300 wsm, what dies??

davsco

WKR
i've loaded a ton of handgun for uspsa etc. and .223 "match" ammo (69g smk) for 2 & 3 gun using just a full length sizing and a seating die.

what dies do i want/need to reload 300 wsm for hunting use (180 - 212 or so grain bullets)? there's "s" type, bushing, neck, body, blah blah blah and i know nothing. i am using a redding t-7 turret press for the .223 so will use for the wsm. this will be shot out of my tikka t3x lite in a mesa precision stock with factory 24" barrel and factory bottom metal and plastic mag though i may switch to a proof carbon prefit.

would be great if someone could spec out some dies (and related like bushings etc) and maybe some pros and cons. thanks!

If you can find em I'd just get forster FL sizing dies and micrometer seating dies.

Once you settle on what brass you are going to use, you can have forster custom hone the neck diameter to avoid over working your brass. You'd be hard pressed to build straighter ammo and it wont cost a fortune.

I have a standard redding FL sizing and micrometer seating die i'd be willing to let go of if you have trouble sourcing one. The only negative with the sizing die is that it overworks the necks a bit like basically all standard non-custom FL sizing dies without bushings. Redding wont custom hone them like forster.

If you get bushing dies the bushing selection is dependent on what brass you use. With norma, .335 would be a good bushing choice if you get bushing dies.

If you are already loading up 223, you know what to do...???????

You want a 300 WSM dies.

Get a redding Full length sizer with bushing that is determined by your case neck after fired. Measure it and get .002 smaller bushing. This sets the neck tension. Only you can determine that bushing size. You need to measure one of your fired brass necks thru that rifle. That "S" is for speedy a great competition shooter who thought up the idea of full length sizing and bumping the shoulder back using a bushing housed in his FL die.

Then the seater die

I prefer redding dies for my stuff.
I do not shoot comps, only precision hunting and Redding are my desire dies

Dos XX

WKR
I am a fan of Whidden bushing dies. You need to know your brass neck thickness in order to choose bushings. They tend to size the base more than some off the shelf dies.

Last edited:
OP
davsco

davsco

WKR
If you are already loading up 223, you know what to do...???????

you'd think! but like i said i'm using 2 dies for that (and no bushings) but it seems 3 dies and bushings are needed or at least used for most calibers. that's (part of) my confusion.

Grease

Lil-Rokslider
I like Redding dies, and generally only size the neck with their bushing die until the bolt gets a little sticky, then use a Redding body die to bump the shoulder back and resize the brass. Seating die either a Redding or Forster micrometer seating die. I use a universal decapping die and also a Sinclair mandrel on some new brass when neck is to tight. Heres a pic of my rig.

Attachments

• IMG_0915.JPG
    IMG_0915.JPG
    265.4 KB · Views: 23
I use 2 dies. A full length sizer with bushing for the neck crimp, then the bullet seating die. But I do use an expander and dry lube to reset the inside neck diameter for neck tension before seating. No 3rd die is needed.

Grease

Lil-Rokslider
i've loaded a ton of handgun for uspsa etc. and .223 "match" ammo (69g smk) for 2 & 3 gun using just a full length sizing and a seating die.

what dies do i want/need to reload 300 wsm for hunting use (180 - 212 or so grain bullets)? there's "s" type, bushing, neck, body, blah blah blah and i know nothing. i am using a redding t-7 turret press for the .223 so will use for the wsm. this will be shot out of my tikka t3x lite in a mesa precision stock with factory 24" barrel and factory bottom metal and plastic mag though i may switch to a proof carbon prefit.

would be great if someone could spec out some dies (and related like bushings etc) and maybe some pros and cons. thanks!
www.accuratearmsandammo.com
Has good prices on dies and very helpful

308ghost

FNG

I am really enjoying these newer RCBS Matchmasters. Very smooth well made and high quality. I’ve used a several sets of Redding dies before these, but all my new dies will be these rcbs matchmasters. Try a set and you’ll love ‘em.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 27
I have been using redding dies, like was mentioned, measure your fired neck to determine bushing size and bump the shoulder back a couple thou and load them up. I have had very good success with them in the wsm.