308? 30-06? or 7mm rem mag?

EM_556

WKR
Depends if you want to stay with short action vs long action. If you upgrade to long action, go with a 270 or 30-06. Use Nosler Accubonds or Partitions. Let the bullet and ballistics do the rest. Either caliber will drop any game in North America.

Had all three.........30-06 and 7 mm RM are still here............7 mm RM and 160 AB is my go to rig

Jlmoses1

FNG
308 if you’re concerned about recoil and weight. 300 win mag if you can handle the recoil. Hunting with it won’t be like the range, you won’t notice the recoil when the game is in front of you.

I couldn't hit shit at 500 yards before I put a muzzle brake, Timney trigger, aftermarket buttpad and big glass (NF SHV) on my 300WM. Now I'm ringing steel at 1000 yards repeatedly. Before the mods, I hated shooting that damn rifle, it hurt me to shoot and after 3 rounds I was unhappy. It's not the caliber, it's the way you set up the rifle. Whatever you select, ya gotta make it your own.

View attachment 204425
What do you have and what all have you done to it?

I went .308 for my elk rifle. Found a Barrett fieldcraft at a good price, lightest most accurate rifle I could afford. .308 seemed like a good option in a gun that light, if I was going to carry a heavier gun either way I would have gone w a magnum round.
How do you like it?

I just went through the same dilemma. .308, .270, .30-06, 7mm RemMag, etc. After a month of going back and forth, asking everyone I know that hunts, scouring numerous message boards and reading a bunch of articles I came to this conclusion...as someone new to hunting and rifles (I own other firearms but have never owned a rifle, never been hunting) it really isn't going to make a huge difference what you go with.

I went with the .30-06 simply because of the greater variety of ammunition available in regards to bullet weights. .30-06 is probably also the one caliber where you can find cartridges in literally any shop or hardware store no matter how remote or off the beaten path.

I ordered a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS yesterday in .30-06. I've had some tell me I should have gone with a .270, other buddies who own .308's said I should have bought a .308, while others have chimed in and said the .30-06 was a great choice for someone who wants just one rifle and one caliber to be able to grow with and hunt literally anything in North America. I have no aspirations to do any long range hunting, either.

After all the research and reading and asking other's opinions I came to the conclusion that it really doesn't matter for someone new to rifles and hunting. But take what I've written with a grain of salt because like I said I'm new to rifles and dont even have the rifle in my hands and haven't shot it yet. But I think many of us get too caught up in the smallest of details and tend to lose sight of the big picture. All of those calibers will do what you want and the gear you end up with is almost certainly more accurate than we are as new hunters.
How do you like the EW?

CO-AJ

WKR
So the great thing about .308 is there are 100's of rounds out there differing in makes, quality, bullet type, etc... plus you can generally get .308 ammo everywhere. At least you could before the Chinese flu sent newbies to the store for anything that goes bang. Personally, .300win mag would be my choice. Numerous cartridge offerings, more boxes currently on shelf, and will pretty much take anything in North America. Not sure about AK, I think I would start with a 338 up there.

30-06 165 gr. Accubond & Partition or 150 gr. E-tip for everything.

280 Remington 140 gr. Accubond, Partition, or E-tip for everything.

280 AI Same as above. (280)

25-06 120 gr. Partition or 110 gr. Accubond for everything on your list and more.

brsnow

WKR
I want to clarify that I'm not a new shooter, I have owned several bolt guns, and shot others up to 30-06. I just have never owned a larger bolt gun because I cannot hunt with them in my area.

Im open to smaller calibers then the mags, but I'm fully capable of handling them, it's just not as enjoyable as somthing like a 308.

My hang-up is the knockdown power of smaller calibers, I know shot placement is more important, I just need someone to talk me into a specific caliber.... So let's say it's now between 7-08, 308, and 30-06.

Im not factoring ammo cost in my decision. My decision is solely based on cartridge performance and recoil

I have never had to track an elk with my .308

muddydogs

WKR
I like the 308 and take one for a back up rifle, I shoot a 25-06 for deer and antelope and wouldn't think twice about shooting an elk with one. But if your looking for your first larger caliber rifle a 30-06 is hard to beat and chances are if you continue to chase elk your going to want a bigger caliber within a couple years so why not start out with it. I shoot a 7mm RM for elk mainly because my dad gave it to me as a Christmas present 30 + years ago and would put it and 165 grain Nosler Accubond bullets up against anything in this caliber class.

Personally I would recommend going with a 30-06 as minimum and 300 win mag as max, if your into newer calibers theirs a bunch of them in between them two calibers. Heck I have been reading that the 338 win mag may be making a come back as the new trendy elk round. In general your splitting hairs between these calibers and each one has taken a bunch of elk over the years.

If you just want to be told which caliber to get then I say a 7mm RM, synthetic stock, stainless barrel and as light as you can afford. Wood stocks are nice and neat but with today's technology they have no place in the elk woods when your putting on the miles in all sorts of nasty weather. After killing yourself for 10 days hiking over hill and dale in the snow and rain you don't want to have to worry if your one and only shot is going to hit where it should or not.

stvnshnn

Lil-Rokslider
(In an effort me post to 10 threads so I can comment and send PMs about classifieds)
I shoot a Tikka in -06 and I have no complaints. Good shooter, killed everything I've shot at with it. There's no wrong answer in your options. Good luck--gun shopping is a pretty good time if you let it be.