stuckinohio
Thanks for the help! I think we are gonna go with the win mag due to ammo availability!

wk93

Lil-Rokslider
I would pick the .300WM. I use it and love it. I'm just not a huge fan of short mags.... Maybe just because I'm not use to them. More a personal preferance though. Can't go wrong with either!

wk93

Lil-Rokslider
300 win mag every single time!

Here is why...I travel to hunt often...many times on airlines.

I can easily find 300 win mag ammo in just about every place...300 WSM not so much.

Here is a pic of the recent 300 winnie I bought.
300.jpg

bolt.jpg

I still really love that Redhawk Rifle!!!