300wsm Hornady Precision Hunter

Anybody shooting this stuff? I keep hearing that its crazy accurate factory ammo but 200gr for 300wsm seems a little heavy. Advertised at 2820fps. Ive been busy reloading for a couple other rifles that I shoot frequently and would prefer to buy ammo off the shelf to go elk hunting once a year.
Thoughts?

It shoots very well out of my xbolt. I think it averaged around 2840 FPS (23” barrel).

200 gr isn’t heavy for a wsm, especially if you are not limited by a short action magazine. There are examples of 212/215 class bullets at over 2900 in the reloading forum right now.

fatbacks

WKR
My go to off the shelf ammo for 300 WSM is the Nosler Trophy Grade 180 gr Accubond. Shoots well out of both my 300 WSMs. Shoots so well out of my Fierce that I am considering halting load development for that rifle and just buying off the shelf full time.

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
When I chrono'd it out of my Winchester Extreme Weather 300 wsm 5 rounds averaged 2800 fps. I've had tremendous accuracy out of my particular setup with this factory cartridge. Won't be changing anytime soon.

Forest

WKR
Far and above the best factory ammo I have shot out of my main rifle, in fact shot so good out of my 300wm I wont even bother reloading for that gun. Had great performance on a bull at 480 yards this fall. I would certainly recommend at least buying a box and giving it a try and see how it shoots.

OP
lyle_destroys
any conclusion from the op? I read some neg reviews re effectiveness on large game
thanks
Yup, so I ended up shooting quite a bit of it out of my rifle this year. Consistent and help sub moa groups out to 500 yards which is the max I was shooting.
I did shoot a good sized colorado bull elk with 2 rounds and decided I will be going to a bonded or copper solid for the rest of my elk hunting. Both shots were at 185 yards, broadside. 1st shot broke the shoulder facing me and pulverized the front part of the lungs. The second shot hit almost 2" behind the first, turned the lungs to pulp but then hit the offside shoulder. Both bullets fragmented and neither exited. The bull only went about 10 yards and dropped dead. They did a very good job at killing and when I shot you could tell the bull was hit hard, he stumbled and had trouble going any further.
I think they did a great job at a quick clean kill but I prefer a bullet that will leave a good exit wound and blood trail. I'll be using them the rest of the year for deer and bears but that's it. Hope this helps.

danarnold

WKR
My go to off the shelf ammo for 300 WSM is the Nosler Trophy Grade 180 gr Accubond. Shoots well out of both my 300 WSMs. Shoots so well out of my Fierce that I am considering halting load development for that rifle and just buying off the shelf full time.

this is what I use in my 7mm-8, very happy with it so I picked up a couple boxes for the short mag

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I handload the 178s in my wsm. Very accurate, gettin close to 3,100 fps. Been good critter getters so far.

doc88

FNG
Buddy of mine shoots it out of a WSM. Very accurate out to 600 yds (which is as far as he's shot). The ELDX is a great hunting bullet.

danarnold

WKR
I'm thinking about giving this stuff a try, if it shoots that well I may not worry about working up a accubond load
slapped a new scope on my tikka and shot yesterday, I used some federal 180 trophy copper to get dialed in then switched to the noslers which were 1" lower @100 yards and the group tightened in half, both surprised me
I'll be using the nosler based on the lethal performance but the accuracy is a plus

drmikeyj

FNG
I’ve liked this load so much, I replicate it and reload using the die custom for my chamber. It is a perfect combination of bullet weight and velocity with amazing accuracy.

I have a Tikka t3x and a kimber 8400? in 300 wsm. Neither shoots the 200 gr eldx very well. 2" for the tikka and 3-5" for the kimber (which ain't too shabby considering it's a kimber). Nosler trophy grade 180accubond are tits out of both rifles, 180gr Hornady outfitter gmx 1" avg tikka, HSM 185 Berger vld are the most accurate I've found for the tikka and cloverleaf box after box.

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
Far and above the best factory ammo I have shot out of my main rifle, in fact shot so good out of my 300wm I wont even bother reloading for that gun. Had great performance on a bull at 480 yards this fall. I would certainly recommend at least buying a box and giving it a try and see how it shoots.

I had this same experience. I chased Nosler loads in my Tikka 300WM all over the place, got frustrated right before elk season and threw a Hail Mary with Hornandy. They shot better than I expected and I'm currently using them exclusively in that rifle. I just bought a box for my 300 SAUM to try out. We'll see how that goes

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve liked this load so much, I replicate it and reload using the die custom for my chamber. It is a perfect combination of bullet weight and velocity with amazing accuracy.
Which powder are using using to replicate the factory load?

Which powder are using using to replicate the factory load?

I had a load worked up with 200 ELDx before trying the factory stuff. Factory ended up about 20 FPS faster than I was loading with 4831sc and I am using a pretty healthy charge of powder.

VIII

FNG
This is an old thread but...

I’m a new forum member and typically shy away from social media and message boards as I’d rather live my own life rather than watch or read about other people living theirs. But I felt compelled to not only create an account but add to this post.

I was gifted a Tikka T3 Lite chambered in .300 WSM 10 years ago by my father. It was by no means the .308 Remington I was eye boning, but it’s the gun I ended up with. Being that my father was so proud of his purchase and excited for me to have the rifle, I’ve been hellbent on getting it to group. I’ve heard countless stories of the Tikka being a tack driver and appreciating any ammo you smash down the barrel and the action really is the best you can find for the money. This gun appeared to be the exception. On my very best day, with the most accurate ammo I could find, I could only punch out a 1.1” group (Hornady Outfitter 180 gr.). Which for a hunting rifle is acceptable, but I hold myself to a higher standard and prefer to give myself more room for pre-shot jitters and excitement.

Some background - I’m a former military firearms instructor. I’m by no means an award winning marksman, but I’m familiar with the fundamentals of marksmanship and am normally able to hit my intended target. Also, I haven’t started reloading yet so I was bound to factory ammo. For the rifle - the action and barrel are bone stock. I put them in a Mesa Altitude carbon fiber stock, have Talley lightweight rings and a Leupold VX II 6-18x scope on top. All up, this rifle hovers around the 7 lb mark. If memory serves me, this stock is the same weight or an oz difference from the OEM stock. My point, it’s light.

After reading this post I figured what the hell, I might as well try Hornady ELDX. What was previously not even an MOA rifle, is now a sub .5 MOA rifle. Due to the light barrel profile, I only shoot 3-shot groups with this rifle. And I’ll be damned if all three rounds weren’t touching. I’m going to attempt to post a photo of the group, but as I mentioned, I’m new ‘round these parts and technologically retarded.

My rounds clocked in at an average of 2,661 fps, measured with a Magnettospeed. Fired off bipods and a bag leaning against a round bale. As far as terminal performance goes, I just dropped a 6 point on Monday that didn’t even kick when he hit the ground. Double lunged and the bullet had complete pass through.

If your .300 WSM is a bit light in the ass and not grouping worth a damn, do yourself a favor and spend the money on this ammo.F1ECA8AF-865B-4B02-9586-28FD7201DA29.jpeg