300 WSM Recoil - Your Comparative Experience

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
Based on your own experiences, how would you compare, describe, or rate the 300 WSM recoil out of a standard average , 8-9 lb. with scope, bolt action rifle? We’ll assume a good butt pad is on the stock, and no brake. Comparisons such as “recoil compared to my xxx cal. is .....” are helpful.

If I had shot a 300 WSM before and I have not, then my description would be “it kicks a lot more, ....lot less, ....about the same,.... etc as my trusty 30 yr old Ruger 7mm Rem Mag which is not too bad and I’m used to it.”

Tell me what you think. Thanks.

Last edited:

Forest

WKR
Much less than a 300rum, fair bit more than a 7mm-08. Closest one I've shot to it is probably the 270 wsm.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

elkguide

WKR
.30 caliber fanboy here.
I would compare the WSM to the WM the same way that I compare the .308 to the 30-06.
The .308 seems to jump at you while the '06 seems to push harder.
The WSM comes back quicker than the WM but no harder.
The WSM that I occasionally hunt with is in a Kimber Montana that weighs in at 7#4oz and yes it does have more felt recoil than the 8#10oz Cooper WM that is my go to hunting rifle, same bullet and charge.

I have some pretty specific experience with what you're asking... but, I think stock design and the load you're shooting will wildly vary the felt recoil and muddy the answers you're going to get on this.

I have a 8lb 12oz 300 WSM scoped, right in the middle of what you are talking about. I run all of my guns suppressed and with a break depending on what I am doing and the recoil is different when I switch, but I will speak pretty generally to shooting with a 2-3 port break since you didnt ask about suppressed.

My 300 WSM is snappy, but I am running a pretty hot load with 200g bullets. When I shot it with 180g Nosler factory stuff it was way more mild. So the round has some versatility to load it down, or shoot softer factory stuff and be pretty manageable. Stock design will play a big role like I noted above - you looking at factory or custom build?

As far as the recoil comparison its gonna kick more the 6.5's or some milder 7's. I have a 6.5-284 with a pretty mild load and its softer shooting, and my 6.5 creed is way softer.

If you want to shoot a 30 cal, a 300wsm with a 165-180gr bullet is probably as soft as a 30 will be. If you are worried about the recoil as a top priority then maybe you look at stepping back from a 30 cal and look at a 7mm or a fast 6.5 and shoot heavier bullets. You can shoot 180 class or the 168-175gr bullets in 7mm's, so it may benefit you to step back to that caliber if you're worried about the recoil. without losing a lot to a 30 depending on what your hunting and how far you're shooting. Not what you asked about, but something to think about if you haven't...

With that said I love my 300wsm, but I built mine for a 30 cal with a shorter barrel, shorter action, thus a more packable and carry freindly 30 cal in mind. I wasn't even thinking about recoil.

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
Based on your own experiences, how would you compare, describe, or rate the 300 WSM recoil out of a standard average , 8-9 lb. with scope, bolt action rifle? We’ll assume a good butt pad is on the stock, and no brake. Comparisons such as “recoil compared to my xxx cal. is .....” are helpful.

If I had shot a 300 WSM before and I have not, then my description would be “it kicks a lot more, ....lot less, ....about the same,.... etc as my trusty 30 yr old Ruger 7mm Rem Mag which is not too bad and I’m used to it.”

Tell me what you think. Thanks.

Great info here: https://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavePwns

WKR
A 8lb 300 wsm with no brake but with a limbsaver recoil pad felt less recoil than a 9lb 30- 06 i shot without the recoil pad

OP
Go West Old Man

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
I have some pretty specific experience with what you're asking... but, I think stock design and the load you're shooting will wildly vary the felt recoil and muddy the answers you're going to get on this.

I have a 8lb 12oz 300 WSM scoped, right in the middle of what you are talking about. I run all of my guns suppressed and with a break depending on what I am doing and the recoil is different when I switch, but I will speak pretty generally to shooting with a 2-3 port break since you didnt ask about suppressed.

My 300 WSM is snappy, but I am running a pretty hot load with 200g bullets. When I shot it with 180g Nosler factory stuff it was way more mild. So the round has some versatility to load it down, or shoot softer factory stuff and be pretty manageable. Stock design will play a big role like I noted above - you looking at factory or custom build?

As far as the recoil comparison its gonna kick more the 6.5's or some milder 7's. I have a 6.5-284 with a pretty mild load and its softer shooting, and my 6.5 creed is way softer.

If you want to shoot a 30 cal, a 300wsm with a 165-180gr bullet is probably as soft as a 30 will be. If you are worried about the recoil as a top priority then maybe you look at stepping back from a 30 cal and look at a 7mm or a fast 6.5 and shoot heavier bullets. You can shoot 180 class or the 168-175gr bullets in 7mm's, so it may benefit you to step back to that caliber if you're worried about the recoil. without losing a lot to a 30 depending on what your hunting and how far you're shooting. Not what you asked about, but something to think about if you haven't...

With that said I love my 300wsm, but I built mine for a 30 cal with a shorter barrel, shorter action, thus a more packable and carry freindly 30 cal in mind. I wasn't even thinking about recoil.
Brightwhite, thanks and this is good info. It’s interesting that you mentioned suppressed & maybe I should’ve asked about that. My interest is an option to suppress since I already have a .30 cal can.

Long story, but I bought a used Ruger Predator 308 couple years ago simply to test the suppression experience. Lot of fun & I was amazed at how quiet it was. Then sold the Predator as planned with idea of moving up to a quality threaded factory rifle, & a 308 Montana is probably my first preference but it’s impossible to find the newer threaded barrel model right now. I’ve shopped, but I’m in no hurry. ( Kimber’s challenges with COVID mandated shutdown in NY state, Kimber moving some mfg. to AL, demand, etc. ..... I’ve talked to Kimber directly.)

The 300 WSM interest & question arose from a conversation with someone who says it’s a big kicker, but I like the short(er) actions. Having a 7Mag that is a keeper, I’m not apprehensive about trying something with probable similar recoil.

Last edited:
The 300 WSM interest & question arose from a conversation with someone who says it’s a big kicker, but I like the short(er) actions. Having a 7Mag that is a keeper, I’m not apprehensive about trying something with probable similar recoil.
The 300WSM‘s recoil energy and speed is somewhere between the 30-06/7mm Rem Mag and the 300 Win. I find it more comfortable to shoot than my 300 Win or 300 Wea

Kickstep

FNG
In my experience, I have shot a Ruger M77 in 300WSM which is about 8.5lb scoped and the felt recoil seemed to be similar to a 30-06 Tikka T3 Lite which is about 7.5lb scoped.

khuber84

WKR
Put a limbsaver on it if you're concerned with recoil. If after shooting a few hundred rounds(to see if you can get used to the rifle) have the barrel threaded and put a small 3 port brake on it. My 8.2# 300wsm pushing 215 Bergers @ 2850 is very easy to shoot, but I do have one of @LivetohuntID titanium 5 port brakes on it. This brake does a great job, is very light. It is actually quieter than my 26" 6.5 Sherman max with a 4 port ti beast brake.

Definitely!

I shot my '06 today with a 180gr bullet at 2850fps charged with h4350 as well as a 200gr bullet with a comparative charge of AA4350.

The 180gr load kicked much harder.

This ^

Use this calculator to compare apples to apples.

For comparison, a standard common 180 grain load at 2900 FPS only has 75% of the recoil of TDHanses berger 215 load in the same gun. That's a big difference in the same cartridge, both loads are beyond capable.