300 wsm elk bullet

All American Boy

Lil-Rokslider
I can't speak for all of them. But I shoot Federal Trophy Bonded Tip 180 grain in my Tikka T3 lite 300 WSM. It has always worked well on elk. Have not had issues of the bullet breaking up, and has penetrated deep.

406unltd

WKR
I haven’t personally used either of those two. Not because I wouldn’t use them but I chose to use the ttsx from Barnes in 165 since the day I bought the rifle. Last two bulls went down with a single round. One at 160 the other 320. Both rounds I recovered under the hide on the offside. Both bullets had full expansion with an easy 90%or better weight retention.

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
I’ve had good luck with the accubond on deer. One elk at ten yards, so not sure how to judge that performance.
I’ve only taken a 150 pound hog with the tbt, wrecked both shoulders and dropped him on the spot with a golf ball sized exit

Mosby

WKR
180 grain accubond, Winchester
180 grain trophy bonded tip, federal
They both shoot well in my rifle, which do you think is better for elk
Both are quality bullets. Between those two, I would use whichever provides the faster fps and less drop.

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
Will most likely stick with accubond, they seem to really beat animals up on lung shots.
Just thought the tbt might be better in case of accidental shoulder shot

Fullfan

WKR
I have never shot either, bud of mine shot a bull less than 100yds 3 times with the trophy bonded tip 180gn ammo. Was not impressed, we found all three bullets under the skin on the off side. I hand load 180 TTSX's, last three bulls were one shot kills all under 300yds. Never recovered the slug...

stagliano

FNG
I haven’t personally used either of those two. Not because I wouldn’t use them but I chose to use the ttsx from Barnes in 165 since the day I bought the rifle. Last two bulls went down with a single round. One at 160 the other 320. Both rounds I recovered under the hide on the offside. Both bullets had full expansion with an easy 90%or better weight retention.

I've switched to Barnes TTSX as well out of my 7mm Rem. Pleased to hear this review as I'm always just a little nervous when I switch. What was the wound channel and meat loss like on those two elk you got?

406unltd

WKR
Meat loss wasn’t an issue because of shot placement. Unless you are counting the rib meat of course. Wound channel I can’t really confirm either. The exit wasn’t huge, probably could stick two fingers into the hole. All I know is that the first one went 20 yds and I heard him coughing then dump over. The second dropped where he was on s steep slope then shot off a 10’ cliff and never moved once he landed. Great bullets IMO ED36A4FD-EB25-4C02-B40B-0DD32525FC38.jpeg

A 190 gr AB LR would far out perform either of those two 180 gr bullets out of your 300 WSM. I load a 150 gr AB LR for a .270 and at 500 yds retains more velocity and KE than a flatter shooting 140 or 130 does because of the higher BC.

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
I’ve heard they are softer than the regular accubond. Most shots are within 200 yards for me and I don’t shoot passed 400, just a personal line

I've had great luck with Accubonds. I just got a really nice grizzly bear using a 140 gr. Accubond in my 280 AI. It hit tight behind his right shoulder and exited out the left side. Expansion looked great and the exit hole was about 3/4-1" in diameter. The bear spun 180 degrees and did two tight somersaults and never moved after that. I shot a nice cow elk with that same bullet two falls ago at 450 yards. One shot and she tipped over after going 20 yards. A whitetail at 200 yards dropped on the spot with a lung shot. Same with an antelope doe at about 300 yards.

Im getting ready to try out the 155s and 180 accubonds in my 300wsm. By what I’m reading the Barnes might be good

stagliano

FNG
Meat loss wasn’t an issue because of shot placement. Unless you are counting the rib meat of course. Wound channel I can’t really confirm either. The exit wasn’t huge, probably could stick two fingers into the hole. All I know is that the first one went 20 yds and I heard him coughing then dump over. The second dropped where he was on s steep slope then shot off a 10’ cliff and never moved once he landed. Great bullets IMO View attachment 120319

Thanks for the info. Hopefully I get the opportunity to use them this fall.