300 win mag

moose375

FNG
That's an interesting theory...I'll skip the book since I actually have real-world experiences from field using "soft" bullets on numerous elk. I have seen none of this meat damage you are so concerned about. Of course, we tend to put bullets where they are supposed to go so that is a pretty important factor. Having an extremely accurate bullet like the ELD-X and ELD-M (EVEN SOFTER, and what I use 99% of the time....GASP!) helps with that.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my comments ! To imply that my comment concerning soft bullets is a "theory" is somewhat misleading The book I'm referring to by Boddington is far from a book of theory , his articles are published in almost every Gun Magazine on the book shelves. His opinions along with many professional guides around the world about soft bullets (quick expanding) like the ELDX vs tougher bullets like Nosler, Barns etc. are well documented. I live in Alaska where we have our share of Trophy hunting via guide services. I have several guide friends and one of their major conversations with clients is about using non expanding bullets that can break bone to make it to the vitals resulting in a clean kill.
You should know by the way I own and hunt with 178 gr ELDX bullets for 300 Win Mag for Caribou here in Alaska. Since our season includes both Moose and Caribou I carry the ELDX and Barns LRX Bullets for both animals. One problem for the hunter in North America is most hunters hunt Deer so most of the Ammo over the counter is soft point type ammo which is ideal for soft skinned type animals. Premium ammo intended for big game like Elk, Moose and Bears is not cheap, I saw boxes the other day in the $100+ loaded with what I consider high end bullets.
Sorry about the long explanation but since the subject was about Moose and bullet choice I felt that I have a valid opinion. Lastly I hand load all my ammo for my 270WSM, 300 WIN MAG, 300 WBY and 375 HH and I have a great selection of both expanding and heavy non expanding bullets. I hope to hunt for ELK sometime in the future , could be in MT, hopefully I will make a good choice for the bullet.

This might be a stupid question, but I'm curious why no one has mentioned the 190 grain LRXs? They're just about the same cost and have better BCs and weigh a bit more.
Not officially a reloader yet, but hoping to get into it soon for my 300 wm. Seems like a lot of people like the TTSXs but LRXs might be better for long range?

I've shot Barnes for almost 30 years. However no first hand experience with the LRX. I shoot the TTSX because I'm not shooting where that extra ballistic coefficient makes that much difference. Inside of 400 yards it's not a meaningful difference for me.

However the LRX has a lower expansion velocity which would help at longer range.

I checked, Barnes has them on their website available right now.

180 accubonds with h1000 is what I run. I’ve had better accuracy out of Nosler ballistic tips, but hard to find and better for bigger game with the accubonds.

Imr 7828 ssc was another good powder I ran for a while but switched to h1000. Mostly cause I found 5 lbs of it at a decent price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7LRM

Lil-Rokslider
I love IMR 7828 with HH 180 Gr and H4831 SSC with 180 Gr HH. both shoots great with me!

My .300 WM Bergara Wilderness Ridge, 24 inch barrel shoots .50 MOA or less with 5 shot groups.

Shooting 200gr ELD-X using H4350 2,850 fps was my cleanest group/velocity out of the three main ( H1000, H4831sc, and H4350) powders used.

Similar success with 200gr Nosler Accubonds, both amazing bullet choices. Bottom line buy a box of each and try them out, go with the one your gun likes most.

Cheers!

Srp

FNG
There are many great hunting bullets out there. It is easy to develop a favorite after a few successes in the field, and for that reason I only load Barnes TTSX for hunting.

IMO, the first step in working up a load should focus on ES, and trying a dozen or so combinations with 180 grain TTSX bullets should do the trick. Once you get the load down, you can focus on seating depth.

There are a ton of experience reloaders on rockslide that can probably give you better advice, but that works for me. Good luck with the Moose hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stefan

Lil-Rokslider
H1000 will be good with heavier pills. I push 230grn projos with H1000. RL22 would be great for the weight projos you are looking at but the H1000 would also work just fine. Those two are my go to's for .300WM powder.

This might be a stupid question, but I'm curious why no one has mentioned the 190 grain LRXs? They're just about the same cost and have better BCs and weigh a bit more.
Not officially a reloader yet, but hoping to get into it soon for my 300 wm. Seems like a lot of people like the TTSXs but LRXs might be better for long range?
I am glad you asked this question. I'm going to try these for my new WM and some TTSX. I had excellent luck in my WSM with 200gr eldx and RL26, I'm hoping that it works fine in my new rifle for the time being.

I see not many people run rl26. I had low ES/SD with it in my wsm.

hiker270

WKR
If your just gonna casually reload for 300 mag hunting ammo the Lee Ultimate 4 die 300 mag set for around $50 is hard to beat.

Fatcamp

WKR
I have had good luck reloading for my 6.5 so would like to give it a shot. I have plenty of 4350, including some IMR which has been easier to get, so maybe that's the direction I should go.

Might be time to try a non lead bullet. I'm in a position to participate in the Elk cull here in one of our National Parks if they offer it again, and I'm pretty sure they require non lead. Might as well go that direction.

I think most dies are going to work pretty well. Manufacturing tolerances are now really good, I find the main differences between the manufacturers is the ease of adjustment and set up. My set for the 300 Win Mag is a 30-year-old RCBS 2 die set.

300 Win Mag has plenty of velocity potential. My thought behind a magnum versus standard case is to push heavier bullets to the same velocity as the standard case pushes lighter bullets. (i.e 200 gr 300 Win vs 165 in the '06)

However in the case of the LRX, I'd go with the 175 grain at a nominal 3,000 FPS and never look back if I was working up a load all over again.

My go-to load back in the day was a 180 grain XBT which was the original X bullet with a boat tail. That thing flew plenty flat at 3,000 fps from a 26" bbl Winchester M70. I still have a couple boxes of those. Probably would leave them on the shelf and go with an LRX at this point however I know they would still get the job done very well. A 180 gr mono is the equivalent of one or two sizes heavier, at least. The load was accurate and was responsible for whitetails, mule deer and elk before I started using my 35 Whelen AI.

This was well before the proliferation of deliberately setting up a hunting rig for a long range shot. At that point you knew what you had to do if you had a longer shot but you weren't specifically planning for that being the shot.

I'm a copper guy now so probably wouldn't go with a lead bullet. But if I did the 200 AB or 210 ABLR would be on the short list.

dsmiley

FNG
Hey guys, I acquired a new MPR in 300 win today. I have never reloaded for 300 win yet and was curious what your guys's picks in powder would be. I have retumbo, H4831 and H4350. I can get some H1000, but currently do not have any on hand. I am thinking either a 200 gr or 180 gr bullet. Can't decide between the ELD-X and the Accubond. First order of business for this rifle will be moose, so I was leaning toward the Accubond. Really just looking for a starting point to save as much time as possible on load development.
Thanks
My 300 like 180gr barnes ttsx with magnum powder.