300 WSM Elk Bullet Suggestions?

25orSo

Lil-Rokslider
I am just starting to load for my 300WSM and have chosen to start with the 180 grain bullet weight.

Fortunately I have a few Nosler Partitions to begin with. I have some Accubonds as well, but I am going to save those till I get some of the kinks worked out. Right now there isn't much supply of .308 bullets to be had.

I have never had any issue with the performance of a Partition bullet so that has always been my go to in the other calibers I load for. I have every expectation that they will perform well in the 300WSM.

It is good to hear the support for the Accubond. I haven't taken the opportunity to use it much - yet.

Thanks for the tread @BCD

Not from barnes that I'm aware of. They do sell 150&165 gr ttsx in 300wsm factory loads. I tried multiple boxes from different lot numbers out of a Tikka t3x, Kimber 8400montana, and an Xbolt.
Best accuracy i could get was 3/4 moa from the three rifles, the Tikka had heavy bolt lift every shot in both grains but produced the tightest groups.....
I did shoot two coyotes with the 165 gr and it was an impressive exit hole on both.
Ymmv.
Are the Hammers or LRX available in factory ammo?

Squincher

WKR
I see that but don’t see many people recommending them for the 300WSM but it seems like everyone recommends them in 3006. I wonder why

Because people with sense enough to shoot the 06 also have sense enough to use partitions.

JFK

WKR
Trying to squeeze accuracy out of factory ammo is difficult and amounts to buying boxes of ammo and seeing what works. No way to dial anything in. No way of changing things like powder and seating depth to really find what it likes. That said, you probably don’t need to reload unless you want to.

You have had good luck with the Barnes. You wouldn’t be the first person to say they are the most accurate factory option for their rifle. You have had good luck with the performance of Barnes on game. So I guess I’d ask why change? Unless you start hand loading it will just be guessing with factory ammo. Sounds like you might already have a winning combo, with the confidence going into next year that it worked this year.