$3000-6000 for a custom rifle, what would you pick?

Looking for a light-weight custom rifle built. Mainly used for for elk and moose hunting. Any recommendations?

You'll get a million different answers here. Are you asking about smith's or components? Also, what is lightweight to you? I have a lightweight 300 Norma Improved that's 10#. That isn't lightweight to some.

Phil j

Lil-Rokslider
I have the perfect rifle for that PM me if you are interested .

huntnful

WKR
B0915399-0604-4863-91F6-1F8BE38EE615.jpegI just ordered this 300 Norma from Mike at Hells Canyon Armory. I had him build a .28 nosler and was so impressed with the build quality AND PRICE, I ordered the same gun in 300 Norma. Bare rifle weighs 7lbs. I packed it to 5 different states and killed a pile of animals with it this year and can’t think of a better lightweight, long range hunting rifle design. It’s perfect IMO. Here’s my .28 nosler. The new gun will be identical except it have a bronze/carbon stock and bronze Cerakote.27EE6769-CA13-4C75-BC6F-4BBA12C1D775.jpeg

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would decide on features and pick a custom action (Defiance An-TI, Teubor Titanium, Mac Bros Titanium Evo, etc.), an AG composite or McMillan CF stock, a carbon fiber or heavily fluted steel barrel, and a Trigger Tech Special.

Send it to a precision rifle shop or a reputable gunsmith that builds precision hunting rifles.

It is super simple to do these days. I have built hammers without a smith by using action that is compatible with prefit barrels.

$6000 can buy a lot of custom rifle and scope.

Reactions: AKG

Los4212

FNG
Surgeon produces some INCREDIBLE rifles custom built. My father owns a custom scalpel in .300 win (wanna say it's right around $6k built) and ANYONE with a moderate level of skill cant shoot sub 1" MOA groups at 200 yards off just the guns bipod on a bench with hand loads we've produced with 209g A max.

Vandy321

WKR
You can build or buy a reliable, 5.5#, 1/2 MOA rifle for far less than $3-6k...$1500-1800 is doable if you do your research.

Not to persuade you from building a nice custom, ive been down that road multiple times, but if it were my $$, i'd save that kind of coin for an ELR target rifle where it will matter. For a hunting rifle say or say 1000 yards and in at the range, i think you go a bit cheaper and save some of that money and put it towards some new gear or glass.

OP
S
Is $3k - $6k for rifle only or everything?
What is your weight goal?
How far are you planning on shooting?
Is overall length a factor?
Will you be using a suppressor?
Do you already know the cartridge you want?
Any specific features you’re looking for in the stock/trigger/action/etc?
3k-6k for the rifle only. I want to keep my rifle under 7.5 pounds. I personally prefer 300 Norma but I haven't made a decision yet.

OP
S
View attachment 261651I just ordered this 300 Norma from Mike at Hells Canyon Armory. I had him build a .28 nosler and was so impressed with the build quality AND PRICE, I ordered the same gun in 300 Norma. Bare rifle weighs 7lbs. I packed it to 5 different states and killed a pile of animals with it this year and can’t think of a better lightweight, long range hunting rifle design. It’s perfect IMO. Here’s my .28 nosler. The new gun will be identical except it have a bronze/carbon stock and bronze Cerakote.View attachment 261657
Thanks for the information! Definitely will take a hard look on this.

huntnful

WKR
Thanks for the information! Definitely will take a hard look on this.
You’re welcome! I know there can be cheaper guns that shoot good also. I’ve had those as well. But if you have the money to consider a $3k-6k rifle build, you won’t regret getting the build I sent you. The integrated rail being milled into the action is also a must in my opinion. Eliminate needing that aftermarket attached rail unless you absolute need it for ELR. With my gun zeroed, I still have 60 minutes of upward adjustment. Puts me right at a mile of distance without needing a 20 MOA rail. Just something to think about.

V-TRAIN

WKR
I placed a custom order with Alamo Precision biased of their Altitude package, with some tweaks.
I was going to have one built, but honestly that altitude package had pretty much everything I wanted.
I doubt I could have saved anything by buy buying those parts and doing it myself.
They were super helpful.

Rbros
Here is a link to another thread with similar questions to yours and multiple Rbros recommendations.

Totoro

WKR
There's slew of well respected riflesmiths that are more than capable of building what you want.

Options are endless BUT the million dollar question is: Unless you're set up to reload will all the components, will there be ammo available for the round of your choice?

Personally speaking, Travis @ RBRos gets my money.