300 wsm Remington 700 rebarrel

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
Alright guys looking to see if what I’m thinking is possible, I have a Remington 700 in 300wsm that I don’t use I bought a Kimber Mountain Ascent that kind of pushed the Remington to the back of the safe and doesn’t get used. Anyway I was thinking of what options I have to rebarrel this rifle to something I might actually use. I was wondering if it is possible to rebarrel this to the new 6.8 western cartridge? I’ve never looked into doing this on any rifle and would be going through a gunsmith, not something I’m going to attempt on my own.
Would this be possible? Or are the overall lengths different to where they wouldn’t fit the magazine the same?

Str8shtr

Lil-Rokslider
No problem. The bolt face just has to be the same, which it is. Could also do a remage prefit and do it yourself.

WKR
Yes, you can rebarrel the 300 wsm into any short action cartridges with a magnum bolt face. Are you going to stick with factory ammo or reload? Reloading opens up more options for cartridges.

OP
S

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
No problem. The bolt face just has to be the same, which it is. Could also do a remage prefit and do it yourself.
Thanks for the input. I might look into this, have to admit I haven’t done a ton of research this was just a thought that popped into my head and wondered if it was possible. I don’t like the idea of selling guns but having a gun that’s a duplicate cartridge when I have a gun I like more is pointless so i want to do something with it..

So you’re saying getting a barrel that comes prechambered correct?

Yes, you can rebarrel the 300 wsm into any short action cartridges with a magnum bolt face. Are you going to stick with factory ammo or reload? Reloading opens up more options for cartridges.
For now it would be factory ammo, I started to look Into getting set up reloading before all the craziness hit and was saving up to start then all the shortages hit and I put that on hold. It is something I would like to get into eventually especially with price of ammo for my 28 Nosler and what I specifically want to shoot in my 300wsm doesn’t shoot well from a factory ammo standpoint.

Str8shtr

Lil-Rokslider
Yes barrel comes prechambered and threaded. The hardest part is probably removing the old barrel. You will need a few tools you can look up videos on installing a prefit barrel with a barrel nut.

If you do a prefit with a barrel nut you will also have to inlet the stock for the nut unless you are installing the barreled action in a chassis or a stock with a large barrel channel. If you already have a decent stock on the rifle (not plastic) have a gunsmith rebarrel it to the caliber of your liking so long as it is a short action mag bolt face cartridge. You could do a 6.8 western or a 6.5prc or any of the short mags.

You will probably need to use a gunsmith anyway you go- pretty hard to get a factory barrel off yourself. I also don’t think you would be comfortable head spacing the new barrel yourself. I have a friend that has done many so he showed me how on the first few we did.

That said it would still be cheaper to order a remage prefit barrel. Do you have a trusted smith you will be using? If so talk to them. I had one factory barrel pulled off by a smith for $25 that we couldn’t get off.

The other option is send your rifle in to be done by the barrel maker. I have had good luck with McGowen Barrels in prefit Remage, and I have also sent a rifle in that they rebarreled for me at a good price. Carbon six is also a good Remage price for carbon barrel.

What are you wanting this rifle for? What other calibers do you already have? I’m going to change my 300 wsm to a 6.5 Sherman Short but that’s a “wildcat”

OP
S

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
You will probably need to use a gunsmith anyway you go- pretty hard to get a factory barrel off yourself. I also don’t think you would be comfortable head spacing the new barrel yourself. I have a friend that has done many so he showed me how on the first few we did.

That said it would still be cheaper to order a remage prefit barrel. Do you have a trusted smith you will be using? If so talk to them. I had one factory barrel pulled off by a smith for $25 that we couldn’t get off.

The other option is send your rifle in to be done by the barrel maker. I have had good luck with McGowen Barrels in prefit Remage, and I have also sent a rifle in that they rebarreled for me at a good price. Carbon six is also a good Remage price for carbon barrel.

What are you wanting this rifle for? What other calibers do you already have? I’m going to change my 300 wsm to a 6.5 Sherman Short but that’s a “wildcat”
I will definitely be Going through a Gunsmith for this I was just looking at options before
I go talk to the gunsmith. I will also look into sending the rifle to McGowen I was actually looking at their barrels when I started thinking of this.

Tbh it wouldn’t have a specific purpose, probably be used as an out of state deer rifle. As for other rifles I have a .243, 6.5creedmor, 270, 28 nosler, 300 wsm (2). So I have a rifle for whatever situation I will ever really “need” this would just be Another to add to the collection.

SDHNTR

WKR
I thought about a 6.5 prc originally but was under impression the short action really limits when if you want to shoot longer heavier bullets
No more so than it would with a .300wsm which is actually a slightly longer case. And that issue is easily solved with a Wyatts Extended Box.

B23

WKR
Using a Baney box kit from Wyatt's Outdoor would be a wise choice and would allow you a COAL of 3.100