300WM Barnes TTSX 150g or 180g?

A-Brakke

FNG
Been shooting Barnes 180g for a while and love them. That said, recently started reloading and have been playing with the idea of switching to the 150g for a Mule Deer/Elk cartridge instead of having two separate loads. Have heard they perform better at higher velocities so thinkin about give this a shot. Thoughts?

I’ve been using the 150gr TTSX out of a 30-06 as my deer/elk load on the “west side” of WA where shots aren’t much more than 300 yards. It retains more weight than the 180gr Partitions I had been using.

On the “east side” of WA where it’s very wide open, I’m using the 168gr TTSX in a 300 Weatherby. The 168gr is supposed to be softer than the 150gr or 165gr and will expand at lower velocity (so they say).

Last edited:

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using the 175 & 180gr TTSX in my 300WM for everything. I am thinking about stepping it down to the 165-168gr TTSX for a little more speed.

I am pushing the TTSX 180’s a tad over 3k fps. They group well and bull elk do not like them very much. In my eyes heavier is better.
With mono-metal bullets, there is a point where a heavier (longer) bullet starts to bleed energy quickly because of it’s greater bearing surface. Expansion at lower velocity becomes less reliable. I’d rather maintain velocity through my intended hunting range than rely on weight.

With jacketed lead-core bullets, it’s the opposite. I prefer heavy for caliber bullets that carry energy (shorter bullet, dense core).

OP
A-Brakke

A-Brakke

FNG
It’s important to know I also will not take shots over 400yds. Can I….sure pretty efficient to 600yds. But typically I hunt thick nasty timber. I’ve never had an instance where I couldn’t close the distance, even on Mulies. Average shorts are 50-150yds.

I’m starting to think based on reply’s going down to a 150g will only help with expansion….and I don’t shoot far enough to need to weight.

It’s important to know I also will not take shots over 400yds. Can I….sure pretty efficient to 600yds. But typically I hunt thick nasty timber. I’ve never had an instance where I couldn’t close the distance, even on Mulies. Average shorts are 50-150yds.

I’m starting to think based on reply’s going down to a 150g will only help with expansion….and I don’t shoot far enough to need to weight.
I think you’ll be happy with the 150gr. I’m getting 2975fps from a 30-06. It’s accurate and has put a hurt on everything I’ve shot with it.

The first article I ever read about the TTSX involved cull hunting in Africa with 130gr TTSX from a 300 Win Mag. They were dropping all sorts of plains game with it. That sparked my interest in them.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
I like the "there is no replacement for dispacement" theory. I shoot the 180's out of my 300WM for everything. It shoots them 1/2". I tinkered with the 165's and it hated them. To me, a 300WM needs a heavier bullet. I have never had good results with a lighter bullet out of a 300.

I like the "there is no replacement for dispacement" theory. I shoot the 180's out of my 300WM for everything. It shoots them 1/2". I tinkered with the 165's and it hated them. To me, a 300WM needs a heavier bullet. I have never had good results with a lighter bullet out of a 300.
Heavier, or longer? A 168gr TTSX is longer than a 180gr Partition. One thing you’ll find with all-metal bullets is they will require twist rates faster than their weight would indicate because of their length.

Displacement theory means less if there are exit wounds. I’ve actually never had an animal catch a TTSX. The benefit of displacement would only be through expansion and/or larger starting diameter.

Smtn10pt

FNG
Once I use up my current stock of 180 gr TTSX I will be going to accubonds. Ive recovered several and they have shed their petals at the entrance and penciled through with a bore size hunk of copper. I dont think thats ideal even though I have never lost an animal I've hit with one.

Attachments

• IMG_E1561.JPG
    IMG_E1561.JPG
    167.8 KB · Views: 61
Once I use up my current stock of 180 gr TTSX I will be going to accubonds. Ive recovered several and they have shed their petals at the entrance and penciled through with a bore size hunk of copper. I dont think thats ideal even though I have never lost an animal I've hit with one.
Dang! Any idea what the starting velocity is?

I’ve killed a few elk with 150s doing 3350’ from my 300 win, the last bull I killed was with a 180. Honestly no observable difference other than drop. I used a 150 on a 480 yard shot on a cow elk, she dropped All animals die instantly or within sight. I used imr4350 for the 150 seated deep. Only reason I switched was because the Barnes factory 180 ttsx shoots 3/4 moa to 600 and I didn’t have the time to reload last year. I’d love to try the factory 190 lrx just not going to pay $100/box righ now. Best wishes

Smtn10pt

FNG
Meat Missile, I have it written down somewhere because I had a custom dial made for my scope. Here are two more from an elk, Ive never recovered one that looked anything like the bullets in the ads.

Attachments

• barnes2.jpg
    barnes2.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 66
OP
A-Brakke

A-Brakke

FNG
Meat Missile, I have it written down somewhere because I had a custom dial made for my scope. Here are two more from an elk, Ive never recovered one that looked anything like the bullets in the ads.
Hi Smtn,

Thanks for sharing. So whenever I’m seen a bullet banana like that it’s typically an issue of velocity. How far were those shots, and what’s your starting velocity. Just curious

eshunt

Lil-Rokslider
If you are considering stepping down from the 180 gr, you should consider the 165 gr ttsx. I have been shooting then exclusively out of my 300WM for almost 10 years. Killed a bunch of elk and a few deer from 75yds out to 550yds. I have had great success with them. I would hesitate to drop all the way down to the 150gr. I shoot those out of my 308, but wouldn't want to use them in the 300WM.

Berzurker

FNG
Meh, I’d say go heavier instead of lighter lol. 212 Eld or 215 Berger. If hunting deer, wait for broadside and hit lungs and not shoulder.

Smtn10pt

FNG
Hi Smtn,

Thanks for sharing. So whenever I’m seen a bullet banana like that it’s typically an issue of velocity. How far were those shots, and what’s your starting velocity. Just curious
Looked around a little last night but couldnt find any notes on chrono results. I know im using 87 gr of RE-22 powder, i want to say it was around 3200 fps at the muzzle, but not 100% on that. Shots were all under 200 yards.

BBarnett13

Lil-Rokslider
I had similar results with the "penciling" of 180gr. TTSX out of a 300WM. Although it was unfortunate and unintentional, this bullet damn near passed through 2 elk. The cow dropped where she stood as it went through her neck and the bull was approximately 40yds away. Shot was around 150yds and the bullet was under the hide on the far side of the bull.

For those concerned, the accidental kill was reported to IDFG and meat surrendered.

IMAG5432.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG5432.jpg
    IMAG5432.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 18