300 wsm 3300 fps

Ya. Thats what the box lists on the Winchester 150gr silvertips. 3300 FPS. (Chrono's 3275 by the way)

Now that I got into reloading there really inst a load published that is that high (3300 FPS).

Can someone explain this? I'm relatively new to rifle reloading.

ckleeves

WKR
Published velocity isn’t always perfectly accurate. Some barrels are faster then others, brass can have a big impact, etc. Some published data is pretty anemic, while other times you may not be able to load to published Max before pressure signs start to show up.

Nosler does show a load that hits 3315 with Viht N550. IMR 4831 will more then likely get you there also along with a few other powders.

Start low and work up like always. IME most factory 300 wsm Ammo is loaded pretty hot so reloading for it you usually don’t get a whole lot faster then factory ammo before pressure starts to show. YMMV.

Ya. Thats what the box lists on the Winchester 150gr silvertips. 3300 FPS. (Chrono's 3275 by the way)

Now that I got into reloading there really inst a load published that is that high (3300 FPS).

Can someone explain this? I'm relatively new to rifle reloading.
Dont get hung up on velocity bud.

Pretty much all "book" loads are conservative. No one is going to publish load data that is pushing the limits of a case. Think of the liability.

My best advice is focus on accuracy and let the speed be what it is. Having a 3300fps load does not good if you cant hit the broadside of a barn.

H1000 has been my go to powder for every magnum I have used. I have always had excellent accuracy, consistancy, and decent speed as well.

I've also heard Retumbo and the Reloader powders do very well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

HUNTER100

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't worry about the fps as much as I would the extreme spread or groupings. I'd take a slower load with a low ES and good grouping any day over a fast load. Much easier to shoot accurately and predict your bullet drop.

fatbacks

WKR
Supposedly Superformance is getting some 150 gr bullets up to 3400 FPS per the Hodgdon website... bought some and intend to try the powder as soon as warms up.

Mosby

WKR
I shoot a 130 grain Barnes TSX with RL 17 pretty hot and get much higher fps out of it then factory. Extremely accurate combination. I really don't worry too much about fps in most of my deer rifles. I start a few grains below max with powders and go up until I get consistent accuracy. My WSM is extremely accurate with a hotter load, so I just left it there.

bhylton

WKR
bet you could get the 152gr hammer bullets to 3300. my limited experience with hammers along with everything i have heard from others is usually at LEAST 50fps over other bullets of the same weight. worth a look!