300WSM rebarrel opinions wanted...

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
I have a custom 300WSM built off of a M70 action. It will likely be. 3 contour SS barrel with a side port break to keep the build a little more budget minded. The 3 calibers I’m probably considering are 300PRC, 270WSM, and 6.5PRC. I’m leaning 6.5 bc I don’t own a rifle in a 6.5 right now but I’m open to ideas. Thoughts??

tdhanses

WKR
I’d keep it 300wsm personally. My custom 270wsm is currently being rebarreled to a 300wsm.

If you want a 6.5 go find a cheap 6.5cm as they are fun to shoot and cheap to shoot, personally I don’t think the 6.5prc gets you much more over the 6.5cm and if shooting at distance when hunting I’d rather use the 300wsm.

Also since it’s a 300wsm was it not built off a short action? If it’s a short action 300prc is off the table and possibly 6.5prc as well.

OP
Ltsheets

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
Why do you say both 6.5 and 300PRC are not options bc it’s built on a short action. This rifle was a factory 300WSM before I had a custom built off the action.
6.5CM isn’t an option it’s a mag bolt face.

I’d keep it 300wsm personally. My custom 270wsm is currently being rebarreled to a 300wsm.

If you want a 6.5 go find a cheap 6.5cm as they are fun to shoot and cheap to shoot, personally I don’t think the 6.5prc gets you much more over the 6.5cm and if shooting at distance when hunting I’d rather use the 300wsm.

Also since it’s a 300wsm was it not built off a short action? If it’s a short action 300prc is off the table and possibly 6.5prc as well.

OP
Ltsheets

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
Ah I see the 300PRC isn’t a short action cartridge. I assumed it was and was wrong so that one is def off the table.

tdhanses

WKR
Why do you say both 6.5 and 300PRC are not options bc it’s built on a short action. This rifle was a factory 300WSM before I had a custom built off the action.
6.5CM isn’t an option it’s a mag bolt face.

6.5 prc is off a medium action an 300prc is off a long. If it was factory you have a short action. From what I understand the 6.5prc could be built off a short action but it’s not optimal.

If you go 6.5prc on the short action, you have to run the extended mag box to even get factory ammo to load, so you’ll be stuck either only using factory ammo or reloading to factory spec, you won’t be able to fully do load development. Now this may not matter but it’s something to consider, you will be limited.

You can get a non mag bolt pretty cheap for that action but no I wouldn’t change it to 6.5cm, what I was saying is leave it as is as a 300wsm and put the funds to change it into a new rifle such as a 6.5cm, or maybe a 6.5prc.

Last edited:

wildcat33

WKR
6.5 PRC should be fine on a M70 wsm action, which is closer to XM action length from what I understand:

I'd cast my vote to leave it as 300wsm. If you must scratch an itch, for me it would be 7saum or 7wsm.

OP
Ltsheets

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
This rifle has a mag length of 3”. It should be fine with a 6.5prc I’d think. The reason I’m prob moving away from 300wsm is I just got a full custom 7RM and have a 280ai as well. Both of those can do anything a 300wsm can and I miss having a smaller long range cartridge.

6.5 prc is off a medium action an 300prc is off a long. If it was factory you have a short action. From what I understand the 6.5prc could be built off a short action but it’s not optimal.

If you go 6.5prc on the short action, you have to run the extended mag box to even get factory ammo to load, so you’ll be stuck either only using factory ammo or reloading to factory spec, you won’t be able to fully do load development. Now this may not matter but it’s something to consider, you will be limited.

You can get a non mag bolt pretty cheap for that action but no I wouldn’t change it to 6.5cm, what I was saying is leave it as is as a 300wsm and put the funds to change it into a new rifle such as a 6.5cm, or maybe a 6.5prc.

MasonfromWi

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt with both a 300 WSM and a 6.5 PRC. For hunting purposes the WSM wins hands down for knock down power on deer sized game and up, for longer range shooting and smaller game the PRC is a dream to shoot. Totally depends on what your intentions with the rifle are.