308 130gr TTSX Loads?

Motown

WKR
Got some 130gr TTSX bullets on the way and wondering if anybody has some good loads for this bullet with Varget? Gonna try this out of my Tikka SL and imagine it will be a hammer on deer.

D_Dubya

Lil-Rokslider
Great bullet out a 308, I can’t help with Varget but I’ve had excellent results with BL-C(2) out of my son’s Tikka.

Barnes has load data on their website. Just saw that exact combo on there. Good velocity too.

brad407210

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot the 130's and my normal process with Barnes is to load them 0.100" off the lands and do 3 shot groups working up the charge weight in 1/2 gr increments to check for pressure. Then I back down 1 grain from where I find pressure or the book max and do a seating depth test at .050", .075", .100" and .150". Usually that rules out some of the combos so you can go back and expand your testing in a couple spots and pick a load. If that doesn't work switch to H335 and retry it, normally you can find a load with a box of 50.

Got some 130gr TTSX bullets on the way and wondering if anybody has some good loads for this bullet with Varget? Gonna try this out of my Tikka SL and imagine it will be a hammer on deer.
I worked up to 50 grains of IMR 4166 under that bullet out of my .308. IMR 4166 is nearly identical to Varget. I've found the load information to be very accurate on the Hodgdon's website. My Velocity was over 3k and accuracy was good.

sdupontjr

WKR
I thought of trying these as well for my Tikka T3 308. What was your COAL with it and was it compressed load at .120 off lands?

OP
Motown

Motown

WKR
I’ll have to check my notes at home later for the COAL and it was indeed .120 off the lands. At 47.0 grains it was not compressed either and I think you might be able to get around 49 grains in the case before that happens. I also didn’t have my chrono with me but will take it along next time and report back the velocity.

Last edited:
Great bullet out a 308, I can’t help with Varget but I’ve had excellent results with BL-C(2) out of my son’s Tikka.
Hopefully you see this. I load up some 130gr ttsx using BL-C(2) in my 308. Wondering load you found worked well. Seems like most weight are compressed and the 56.4grs feels the case.

D_Dubya

Lil-Rokslider
The max book load also filled my cases to the top, I will have to double check but I’m almost positive the load we have worked up is 52 grains and it is compressed.

You guys be careful with that Barnes load data! They used Winchester cases which I’ve read have much higher capacity than other brands’ cases in .308. Do some searching on the interweb—I don’t remember the exact details but apparently at the request of some match organizers Winchester churned out a thin walled case and has kept producing them since. I know I couldn’t fit Barnes’ sub-max loads in Lapua cases.

You guys be careful with that Barnes load data! They used Winchester cases which I’ve read have much higher capacity than other brands’ cases in .308. Do some searching on the interweb—I don’t remember the exact details but apparently at the request of some match organizers Winchester churned out a thin walled case and has kept producing them since. I know I couldn’t fit Barnes’ sub-max loads in Lapua cases.
I’m using Winchester cases and 56.4gr is max load for BL-C(2) which filled the case to the top. Actually shot great and the best group of the 6 loads I tried. No sign of pressure which surprised me. I plan on retesting the the top loads and see if I can get a lesser load to group as good. I do like the speed though since I’m shooting a barnes bullet.

I kept having to vibrate BL-C (2) down so I could seat them bullet and I wasn’t at max. It shot really well though. .389” at 100 yards with the TTSX 130 gr.