300WM Load Dev 181g Hammer Hunter: Buy Lapua or wait for ADG?

philcox

WKR
I am moving from the 175g LRX (just could not get it dialed) to the 181g HH. In talking with Steve @ Hammer, he said ADG/Gunwerks/Peterson for brass. I can find any of that, but can find Lapua. I shoot Lapua in my 6.5CM and am very happy with it. 6.5CM is a diff beast than 300WM, so wonder if I should just bide my time and get the ADG? Any one with practical experience on the 181HH (I'll be using RL23, CCI 250), as to Lapua vs ADG. I'd be interested. RIght now using Nosler for the 175 LRX workup.

I can get my hands on 100 Lapua 300WM for $170.

Thanks in advance ...

amassi

WKR
Lapua brass will work just as well as the others, it may have more capacity than adg so if hammer gave you data for adg your pressure may occur at a higher charge

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Bater

WKR
It's every bit as good as ADG/Gunwerks and better that Peterson in by experience.

SDHNTR

WKR
Agreed on Lapua. Excellent brass. As good as anything. I used to shoot 181HH out of my 300wsm. I now shoot the 180. What's your barrel twist?

OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
Lapua brass will work just as well as the others, it may have more capacity than adg so if hammer gave you data for adg your pressure may occur at a higher charge

Yes, Steve said that I'd get better velocity out of ADG/GW/Peterson as compared to my Nosler Brass (said it was softer). I was curious as to if Lapua would give similar velocities as the ADG. Might be the "bird in the hand" at this point.

Bater

WKR
Lapua is "hard" like ADG but as listed above you may need a bit more powder to equal the ADG listed velocities as Lapua generally has more capacity.

amassi

WKR
Yes, Steve said that I'd get better velocity out of ADG/GW/Peterson as compared to my Nosler Brass (said it was softer). I was curious as to if Lapua would give similar velocities as the ADG. Might be the "bird in the hand" at this point.
Adg brass might be thicker and take more full house firings before the primer pockets degrade but there should be no issue getting the same or better velocity with lapua, norma, nosler et el.
Adg will often pressure out quicker than other brands due to the brass being thicker.
The "soft" brass issue is a mountain out of a mole hill.

JakeSCH

WKR
A solid hunting combo! I run 72 grains of RL23 with ADG brass and F215 primers. However, I would not hesitate running lapua brass. I know guys running the 180 hammer over Remington brass with H4350 and getting great results.

Since you already have a 6.5 CM, I would be very tempted to run H4350 especially with the shorter barrel. H4350 and Hammers are good friends.

OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
A solid hunting combo! I run 72 grains of RL23 with ADG brass and F215 primers. However, I would not hesitate running lapua brass. I know guys running the 180 hammer over Remington brass with H4350 and getting great results.

Since you already have a 6.5 CM, I would be very tempted to run H4350 especially with the shorter barrel. H4350 and Hammers are good friends.
Thx. I am running Varget with the 124HH in my 6.5CM. Was basing the RL23 off Steve's recommendation. I have some H4350, and may try if the RL23 not getting results I want (.5 moa), as that is what the CarbonSix is supposed to be good to.

BAKPAKR

WKR
What kind of magazine set up are you using with your Tikka action? The 181 gr Hammer Hunter has a really long nose - about .92”. If you are trying to fit OEM magazines, I think part of the nose will be below the case mouth.

OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
Well, based on Lapua reputation, and some comments in there. I pulled the trigger. I figure it may be months before ADG becomes available. Not to get it fired, and get a load developed.

OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
What kind of magazine set up are you using with your Tikka action? The 181 gr Hammer Hunter has a really long nose - about .92”. If you are trying to fit OEM magazines, I think part of the nose will be below the case mouth.
I am going to single feed it, and use a short action precision round holder.

SDHNTR

WKR
I am going to single feed it, and use a short action precision round holder.
You have the twist but you need a Wyatt’s box to feed those 181’s.

Imo, either do it right with an extended box or shoot the 180’s or 174’s, whichever will mag feed. Single feed for a hunting rifle just to shoot one particular bullet when there are other good choices is insane.

I am moving from the 175g LRX (just could not get it dialed) to the 181g HH. In talking with Steve @ Hammer, he said ADG/Gunwerks/Peterson for brass. I can find any of that, but can find Lapua. I shoot Lapua in my 6.5CM and am very happy with it. 6.5CM is a diff beast than 300WM, so wonder if I should just bide my time and get the ADG? Any one with practical experience on the 181HH (I'll be using RL23, CCI 250), as to Lapua vs ADG. I'd be interested. RIght now using Nosler for the 175 LRX workup.

I can get my hands on 100 Lapua 300WM for $170.

Thanks in advance ...
I just got 300 WM ADG brass from Creedmoor sports last week. I see they are out already. May want to just keep your eye on them if you really want it.

chris

amassi

WKR
You have the twist but you need a Wyatt’s box to feed those 181’s.

Imo, either do it right with an extended box or shoot the 180’s or 174’s, whichever will mag feed. Single feed for a hunting rifle just to shoot one particular bullet when there are other good choices is insane.
Especially when that choice is a mono with flintstones bc. (.453 G1)