300 wsm new Nosler brass is not the same as Norma

I had a 300 wsm built a few months ago from a Tikka action. Basically just spun a Benchmark barrel in 1-9.5 twist on to shoot 200-212 bullets, so nothing extensive.

When I saw where reloading components were heading last summer I bought enough components to last a while for this rifle. I found 120 once fired Nosler brass that are a little older, not sure of age (stamped Nosler). Then I bought 50 pieces of new Norma brass and 50 pieces of new Nosler brass (stamped NOS).

During load development I just used the new Norma brass. Had a pretty good load worked up with 65.5 gr H4831sc, new Norma brass, CCI 250, and 212 eld-x. Seated .09” off the lands was very promising.

I ran out of new Norma brass, so to finalize the last tweaks, I loaded some of the new Nosler brass with the same charge and varied the seating depths in .005 increments to see if I could find a magic combo.

While shooting the new Nosler brass, I was getting sticky bolt lift and recoil was noticeable. Quick chrono reading gave me 2805 FPS at 65.5 gr of powder, which is a little faster than what I was seeing with the new Norma brass. Groups went to hell as well and did not match up with what I had seen using Norma brass, plus I was obviously flirting with too much pressure.

Decided to weigh the new Nosler brass and they all weighed around 261 grains. Very consistent, as 10 cases were all within .4 grains. The new Norma brass weighed 247 grains average, and the old Nosler brass was in the same range. Both the old Nosler and new Norma brass are within 3-4 grains of each other.

Thinking the old rumor that Norma makes Nosler brass was true, but that is no longer the case.

While I think the new Nosler brass is extremely consistent, it is not matching up with the old Nosler and new Norma brass. Since I have 170 cases of old Nosler and new Norma brass, might have to get rid of the new Nosler brass in order to keep things consistent. I’m also excited to see what ADG comes up with later this year.

Just some data for those reloading the 300 wsm. Yes, I was dumb to assume they were the same, so my mistake might help someone down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also use old nosler and norma with the same charges in 300 WSM. Don't have new nosler in 300 WSM to compare.

I did however try out some new Nosler 300 wm brass yesterday and it is showing way more velocity (80ish FPS) than the same powder charge weight was showing in Norma brass.

OP
F
I also use old nosler and norma with the same charges in 300 WSM. Don't have new nosler in 300 WSM to compare.

I did however try out some new Nosler 300 wm brass yesterday and it is showing way more velocity (80ish FPS) than the same powder charge weight was showing in Norma brass.

Yeah, what you’re seeing in the 300 wm new Nosler brass is what I found with the wsm. It’s heavier, possibly thicker/less capacity, and must be generating a fair amount of higher pressure. I was happy with the velocity, but groups were not great and as I mentioned, sticky bolt lift tells me I’d have to go down in charge.
I’ll test the old Nosler and Norma brass one more time, and if results are good, I’ll likely buy another case of Norma. I’d rather keep it consistent, and not have to play around with finding a different load with the new Nosler brass.

Andy Ivy

FNG
Thanks for the info
Im still running Win brass with good results.
Any definitive word from ADG on the 300WSM brass ?

OP
F
Thanks for the info
Im still running Win brass with good results.
Any definitive word from ADG on the 300WSM brass ?

I heard sometime in June or July. I’ve never tried ADG, but when my supply of Norma and older Nosler goes, probably give it a shot. Had I know Lapua was coming out with 300 win brass, it might have swayed me to go that route.

308ghost

FNG
I like the Nos brass a ton. I just got some of the seconds from SPS. 225 pieces of them. 100 are from a lot last fall and 125 from this spring. No notable change in loads. I had to clean up the case mouth of some but over all I love em. The primer pockets are super tite even after two firings. Great value and in a rifle like this I think that brass will last forever. I try and keep them all the same brands and lots as much as possible.

OP
F
I like the Nos brass a ton. I just got some of the seconds from SPS. 225 pieces of them. 100 are from a lot last fall and 125 from this spring. No notable change in loads. I had to clean up the case mouth of some but over all I love em. The primer pockets are super tite even after two firings. Great value and in a rifle like this I think that brass will last forever. I try and keep them all the same brands and lots as much as possible.

It’s good stuff, but hard to find right now. Since I have almost 200 pieces of old Nosler brass and Norma, think I’ll likely sell these to keep things consistent. I think it’s excellent quality, but not cheap and very hard to find at the moment. Haven’t really had enough time to see if it’s that much better than Norma, but I would doubt it.

MThuntr

WKR
This is why I try to stick to single lots of brass...pushing higher charges exaggerates slight differences in brass.

I have some 300WSM Winchester brass from 2 different lots. 1 load is hot while the other is dangerous hot. Unfortunately I mixed the lots after fireforming and I'm guessing the whole pile will be demoted to mild loads if I can find something accurate.

308ghost

FNG
It’s good stuff, but hard to find right now. Since I have almost 200 pieces of old Nosler brass and Norma, think I’ll likely sell these to keep things consistent. I think it’s excellent quality, but not cheap and very hard to find at the moment. Haven’t really had enough time to see if it’s that much better than Norma, but I would doubt it.

If you haven’t, set an email notification for shootersProshop.com for seconds and firsts. That’s right here in bend Oregon right a crossed the parking lot from Nosler. For that’s been my best source for 300 wsm brass since I started loading for it in October. They will make more soon.

Last edited:
OP
F
If you haven’t, set an email notification for shootersProshop.com for seconds and firsts. That’s right here in bend Oregon right a crossed the parking lot from Nosler. For that’s been the best source for 300 wsm brass since I started loading for it in October. They will make more soon.

I have purchased blem bullets from them before, and I do hit Bend once in a while. I’ll keep my eye on their inventory. Then again, might also be easier just to swap to all Norma and old Nosler brass since I have almost 200 pieces of those vs 50 pieces of the new Nosler brass.

B23

WKR
Nosler has their own brass manufacturing line now so not all Nosler brass is made by Norma like it used to be.

Which is Norma made and which is Nosler made I don't know, it's all head stamped Nosler, but it would be nice if Nosler would put something out so people would know which manufacturer made the brass they're getting when they buy it.

OP
F
Nosler has their own brass manufacturing line now so not all Nosler brass is made by Norma like it used to be.

Which is Norma made and which is Nosler made I don't know, it's all head stamped Nosler, but it would be nice if Nosler would put something out so people would know which manufacturer made the brass they're getting when they buy it.

From what I gather, the brass stamped Nosler is Norma brass. I got 120 pieces of once fired Nosler stamped brass and they weigh 243-246 grains. The Norma brass I bought new is also in the 246-248 grain range. Not exact, but close enough to assume they’re the same. The new Nosler brass I bought is stamped NOS and weigh 261-262 grains. So not the same.