300 WSM with Unknown Munitions

BjornF16

WKR
How are you measuring to get that 78gr?
Not sure I really understand your question.

I place fired primers in the brass, place each one on my A&D scale, zero, and fill to top of neck with distilled water using dropper (note: I use a couple of drops of alcohol in dropper bottle to reduce meniscus).

B23

WKR
Not sure I really understand your question.

I place fired primers in the brass, place each one on my A&D scale, zero, and fill to top of neck with distilled water using dropper (note: I use a couple of drops of alcohol in dropper bottle to reduce meniscus).
I was curious if you were filling to the top of the neck with water or top of the neck/shoulder junction or something else. Appreciate your response, thank you.

tbrady77

FNG
are these shots using a sled or some other mechanism to rule out the shooter variable?

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
Unknown reloads for 3 of my rifles and I’ve been super impressed with all 3 loads. 7 SAUM, 300 PRC and 6.5 PRC. During this ammo crisis crap, they were still able to load for me with reasonable lead times and their prices were less then a lot of the ammo sellers on GunBroker. I refuse to pay more for factory ammo then custom loads when Jake’s stuff has always shot so well in my rifles.
I’ll most likely start using Unknown for 6xc and 6br when I run out of the factory stuff I have stockpiled.

tdhanses

WKR
are these shots using a sled or some other mechanism to rule out the shooter variable?
The biggest variable will be the shooter and form, if you use this service you’ll vastly reduce any issues from equipment other then your scope and if it’s quality or mounted correctly.

Personally i’ll never use a sled because its so hard on equipment.

tbrady77

FNG
I do a lot of reloading and have worked up loads for a bunch of rifles. I don't use a sled but I do use a similar device except it has some give to it for the recoil. I don't typically use my bipod/sandbag except for practicing. It's easy (at least for me) to screw up just enough to throw off load development (something as simple as not having enough cheek weld for example)

Do they actually have ammo because every caliber I have looked at is out of stock. Also saw on their Instagram stories that it looks like Norma brass maybe coming to an end in the U.S.

tpagel

FNG
This is some great information. Thanks for posting. The tech that goes into the load development is really great to see and the graph with velocities of a given powder very telling. The wave shaped lines are interesting; is it due to barrel harmonics?

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
This is some great information. Thanks for posting. The tech that goes into the load development is really great to see and the graph with velocities of a given powder very telling. The wave shaped lines are interesting; is it due to barrel harmonics?
Jake and his team do a great job collecting all the needed data to build a very accurate load. I'm not sure I understand your question about the lines on the chart? The lines indicate velocity variation.

Velocity does affect accuracy (obviously) and I believe that is due to barrel harmonics and RPM of the bullet causing it to fly more, or less consistently. Not sure if I'm making any sense there or not....

tpagel

FNG
Jake and his team do a great job collecting all the needed data to build a very accurate load. I'm not sure I understand your question about the lines on the chart? The lines indicate velocity variation.

Velocity does affect accuracy (obviously) and I believe that is due to barrel harmonics and RPM of the bullet causing it to fly more, or less consistently. Not sure if I'm making any sense there or not....

Makes perfect sense. This graph if turned 45* shows waves very cool
1228ed1850af89215fad9c5f3b50b4cd.jpg