300 WSM Elk Bullet Suggestions?

Another vote for the 180 Accubonds. Everything from small game to large with varying distances, they get the job done.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Those TTSX are very tough bullets. I saw a 180gr TTSX in action at a similar range this fall. It performed great. I also saw the performance of a 185gr Berger Classic Hunter. It performed as expected, penetrated inside the shoulder and broke up. I used a 7mm 168gr Berger Classic Hunter at 325yds and it had 41% weight retention. All 3 bulls went less than 10 yards.

Berger’s get a bad wrap. I understand people’s concern with them, especially on larger dense animals. They are incredibly accurate though.

If you want to mess with a bullet other than Barnes the next best option IMO is the Nosler Accubonds. I took a muley with my 300 WSM in 2019. The 180gr Accubond performed excellent.

Check you my post below in regards to bullet design.

Seems like the key to the bergers is making sure the hollow point is free of obstruction all the way to the lead, proper shot placement as always is mandatory.

I'd recommend trying the 190gr Accubond LR. I shoot the Nosler factory offering and have shot alaskan black bear, whitetail deer, caribou, kudu, gemsbok, wildebeest, and impala with good success. Ranges to the animal varied from 35-440 yards. All animals were found dead within 50 yards of the point of impact.
If it is a new barrel be careful with the ablr bullets. I wasted a bunch of time with both the 190 and 210's only to contact nosler and be told those bullets dont typically like a new barrel.

rootacres

WKR
Seems like the key to the bergers is making sure the hollow point is free of obstruction all the way to the lead, proper shot placement as always is mandatory.

I think that is part of it for sure. I do take shoulder shots as a preference. I also believe that when the impact velocities are too high (closer shots) the bullets break up quicker. Had my shot been at 100 yds instead of 325 or if the MV of my rifle was 3000 instead of 2850 the performance would have probably been more similar to my brothers 300 WM w/ 185gr Berger that basically blew up after a couple inches of penetration.

204guy

WKR
Huh? Not in .30 cal it’s not.
No, but the 168 ttsx is- according to Barnes- supposed to be softer than the 165 ttsx. Something about the 168 for 308 velocities and 165 for 300WM velocities.

The only difference I can see between the 168 TTSX and 175 LRX is a slightly extended boat tail. Nose shape, bearing surface, and grove location are identical. Even the boat tail angle is the same. The biggest difference I suspect is marketing.

From experience, the 175 will have a pretty minimal mushroom below 2200 fps. It’s otherwise a fine bullet.

SDHNTR

WKR
No, but the 168 ttsx is- according to Barnes- supposed to be softer than the 165 ttsx. Something about the 168 for 308 velocities and 165 for 300WM velocities.
Learn sumpin new evry day! I always wondered why they made not the 165 and the 168ttsx.

Marty

Lil-Rokslider
G
If it is a new barrel be careful with the ablr bullets. I wasted a bunch of time with both the 190 and 210's only to contact nosler and be told those bullets dont typically like a new barrel.
Good to know. Thanks for sharing!

zwickeyman

Lil-Rokslider
180 gr or 200 Partitions. I shoot 200 gr Partitions out of my HC 300 WM and it drops everything on the spot

308ghost

FNG
I have had good results with 185 Berger classic hunters, 168 Nosler ABLR, and Nosler 190 ABLR.
All shoot 1 moa or less at 600 yards with the 185s and 168s being half moa for 3 shot groups.
Berger's are right at 3000, 168s are at 3050 and the 190s are 2900. These are in nodes I found with my load work. all of these bullets got going faster than what I posted but not as accurate. I use Nos brass and RL 16 for all tests.

Unoboats

WKR
I have a Hells Canyon Speed in 300 WSM that I killed my first elk with this fall. The bullet was a Barnes TTSX 165 grain and it performed perfectly at 286 yards going right through the opposite shoulder and lodging in the hide. While I start to think about my next elk hunt I plan on experimenting with a couple of different bullets to see if I can squeeze a little more accuracy out of my setup. Of the bullets I have tried the Barnes and Nosler Trophy Grade Accubond have been the best.. I am looking at trying the Nosler Partition 180 grain and Federal Trophy Bonded Tip in 180 Grain. Due to some reports around terminal performance issues, I am not looking at Bergers or Hornady ELDX. Are there any other bullets I might consider experimenting with while trying to find the perfect "one"?

Thank You!!

Hammer Hunters. I use the 166 hammer hunters in my 300WSM and my load shoots regularly under .5 moa. Mostly a ragged hole. And hits bid animals like Thor’s Hammer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barnes will tell you it is, they just don’t “label” it that way.

I think you are partially correct. The 168 TTSX (what I shoot out of my 30/06) has a different ogive than the 165 TTSX. The Barnes LRX IS (emphasis on 'is') designed to open at a lower velocity. They designed the LRX so when you shoot them at long range, they will expand at lower velocities of the longer extended range. But, the 168 TTSX (not the LRX version) is still recommended to be above 1800 fps for proper expansion.