300wsm & 168gr Bullets

Anyone loading the 168gr Berger Classic hunter or VLD's or Barnes TTST's in a 300wsm? If so, what powders are you using? What charges are you having good luck with? I have looked at both the Berger and Barnes books and I have several of the recommended powders just looking for a place to start. Thanks

You’re not getting any responses because you already have the information you need.

I’m in the same boat as you - I’m awaiting a 300wsm and I’m gonna be loading either the 200eldx or the 168ttsx for it. For the ttsx I’ll likely try Big Game(had some sitting on my shelf for some time now) and I’ll work off their starting loads and push to pressure signs then look for a velocity node and hopefully the accuracy will come with it. Same thing I’ll do for the 200eldx.

OP
S
I live 1.5-2hrs from the nearest range so I usually only make it out there about twice month. With that being said I was hoping a few people would come along and drop some recipes they’re having success with. The Berger book shows 19 different powders while the Barnes book shows 11. I’ve got 9 of the 19 powders listed in the Berger book so thats a pretty broad starting point. I’ll probably start with RL-17 or IMR-7828SSC for the Bergers and RL-17 or Big Game for the Barnes. May even try RL-16 as well. Just hate wasting so many projectiles.

TauPhi111

WKR
As Jeff said, you already have the info you need so why are you asking? I load a lot of Barnes and I find their data to be pretty spot on. Go with what they have in their data if you already have recommended powders.

I live 1.5-2hrs from the nearest range so I usually only make it out there about twice month. With that being said I was hoping a few people would come along and drop some recipes they’re having success with. The Berger book shows 19 different powders while the Barnes book shows 11. I’ve got 9 of the 19 powders listed in the Berger book so thats a pretty broad starting point. I’ll probably start with RL-17 or IMR-7828SSC for the Bergers and RL-17 or Big Game for the Barnes. May even try RL-16 as well. Just hate wasting so many projectiles.

You should also know that one load that shoots well in one gun can blow up another gun... or not shoot worth a damn and be a waste of bullets.

Not trying to give you a hard time or anything - it’s just that my experience with this stuff is typically a full load work up. It’s the safest, most effective way to figure out a load for your rifle. It takes a couple range trips.

rootacres

WKR
Anyone loading the 168gr Berger Classic hunter or VLD's or Barnes TTST's in a 300wsm? If so, what powders are you using? What charges are you having good luck with? I have looked at both the Berger and Barnes books and I have several of the recommended powders just looking for a place to start. Thanks

I shot 168 TTSX, 175 VLDs and 180gr accubonds in my 300 wsm. All were loaded at or around 2.835 OAL. My gun took a preference to the accubonds (2.835 with 63gr of Hybrid 100V). But it did shoot the TTSX and Bergers very well. I used H4831 SC and RL-17 too. I took a muley in WY with the RL-17. I don't remember the exact seating depth for the others unfortunately.

I should add, so you don't find yourself wanting to change again later. RL-17 is a more temp sensitive powder, that's why I switched away. Hybrid 100V is not completely temp insensitive but is better than RL-17. And H4831SC is bomb proof in terms of temp stability. I am building a 7mm WSM now. I am going to try RL-26 on that build if not H4831SC.

OP
S
Thanks guys. I loaded some TTSX’s with RL-17 and some E-Tip’s with IMR-4831. Held off of the Berger’s for now. Hope to make it to the range next weekend

308ghost

FNG
Try some H4350, RL 16, for the 168’s and H4832sc for the heavy. Maybe some RL 23! I bet that would do well for both.

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
I found a good load with the Berger 168 grain classic hunter. I used IMR 4831. It didn't take me very long at all to find a good load with that combo in my rifle.

OP
S
I found a good load with the Berger 168 grain classic hunter. I used IMR 4831. It didn't take me very long at all to find a good load with that combo in my rifle.
Same here. Ended up using 64gr with 168gr Classic hunter. 1 hole 5 shot groups out of my Sako A7S

Str8shtr

Lil-Rokslider
180 or less h4350 is great. I haven't tried the h100v but it's been easier to come by lately and the burn rate is right. H4831SC for the heavier bullets. Re17 will give you great velocity but really temp sensitive.