.308 175gr Sierra matchking

MNGaryB

FNG
Does anyone know of a hunting bullet that has similar ballistics and all around similar accuracy as a smk 175 bthp?
Thanks

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
I've had great luck with the old 178 amax. They are not as tolerant of jump as the SMK, as you can practically jump it 1/4" and it'll still shoot. I have not shot any of the new 178 Hornady's but they are worth a try. Another great bullet is the 155 Scenarr. You can run them near 2900 fps with Varget and it's good to at least 600 yards.

OP
MNGaryB

MNGaryB

FNG
Update
Loaded 165gr Sierra game changers. 43gr varget. Shooting 3/4 MOA. Not as good as matchkings but good enough for hunting! It was 2” higher at 100yards than 175gr matchkings with same powder charge.

OP
MNGaryB

MNGaryB

FNG
Just curious, was there a reason you couldn't hunt with the Match Kings?
I read dozens of articles stating there’s zero expansion and pencil in pencil out holes. Many game animals with good shots lost...

Ok, like i said I was just wondering. I've shot plenty of animals with SMK bullets and always had great success. Maybe I've just been lucky so far? Best of luck to you!!

OP
MNGaryB

MNGaryB

FNG
Ok, like i said I was just wondering. I've shot plenty of animals with SMK bullets and always had great success. Maybe I've just been lucky so far? Best of luck to you!!
Sorry if my comment seamed like a reaction! Not intended. You have more experience and knowledge on the matter than I do by the sounds of it! I’m going to try the match king out on a coyote and see how it goes!
Also I’m going to try a few other things on these new game changers. I will keep ya posted!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
SMK’s work. However they exhibit variable behavior in tissue. If you use them, ensure that the open tip is in fact open and that there is no copper or lead blocking it. If you do so, you should expect 2-4” exits on deer.

178 ELD-X has the best BC in that weight class. I also like the Speer 180gr BTSP. I get 2625 from an 18" barrel on those Speers.

new2mud

FNG
I have been loading both the 178 ELD-X as well as the 175 SMK for my 308. While I think the 175 does win in the overall accuracy department, I just started tinkering a bit more with seating depths on the 178 ELD-X and am showing potential for a 0.60 MOA node with it. Which for me, for hunting up to 500 yards would suit me just fine.

new2mud

FNG
42.6 grains of Varget is netting me 2561 FPS out of a 20.5” barrel with the 178, using CBC (Magtech) brass and S&B primers. Single digit SD.