300 WSM load development

I have picked up 3 lbs of Vihta Vuori N160 powder, Winchester Large Rifle Magnum Primers and Barnes bullets in 165 gr TTSX, 175 gr LRX BT & 180 gr TSX BT. Shooting a Tikka T3 and once fired Barnes Brass. I can not find any information in my load book (Lyman 49th edition) that lists the Barnes ammo or on the VV or Barnes website that has the bullet powder combo to reference.

I am building a ladder test to take out and identify what is the optimal mix of bullet and powder but can not find any information on the 300 WSM with barnes ammo and the 160 powder. My gun shoots excellent with the 165 grain Barnes factory ammo but am open to any of the bullets listed above as I have 150 of each.

I am looking to set up a ladder test with each of the 3 bullets and was planning to shoot 5 rounds of each bullet backed by 62, 63, 64 & 65 grains of powder watching for pressure signs as I climb charge wise.

Questions:
1. Does anyone have any load info that they have worked up with the VV powder and Barnes bullets?
2. Is it necessary to put a crimp on these rounds? I have a Lee crimp die, but it only works with the 165 gr bullet. When I tried it with the 175 grain it was bumping the shoulder on the cases.
3. Is there any reason I would be better off with a different VV powder? I picked up a couple lbs. of 550 and 560 when everything was becoming scarce just to give myself options.
4. If you had access to free primers that were 30ish years old would you hesitate to use them for any reason? Would it be advantageous to use a fresh batch of Federal Match Grade Large Rifle primers instead of the older magnums?
5. Any thing i need to keep in mind as I go? I am new to reloading and would like to keep my fingers and face in tact.

When the tem climbs above 0 here in MN I will be getting out to do a little shooting and will post my results here as I go.

Thanks in advance for the feedback

JFK

WKR
I cannot help you with a specific load for your 300wsm. I’m still fairly new to reloading myself having started last year.

The best advice I can give you is to develop a process. Write it down and do it the same way every time. Be meticulous in every step from case prep to weighing charges to seating. Set yourself up for success by using consistent components of good quality. Lastly, use published data and don’t go into uncharted territory with powders if it’s your first go at it. I remember firing my first hand load and it made me nervous. Not cause I had any reason to be. I did everything right and used published data from a manual. But you are creating a 65k psi explosion 6” from your face and if anything goes wrong it’s entirely on you. Not the time to be second guessing if an untested load you got from a guy on the internet is safe or not. If the powder you have on hand isn’t listed in any manuals it may be that way for a reason. I used Barnes suggested powder in their load data and hit the jackpot first try. Made it very easy. Besides the safety issue of using a powder not suggested my the maker, you might end up chasing your tail trying to find an accurate load and burn up a bunch of time, powder and bullets trying to make it work.

The 30 year old primers should, in theory, be fine. If you have new ones I’d use those if it were me.

No need to crimp the Barnes bullets.

Good luck.

Rieckman

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have a 300, but I've loaded a few barnes bullets.

Assuming you have the barnes brass from factory ammo, do you have any left? If it shot good you can measure to the ogive. The barnes I've loaded seem to be jump sensitive so if you already found a decent seating depth you've saved some primers, bullets, powder on that aspect.

1. I haven't loaded any Vit powders, but Barnes has awesome customer service in that regard and if you email they will get back to you if they have any load data.
2. I wouldn't crimp. If it's a seat/crimp die, i wouldn't do them in the same step ever.
3. Only reason would be is if it's a recommended powder from Barnes or someone has data on the powders somewhere.
4. I'd use the magnums if they were stored properly.
5. Be consistent and diligent.

Good luck, I'm glad the warmer weather peaked up in MN lately so we can shoot outside without my ice fishing gear on.