308 150 grain TTSX Barnes performance this year so far.

Pabst

Lil-Rokslider
Two weeks ago, 150gr. Barnes TTSX factory load out of a .308 w/18” barrel, 1-230 yard broadside shot. Recovered the bullet under the skin on the opposite side of entry. 99%+ bullet wt. retention.
4e5f826422fc508a647b5406b208b114.jpg

4160dfe5e5cf888b6e417a88e3c350be.jpg

aa35a8b1635fd91d916260bd2cffa84d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Incredible photo of the goat

Slugz

WKR
When elk hunting I'm taking head or broadside shots or slight quartering chest only. I think way too many variables once you take shots out of those three types. I'm not trying to "bust bone" " anchor" or get multiple shots in animals.

.308/150gr Barnes monolithic bullet is performing exactly to spec in my opinion. Max weight retention / max energy transfer. As someone already mentioned a more "frangible" bullet may be better suited to cause just a little more damage on a good shot.

For elk I like the bullets that have 60-70% weight retention as I think it a good balance between energy and fragmentation post impact. Nosler Accubond, Hornady ELD-X to name a few. These type of bullets have a wider range of "operating velocity"

My moose this year was shot with a 280AI 175gr Accubond LR at 210 yards. Slight quartering away it entered 4th rib back, direct impact on the rib and made a 3 inch hole of the rib area. Pass through and was recovered in the offside scapula. Measured weight retention 58%

All that being said, In the end all that matters is a well placed shot. 7mm-08 up to a 7mmRUM in the heart or head at a reasonable range will result in near instant kills, with any type of bullet. Hope that helps some.

New here... late to the party on this, however if you see this, OP, did you have any different results this year with the same loading, did you change your loading?

I've had g success with the 130 TTSX in a 30-06. Antelope and elk have been taken with that bullet. Wouldn't hesitate to use the 150 TTSX, however experience tells me the 130TTSX would get the job done with an even flatter trajectory and more impact velocity, and it has.

With that said, your 308 Win launching the 150 TTSX at 2825 FPS had the needed velocity (as you said, perfect mushroom) with a decently placed shot on your elk, not so much on your fathers elk.

Chalk it up to the first shot not being where your father wanted and having to finish an animal hanging on to life and energized.

My deer/elk rifle is a 35 Whelen AI, shooting the 200 gr TTSX at a chrongraphed 2925 FPS. A dozen elk and a few mule deer in there for good measure with Barnes bullets, the majority being the 200 TTSX in recent years.

OP
Sandstrom

Sandstrom

WKR
New here... late to the party on this, however if you see this, OP, did you have any different results this year with the same loading, did you change your loading?

I've had g success with the 130 TTSX in a 30-06. Antelope and elk have been taken with that bullet. Wouldn't hesitate to use the 150 TTSX, however experience tells me the 130TTSX would get the job done with an even flatter trajectory and more impact velocity, and it has.

With that said, your 308 Win launching the 150 TTSX at 2825 FPS had the needed velocity (as you said, perfect mushroom) with a decently placed shot on your elk, not so much on your fathers elk.

Chalk it up to the first shot not being where your father wanted and having to finish an animal hanging on to life and energized.

My deer/elk rifle is a 35 Whelen AI, shooting the 200 gr TTSX at a chrongraphed 2925 FPS. A dozen elk and a few mule deer in there for good measure with Barnes bullets, the majority being the 200 TTSX in recent years.
I ended up switching to 150 grain Hornady sst, factory load for this year in both our guns. The stuff shoots ridiculously good in everything I put it in!! I was also able to find a couple hundred rounds for a good price. It is not exactly what I wanted to shoot but it is crazy precise! It worked well on two antelope this year, one at 200 and one at 420.
I like the idea of the 130’s! I might have to give them a try.
Ryan

I ended up switching to 150 grain Hornady sst, factory load for this year in both our guns. The stuff shoots ridiculously good in everything I put it in!! I was also able to find a couple hundred rounds for a good price. It is not exactly what I wanted to shoot but it is crazy precise! It worked well on two antelope this year, one at 200 and one at 420.
I like the idea of the 130’s! I might have to give them a try.
Ryan
Thanks for the update, and congrats on the successful hunt! Yes, give the 130 is a try, they don't lose any weight for the most part which has them weighing more than a heavier bullet that retains 60% of its weight. My experience is bullets that lose weight on impact, give more visual damage on the onside but not necessarily any more lethal effect. When the heart or lungs are put out of commission the animal isn't going far.

Trackselk

WKR
Late to the game, but figured I'd share my love for the ttsx. Three six point bulls (2 of them large herd bulls), and a 5x6 taken with the 150's. 2 of the bulls were DRT, one was energized from trotting around being the boss to a few other bulls, he ran 100 yards, and then I hit the 5x6 poorly, but the penetration of the ttsx drove through and clipped an artery, recovered the elk about a half mile easy track in the snow. Lung shots on the 3 that died quickly. Even the 300 yard shot that ran 100 yards had destroyed lungs. FWIW
Oh, my MA hated the 130's, but .33 moa with the 150's. Impressive factory ammo!

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
When it comes to mono metal bullets, got to remember that Barnes, Hammers, Hornady, & Nosler ET all need a minimum velocity of 1800fps to open up on impact, The Barnes LRX line and Federal's TBT will open up down to 1600fps. So one needs to figure out velocity and see how far the bullet travels to reach those minimum fps, and that will be your max range for that rifle/bullet combination.
On a side note, I've had very good luck with Barnes TTSX in .243, .270, 30-06, & 300WM.

Always good to be reminded in each thread it comes up that monos need more speed to open up in case somebody doesn't know that. Folks should be aware of what their bullet is capable of when they choose their ammunition or choose their components.

I feel like there is a theme that folks aren't aware of that. The new generation of hunters is concerned with barrel busting ranges and scopes that can pick out a gnat's ass at a thousand yards. They are losing the forest for the trees.

At any normal hunting range a TTSX or LRX is going to work just fine.

I feel I'm lucky where I hunt out west there aren't guys sitting on one side of a ridge shooting over the top of me to the next one. I guess that would be called hunting if it wasn't spotting and sniping.

Last edited:
I just took an Elk with Barnes TTSX .308 168 gr. 200 yards, not impressed. 4 shots into the lungs broadside before the Elk went down. I know Elk are tough, but 4 shots into the lungs on a young bull... He didn't run, or I would still be searching the Colorado Rockies. I'm going back to lead. This weight retention stuff is nonsense. I'd rather have the bullet fragment like a partition and make a big mess.

Trackselk

WKR
Another one in the freezer for me also. Spike bull, 350 yards (235 angle compensated, steep downhill shot), .308 150 grain, made it 10 feet. Blew the arteries off of the heart, the perfect mushroom was on the offside hide.

Northman.

FNG
Saw on another forum an email reply from Barnes.

Minimum impact velocity for reliable opening

TTSX .308/130 = 1800 fps

TTSX .308/150 = 2000 fps

TTSX .308/168 = 1500 fps

Just wondering what speeds should one expect from an 18" T3x barrel on each of these bullets... and what would the maximum range then be for each?

I’ve had good luck with the 130 from a 308 win. Judging from the last few posts here, I’ll stay with that load and always get within 300ish yards. Using TAC to get over 3100 fps.

mlabac72

FNG
I recently purchased a Browning X-bolt suppresser ready 18" .308 to run with a Banish 30 for my short range elk rifle. I wanted to use Nosler Trophy Grade 165 gr Accubonds (2800 fps 24" barrel). I chronoed those at 2665 fps out of my 18" barrel but did not group as well as the Barnes 168 gr TTSX @ 2560 fps. I also tired the Buffalo Bore 150 TTSX @ 2760 fps with similar groups as the Accubonds. My Xbolt likes 168 grs as observed with other 168 gr loads. I reached out to Barnes asking if I should step down to the 150 grain bullet since I am loosing about 120 fps with my 18" barrel as I was concerned about expansion and there reply was:

"The beautiful thing about the 168 gr TTSX is it was designed with a low impact velocity for expansion for cartridges like the 308 Win and 30-06; 1500 fps. At that impact velocity you will see 1.7x expansion diameter of the original bullet diameter. If 2x expansion diameter is desired raise the 1500 fps to 1600 fps. Now, the 150 gr TTSX for reloading is designed with a 2000 fps minimum in case reloaders shoot it from a 300 magnum cartridge where the 150 TTSX shot from our factory loaded Vor-Tx ammo in 308 Win or 30-06 is rated to expand down to 1600 fps. Clear as mud? You’ll be able to reach out further than you thought with your 308 Win."

So, according to Barnes, the Buffalo Bore Barnes 150 TTSX has 2000 fps min while the factory 150 TTSX is 1600 fps and the 168 TTSX is 1500 fps. With that information and according to my ballistics calculator at 8500 ft elevation the factory 168 TTSX with a muzzle velocity of 2560 fps in my rifle will be going 2045 fps with 1560 ft lbs @ 400 yards and 1812 fps with 1226 ft lbs @ 600 yards. For short range, under 300 yards or so, this bullet should perform but shot placement is key. Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to pull the trigger during first rifle so can not report but maybe next year...

I shot a nice bull with a TTSX .308 168 gr. 4x5 Elk. Took 4 shots to the lungs. My guide was shocked, so he skinned & cut out all 4 bullets. The expansion was nil. Some lost pedals, some slightly open. about 200 yards. Not one mushroomed.
He said he would not allow copper ammo again in his camp.

Trackselk

WKR
I shot a nice bull with a TTSX .308 168 gr. 4x5 Elk. Took 4 shots to the lungs. My guide was shocked, so he skinned & cut out all 4 bullets. The expansion was nil. Some lost pedals, some slightly open. about 200 yards. Not one mushroomed.
Factory or reloads? Unless those are extra slow reloads then I would have to assume you got a bad batch... I've never seen one not expand, and that's on more than a dozen deer and elk, out to 400 yards on 2 of them, and those 2 were basically DRT.

Loper

WKR

How long was the barrel? Was it shorter than 22” inches?