300PRC or 28 Nosler or...?

codym

WKR
I have a 300 PRC switch barrel with a 26’ proof 1:8 twist. I was running a match/target load at 2950 with the 230 ATIPs and n565 in ADG brass with room to go hotter. My dad is going to use it for an elk hunt so I loaded up a 215 Berger load with h1000 at 3k with absolutely no pressure signs at all. I’m really impressed with the 300 PRC. Total disclosure my free bore is shorter than Sammi spec. The 28 nos is a beast but I agree the barrel degradation. Is extreme especially if you like to shoot regularly. I’m expecting 1200 rounds out of my PRC. Great ELR/ larger game long range round. I do have a 280AI barrel that I swap out for deer hunting. It has a pretty salty load with RL23 and 175 bergers.

khuber84

WKR
The 300 PRC in a lightweight rifle will pack quite a bit of recoil... If I were going lightweight, I would go with the 6.5 ...in the PRC instead of the 6.5x284. The PRC significantly outperforms the 284.
I disagree with your statement. My 6.5x284 pushes 156 bergers @ 2980 w/ RL26 very accurately. The 6.5prc might get another 50fps while burning another 3-4gr of powder to get it. The 7mm is a great round. It strikes a fair balance of horsepower and low recoil. I personally would build a 7mm saum, push 180gr bergers @ 2950, they'll equal or out perform the 6.5 prc/x284 in all categories. Have much less throat erosion and recoil close to the prc. Or don't worry about barrel life and go 28N. The barrel life is less of an issue than chasing the lands with your handloads. 28N will eat between, 7-11 thousandths of your throat every 100 rounds.

gearguywb

WKR
I have not used the 300 PRC but did use the 28 Nosler (with factory Hornady ELDX) this year on an elk hunt in Utah.

432 yards, at a heck of a downhill angle. Decent shot through the lungs. Wound channel was impressive. Bull went 20 yards.

Out of my 26" barrel the factory load is 3230fps.

I figure a new barrel in 5 years or so.

So I have always been a .270 guy. I have tinkered with 300WM and I enjoy my 7MM. I've spent a good amount of time, energy and money into making all three good long distance shooters.
That being said, I decided I wanted a custom built long range, light weigh, hunting rifle built to my specs. I love the energy that the 28 Nosler puts out but one very well known gun builder told me he has stopped building them "due to the terrible throat erosion and barrel life with them. 500-600 round barrel life." and instead recommends the 30-28 nosler, 300 norma and improved, and 300 PRC stating that each has 75% less throat erosion than the 28 nosler and with essentially identical ballistics.
Reloading the 28 is also not inexpensive.
Now I am waffling between the 6.5x284 Norma and the 300 PRC.
Any real world advise from the standpoint of barrel life, recoil management, reloading, wound channel, energy at 300/500/700 yards, actual hunting experience etc. on those would be appreciated.
My buddy and I shot two bull last year with his 300 prc, both at 700 yards.
Its a serious thumper for sure
I built a 30 Sherman mag that weighs just over 7 lbs and the recoil is very manageable with a 5 port brake.
Shot a big white tail with it the other night at 560 yards with a 212 lrx and it totally knocked him off his feet.
The impact sounded like a base ball meeting a Louisville slugger.
If you want to go real light and like to shoot a lot then I'd pick one of the 7mm short mags , thats the direction I'm going

kupper

Lil-Rokslider
I would listen to your smith (ryan pierce?) and have him spin you up a 300nmi. I currently shoot a 28 nosler that will be toast by the end of this year with around 700 pills down the tube. When i go to rebarrel ill be doing a 30 sherman mag because I have a mag bolt face (need lapua sized for norma). While part of the reason for the 30 over the 28 is barrel life im also not overly impressed with the 7mm 195 on game. Ive shot 6 deer with the 195's from about 60 yards all the way out to 996 and ive had mixed results. the berger 215 hybrid has a great track record of being a good game bullet.

I would listen to your smith (ryan pierce?) and have him spin you up a 300nmi. I currently shoot a 28 nosler that will be toast by the end of this year with around 700 pills down the tube. When i go to rebarrel ill be doing a 30 sherman mag because I have a mag bolt face (need lapua sized for norma). While part of the reason for the 30 over the 28 is barrel life im also not overly impressed with the 7mm 195 on game. Ive shot 6 deer with the 195's from about 60 yards all the way out to 996 and ive had mixed results. the berger 215 hybrid has a great track record of being a good game bullet.
I think you'll like the 30 Sherman mag, its a good balance of performance and efficiency.
One thing about the 300 NM is guys on the Hide are reporting 700 round barrel life.
The 300 NM improved would probably burn out just as fast as a 28N

OP
ttmannan

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider
I never did mention any names... ;) But yes, the smiths clearly know what is best and have switched for a reason. I have decided to not go 28 Nosler and am leaning heavily on 300 PRC. The 119/box of ammo vs $59/box of ammo and the ability to buy factory ammo if needed, the longevity of the barrel life... I'm liking the 300PRC. I haven't looked at the 300NMI as much.

Jacack

WKR
I never did mention any names... ;) But yes, the smiths clearly know what is best and have switched for a reason. I have decided to not go 28 Nosler and am leaning heavily on 300 PRC. The 119/box of ammo vs $59/box of ammo and the ability to buy factory ammo if needed, the longevity of the barrel life... I'm liking the 300PRC. I haven't looked at the 300NMI as much.
I have a 28 that shoots lights out, at 576 rounds so far and have talked to Ryan and plan to go to the 30-28 when this one goes south. If I didn't reload the prc would get the nod.

That said the 28 is a great round and if a guy isn't shooting much its very doable to have one as a purely hunting rifle.

I have taken elk, audad, ibex and deer and hogs with mine and always been happy with performance on game, only had one animal run more than I would of liked and it was on my shooting not the bullet.

The 175ablr and 180 bergers have been great.

rootacres

WKR
I wrapped up my custom build prior to this elk hunt I finished a few days ago. If my intended purpose was what yours is I would do a 300 PRC all day long. The ballistics are undeniable for the 28 Nosler however the barrel life is concerning and with that kind of velocity the bullet performance inside 200 yds becomes a coin flip in my opinion. I think going to a slightly heavier, higher BC 30 cal bullet and slowing the velocity down a touch will be a great long range hammer.

OP
ttmannan

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider
I wrapped up my custom build prior to this elk hunt I finished a few days ago. If my intended purpose was what yours is I would do a 300 PRC all day long. The ballistics are undeniable for the 28 Nosler however the barrel life is concerning and with that kind of velocity the bullet performance inside 200 yds becomes a coin flip in my opinion. I think going to a slightly heavier, higher BC 30 cal bullet and slowing the velocity down a touch will be a great long range hammer.
Great point at inside 200 yards. I had not considered the stability or performance of the bullet inside that closer range. Any opportunity to shoot closer is welcome and that should be a consideration.

OP
ttmannan

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 28 that shoots lights out, at 576 rounds so far and have talked to Ryan and plan to go to the 30-28 when this one goes south. If I didn't reload the prc would get the nod.

That said the 28 is a great round and if a guy isn't shooting much its very doable to have one as a purely hunting rifle.

I have taken elk, audad, ibex and deer and hogs with mine and always been happy with performance on game, only had one animal run more than I would of liked and it was on my shooting not the bullet.

The 175ablr and 180 bergers have been great.
The 30-28 wasn't in my sights. Ryan told me "The 30-28 nosler, 300 norma and improved, and 300 PRC have 75% less throat erosion than the 28 nosler and with essentially identical ballistics." and I kind of latched on to the 300 PRC as the option... due to ammo accessibility, reloading or not.

OP
ttmannan

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to everyone. I went 300 PRC. BOTW built (Defiance action, Proof Research barrel, Timney trigger, SilencerCo ASR muzzle brake/QD for suppressor). It arrived this week and will be at the range with the chrono tomorrow and in Mexico in about 10 days hunting Muleys and Coues!

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
I built a 28 this spring and have been more than impressed with it. To date its been used on 3 elk, 2 at 600 and 1 at 850 and 1 muley buck at 400 yards. Both the elk at 600 and the mule deer were DRT and the elk at 850 walked 10 yards and piled up. Wound channels were all impressive and from a recoil standpoint I would rather shoot my 28 (it does have a muzzle brake) over my 6.5 cm (no muzzle brake)
What bullet are you using?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Thanks to everyone. I went 300 PRC. BOTW built (Defiance action, Proof Research barrel, Timney trigger, SilencerCo ASR muzzle brake/QD for suppressor). It arrived this week and will be at the range with the chrono tomorrow and in Mexico in about 10 days hunting Muleys and Coues!
Which ammo/load did you go with?

FFastEddie

Lil-Rokslider
I just started putting my 7mm x 300 prc together. Had the reamer made for 195s. Hopefully, I can push those big boys 3100 fps. Guys on hide are having good results, very similar to the 7 practical.

Wyomuleskinner

Lil-Rokslider
I went with a 300 prc main reason being I think the barrel will last longer. I like breaks so recoil is negligible. My daughter shoots it. Also in my opinion if you want a prc or 28 nosler my all means go for it but I don’t feel like my 300 prc is much different than my 300 win mag

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider
I went with 300 PRC. I've had the 300 win, 7mag, 300 RUM and 7 RUM... I don't have any complaints with my PRC. Shoots great, not the recoil of the RUM and kills great. Dropped a gemsbok/oryx at over 650 with 180 gr accubond.