300 WSM Brass

Call.me.porter

Lil-Rokslider
What are you guys finding to be the best brass for the money for this short little pig?

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I have used Norma and Nosler. I have about 8 firings through the Nosler and 4 through the Norma. They are both good. I would recommend either or, depending on availability and price. If Lapua ever decides to make brass for the WSM, I will be getting some of that too.

Wrench

WKR
I haven't tried the norma....but with my luck on 300 brass so far, I'll stick with winchester and sort culls. I have thrown away a lot of $$ in supposed quality brass.

OP
Call.me.porter

Call.me.porter

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be honest, I have been reloading with some brass from Barnes VorTX ammo and the factory crimp on that stuff in gnarly, not to mention it is super hard. I have been all over town to see what is available so so far all I can come up with is Winchester and Hornady. Compared to the quality of the Hornady brass I have used in the past the Wins looked to be a little on the rough side. Lack of QC?

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I've used federal, Winchester and nosler. Nosler is the best. I'd rate winchester #2 and fed #3, only because the primer pockets are loose. If not for that I have sone federal on their 6th trip or so with no other issues. Occasionally i have to superglue a primer in. Superglue, where would we be without it?

bhylton

WKR
Winchester for me. ive used them all, but for what i do, i see no difference and its the cheapest.

Wrench

WKR
I'll preface with Bertram offered to replace my brass when they get some.

I had case heads that were odd sized, brass that was so far off that I couldn't even pull the bullets, case weights were WAY out...and basically it was the worst c note I've ever dropped on a rifle.

Wrench

WKR
Look at the case heads and the center bullet. I couldn't pull it with a collet or inertia puller. The neck is uber thick.20181021_201407.jpg

Shrek

WKR
Look at the case heads and the center bullet. I couldn't pull it with a collet or inertia puller. The neck is uber thick.View attachment 125622
I turn down all of my necks in the WSM and SAUM families. I turn to between 11 and 12 thousandths. I say between because hitting 11 thousandths exactly is tough and anything under 12 thousandths works. Thinner necks with the corresponding greater neck clearance give better SD and ES for me. I’ve got some early Winchester 7mm WSM brass that’s like something you would expect from Lapua but I’ve got some Winchester 7mm WSM from newer pull down that’s rough. Funny thing is I don’t own a 7 WSM right now but I’ve got everything to load for it. Need to put one together but I’m in love with my 6.5 SAUM so can’t justify it yet.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
That looks like a really terrible batch of brass for sure! I have a little bit of Bertram 300 WSM brass and it seems to be ok so far.

OP
Call.me.porter

Call.me.porter

Lil-Rokslider
Well guys, I went with Hornady because that's what was available alongside some rough looking Winchester brass. I haven't heard a lot about Hornady brass for the 300 WSM but I have used it with the wife's 6.5CM and have been fairly impressed. After going through all the cases this is what I found out about it, if anyone is at all interested.

All were in good physical shape and ad 49 of 50 useable, the one that was not had a pretty bad deformity in the shoulder and through the neck. About 75% were right on at 2.090" the rest were +/- .001". Weights were better than I expected with the heaviest being 245.5gr and lightest being 240.5gr, and 90% of them being +/- 1gr of 243.5 which for my needs is more than acceptable. For this case I have never weight sorted brass. Now to see how many firings I can stretch out of them. May be time to start annealing.

Wrench

WKR
I turn down all of my necks in the WSM and SAUM families. I turn to between 11 and 12 thousandths. I say between because hitting 11 thousandths exactly is tough and anything under 12 thousandths works. Thinner necks with the corresponding greater neck clearance give better SD and ES for me. I’ve got some early Winchester 7mm WSM brass that’s like something you would expect from Lapua but I’ve got some Winchester 7mm WSM from newer pull down that’s rough. Funny thing is I don’t own a 7 WSM right now but I’ve got everything to load for it. Need to put one together but I’m in love with my 6.5 SAUM so can’t justify it yet.
I too turn for uniformity. I wanted to fire form the brass first....but my rifle went 3moa from .3 so I was scratching my head. Then I ripped a case rim....and csi started. That bullet swadged down to. 25" and still won't budge.