300 WSM recommendation

zorkieo

FNG
HI All

I want to build a 300 WSM hunting rifle that's lightweight, has a muzzle brake, and costs under $1500. I already have a Zeiss v4 scope for it but cant decide on the rifle. what does everyone recommend? for Elk mostly out to 500 yards.

Ditto on the Tikka. Add a longer magazine and bolt stop, feed it 200.20x, 205 Hybrids, or 208 ELD M over RL23 or 26. It's good for a lot more than 500 yards.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

davsco

WKR
my tikka t3x lite in 300wsm with altitude stock and hellfire brake got me elk at 200 and 400 yds last october. it ain't fancy or sexy but they work. pic is with a prior brake. i had to get this one threaded, 1/2-28, but they have a model or models now that come threaded, not yet for lefties though...tikka mesa brake L.jpg

Last edited:

KG406

FNG
Like everyone else said the Tikka T3x and replacement stock would be hard to beat. I like my completely factory tikka just as much as my christensen ridgeline that cost more than double. If you were willing to stretch the budget a bit I'd look at the X-bolt pro. 300WSM with 23" 1:10" barrel, cerakote, brake, and fiberglass stock at 6.3lb... will likely be my next rifle.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Tikka seems like a great platform for the 300wsm, I wouldn’t mind having one. right now though, I’m really liking those browning hells canyon long range rifles. One of those will be my next rifle purchase.

I enjoy my 300 win mag and 243 both in the tikkas. Kind of wish it was a 300 WSM, there’s some great builds on here to drool over.

Bak222

FNG
I’m in the same boat. I have a tikka 6.5 CM that I really like. I wanted to tikka t3x lite stainless 300 wsm that I could cut down and thread. Can’t find any in stock though. Any similar recommendations?

BCD

WKR
I don't like Tikkas even a little bit but yes I know they are shooters. I would look at the Browning Hells Canyon or Savage Ultralight.

308ghost

FNG
Tikka is the best bang for the buck…. Pun intended. You get tons of features, and the option of prefit barrels from several company’s after or before you wear out the first one. They are very consistent performers out of the box. It’s personal preference in the end and most manufacturers make decent stuff but look at the aftermarket support. Who makes what for what when it’s time to replace things like stocks, barrels, triggers, and mounts. It’s perfect with a DNZ Game Reaper and the Vortex LHT 3-15x44. Just my opinion.

Bak222

FNG
I don't like Tikkas even a little bit but yes I know they are shooters. I would look at the Browning Hells Canyon or Savage Ultralight.
Browning hells canyon is nice. But the barrel is fluted and I don’t think I could cut it and have enough shoulder for a suppressor.

Savage ultralight looks like a great value, I won’t be able to shorten the CF barrel tho.

I was looking at the browning X bolt stainless stalker to cut down, hard to find right now also.

Bak222

FNG
Tikka is the best bang for the buck…. Pun intended. You get tons of features, and the option of prefit barrels from several company’s after or before you wear out the first one. They are very consistent performers out of the box. It’s personal preference in the end and most manufacturers make decent stuff but look at the aftermarket support. Who makes what for what when it’s time to replace things like stocks, barrels, triggers, and mounts. It’s perfect with a DNZ Game Reaper and the Vortex LHT 3-15x44. Just my opinion.
Yea, that’s what I was set on. I wanted to cut and thread the barrel, maybe upgrade the stock. Can only find the stainless in 300 win mag tho. I wanted 300 wsm because I read of better performance out of shorter barrels. If I wasn’t planning on shortening and suppressing if just do the 300 WM

308ghost

FNG
Yea, that’s what I was set on. I wanted to cut and thread the barrel, maybe upgrade the stock. Can only find the stainless in 300 win mag tho. I wanted 300 wsm because I read of better performance out of shorter barrels. If I wasn’t planning on shortening and suppressing if just do the 300 WM
My man your theory is correct! Less powder burning more efficiently provides similar velocities as the win mag. It’s pretty darn nice! I cut mine off just in front of the flutes. It’s about 21”.

Attachments

• 64F6107A-5B21-4E78-BACE-1E15A2A3A95D.jpeg
    64F6107A-5B21-4E78-BACE-1E15A2A3A95D.jpeg
    442.4 KB · Views: 27

Bak222

FNG
My man your theory is correct! Less powder burning more efficiently provides similar velocities as the win mag. It’s pretty darn nice! I cut mine off just in front of the flutes. It’s about 21”.
Sweet setup! Maybe I’ll keep my eyes peeled for a superlite

T28w

WKR
What are some good replacement stock options for a 300 wsm tikka, that like tikka, are good for the money. Good value stocks, not the most expensive.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
There's a guy on the classifieds selling a sako finnlight with 1:10 pacnor barrel. I'd take a serious look at it.