300 WSM Hornady GMX

TexAg08

FNG
Just a brief intro, I read hours of threads last year about different hunting rounds for the 300 WSM and eventually settled on the Hornady Precision Hunter. I took an Elk last year at around 300 yds and was somewhat disappointed with its performance. For the kill shot, I was shooting down hill quartering away, so the bullet entered his right side behind the shoulder and stopped on the offside shoulder joint. The bullet hit the bone and blew up, destroying most of the upper shoulder meat.

I am looking at trying the Hornady GMX based rounds for next years hunt as well as using on deer when I get the chance. What is everyone's experience with the GMX bullets vs Barnes TSX/TTSX?

Singleshot

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve always had good luck with the Barnes especially on larger game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LightFoot

WKR
Following.

I am thinking about trying the 180gr GMX in my 300 WSM for similar reasons.

I have used the 200gr ELD-X, which shoots great. I use the 178gr ELD-X exclusively in my 30-06 and had great results. In my experience, on lung/heart shots, it produces catastrophic internal hemorrhaging (meat damage), but also very quick kills. All 1 shot kills and all but 1 were DRT.

>>>----JAKE----->

For my son's 300 WSM I load 180 gr. Nosler Accubonds in it. It has been a great bullet in this caliber and others. I just used a 140 gr. Nosler Accubond in late August on my Arctic grizzly bear hunt in Alaska. I took a fantastic old boar with one shot using that bullet in my 280 AI. The Accubond is a winner and you can find it in factory loads if you do not reload. Hard to beat a Nosler Partition as well for just about anything you would want to hunt.

David

SDHNTR

WKR
Killed piles of stuff with the GMX. They work great. They expand well enough for rib hits and hold together well enough on shoulder hits.

JonRush

Lil-Rokslider
If you are shooting factory and not reloading, the Barnes Long Range LRX 190gr are a great game bullet. I really them with very good results, I assume the factory will be good also coming from Barnes.

SDHNTR

WKR
With that said, what grain? 180gr or 165gr?
I’d prefer 165 as A lil more speed ensures better expansion. BC’s are good enough in the lighter bullets because GMX’s are a long bullet. But ultimately, shoot the one that is more accurate out of your gun.

Carl

FNG
I have taken quite a few animals with my 300 wsm with 190 Accubond long ranges. They have been a great bullet, from 150 yds out to 650. I shot a whitetail doe last week at 500, clean pass through, with minimal exit wound. Also shot a bull on Friday at 575. It entered jist behind the shoulder, and stopped in the scapula on the off side. Attached is the photo of the bullet. Past experiences have been similar as well.
b88859a5090df71b7b625675e1d08dcf.jpg

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

I switched to 165 Barnes TSX this year for my 300 wsm. I have zero bad things to say about how they shoot or how they kill.

But I have only used them this year so my limited experience may not be the best to go by.

ericF

WKR
Been using 168gr TTSX for about 8 years on elk and have had great results. Barnes recommends loading down to a lower bullet weight for a given caliber for the extra velocity and expansion that comes with it. No experience with the GMX or if they have the same recommendation.

Forest

WKR
The 165gr gmx in superformance ammo would be a great fit if it shoots decent. Also look at the nosler etip it is virtually the same thing. Barnes ttsx also very similar. Shot my deer with an etip this year and really liked it a lot, no meat ruined at all. I will be looking at more copper options for my other guns moving forward too

OP
TexAg08

TexAg08

FNG
Decided to just jump into reloading so I can customize. Plan on running 175gr LRX in front of some H4350. This will be my New Year's hobby.

BCsteve

WKR
H4350 and RL19 are the best two powders in my .300 WSM with the 175gr LRX. Both right at 3000fps and a nudge to RL19 for accuracy.

406unltd

WKR
I took two bulls with the ttsx. I used the 165 in my 300 wsm. Performance was great with them and I recovered both bullets. My gun likes a heavier bullet a little better so I switched ammo this year to the outfitter 180 GMX. It’s accurate and I expect the same if not better results with them.