300win mag vs 300wsm build

OP
S
It does seem crazy, but I just went through this and called about 6 different places and they were all in that ball park. I thought about doing it myself. Just don’t want to mess I up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S
Since there are a few people with the ag stocks on here, how are you liking them? I have a McMillan game hunter, had a manners eh1 and really now am liking the krg bravo. It weighs more than I would like, but fits me like a glove. Any comparison to any of these?

It does seem crazy, but I just went through this and called about 6 different places and they were all in that ball park. I thought about doing it myself. Just don’t want to mess I up

Its very straightforward
Pm me if you're interested and I'll share some info and pics of how to do it.
I've done 10 plus now without screwing anything up.
There are plenty of how to videos out there as well, bedding a CF stock thats cut for your action is by far the stupid easiest thing to get right

Rusty85

WKR
Since there are a few people with the ag stocks on here, how are you liking them? I have a McMillan game hunter, had a manners eh1 and really now am liking the krg bravo. It weighs more than I would like, but fits me like a glove. Any comparison to any of these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapat

I like mine, very comfortable stock. Will definitely look into another one on the next build. Lead times are better than Manners and McMillan, and their quality is up there with the other alpha stock makers.
Also $300 to 500 is crazy to bed a stock. Mike at HCA did my last two builds for $175 I think and I’ve done a few with Devcon 10110 epoxy with no issues. Just use a good release.

Last edited:
I’ll add this.
I have custom .300WSM. Stiller action, Wyatt box, Krieger bbl, HS stock.
Shoots 200 grain Federal Terminal Ascent 1/2 moa.
But, it feeds like shit. The fat case just pops and flops out of the box. I have to double clutch to feed.
Tried this set up in 2 different brand stocks. Tried different mag spring pressures.
Tried slightly different bedding heights.
Anyway, I believe the Win Mag may inherently just feed better but shoulder off the belt.
Just my experience.

it feeds like shit. The fat case just pops and flops out of the box. I have to double clutch to feed.
Tried this set up in 2 different brand stocks. Tried different mag spring pressures.
Tried slightly different bedding heights.
Have you tried adjusting the feed lips on the Wyatt’s box? I’ve had several saums and wsm’s with Wyatt’s box and all needed a little tweaking then fed like poop through a goose.

Where in the cycling process is it coming out?

If it pops out randomly sitting there with a full mag tweak both lips in a bit so they can’t jump. If it does it while cycling It may just need a little tweak tighter on the front sides to hold the case longer into the feed ramp before it pops out.

Sounds like a tweak to the lips may fix it

HCA builds a great rifle and they shoot but I could not throw $2500 into a tikka action. You can build with an custom xm length action that will allow 3.2” coal for the $3200 (2500 + action cost).

my 300 wsm with TI action weighs 9.3 lbs loaded with an Atacr 4-16 on it so a stainless xm action and lighter scope is easy to get under 10 lbs

Attachments

• 331CC99C-234F-4CFB-8615-12A2358F8203.jpeg
    331CC99C-234F-4CFB-8615-12A2358F8203.jpeg
    389.3 KB · Views: 91
OP
S
HCA builds a great rifle and they shoot but I could not throw $2500 into a tikka action. You can build with an custom xm length action that will allow 3.2” coal for the $3200 (2500 + action cost).

my 300 wsm with TI action weighs 9.3 lbs loaded with an Atacr 4-16 on it so a stainless xm action and lighter scope is easy to get under 10 lbs

That’s a nice rifle, is that a Mesa precision stock? That is another thing that I have in my head is I would rather have a custom action as I have a few already. But then the tikka is a really good, smooth action and I honestly don’t mind it. So many decisions.

Yes it’s a Mesa stock. Lots of good reasonably priced actions on the market today and with the advent of quality prefits a guy can do it at home with a torque wrench.

Last edited:

Lou400a

Lil-Rokslider
Brux #5, weighs 10.25# with a Swaro X5i which is right at 2# by itself. So a little over 8# bare rifle.
Nice setup. I'm in a process of swapping barrel on my 270 wsm Tikka to 1/8 twist light palma to use 165gr and heavier bullets and thinking on having it fluted (looks mostly) and to shave few oz

Totoro

WKR
Not to side track the OP, but nice looking sticks there fellas.

To the OP, if you don't reload (or at least yet), I would vote the 300Winnie.

I toiled with the idea of a 300WSM for a lighter weight backcountry rig around 9.5lbs all up and came to the conclusion the extra 1/2lb or so I would loose wasn't a worthy return in investment.

That's not to say, light weight isn't worthy investment, just not in my case.

OP
S
Not to side track the OP, but nice looking sticks there fellas.

To the OP, if you don't reload (or at least yet), I would vote the 300Winnie.

I toiled with the idea of a 300WSM for a lighter weight backcountry rig around 9.5lbs all up and came to the conclusion the extra 1/2lb or so I would loose wasn't a worthy return in investment.

That's not to say, light weight isn't worthy investment, just not in my case.

I actually am pretty sure that I am going to 300 win. Reloading as actually going very well but I have ammo and some brass for the win mag already so it makes more sense. On a side not, has anyone built a 300 win with a big horn origin? I have a few of these actions already( in s/a) and really like them. Just wasn’t sure since they are cut for aics if you can get the length to run the heavies in those mags.

Rusty85

WKR
The TL3 and the Origin will work due to the AICS CIP 3.850” length mag well. The SR3 would work ok but you’d be leaving a little on the table with 215+ weight class bullets even with Wyatt cut mag well 3.7” I think.

On a side not, has anyone built a 300 win with a big horn origin? I have a few of these actions already( in s/a) and really like them. Just wasn’t sure since they are cut for aics if you can get the length to run the heavies in those mags.
Run CIP length mags and the Origin will cycle pretty much any VLD bullet one would shoot in 300 WM loads.

OP
S
I have decided to build it myself with the origin, proof barrel (thinking 1/10 24”)?