.308 ammo - 180 Core-lokt or 165 Fusion

I'm building a Savage .308 for my son, and I'm getting ready to test some factory ammo from it. He does not hand load, and I don't expect him to anytime soon, if ever. I wanted to start with some very common, inexpensive and easy to find factory loads that he could use on elk if he wanted. I grabbed a box of 180-grain Remington Core-lokt and 165-grain Federal Fusion.

Anyone have experience on elk with either of these loads?

Strangely enough, the 165 Fusions have a much higher BC than the 180 Core-lokts do. That was a surprise to me.

Apollo117

WKR
IIRC, the Core-lokt ammo uses a flat base bullet. Can't remember the bullet manufacturer.

Federal Fusion ammo uses a boat tail bullet made by Speer.

I could be wrong. It's been a while since I used a bullet puller on these two ammos.

Rich M

WKR
Both will do the job. I think the 165s will have better ballistics. Put either tight behind the shoulder and you have meat.

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot both and pick whichever get a the best groups. Both are more than enough for elk. I've shot elk with 140 grain core lokt from a 270 and they work fine.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ahlgringo

WKR
I have used 180g core lokts out of a 30-06 since I began elk hunting. Never had an issue, my gun loves em. There are better bullets out there, and I may change at some point- but I am also cheap

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Shoot both and pick whichever get a the best groups. Both are more than enough for elk. I've shot elk with 140 grain core lokt from a 270 and they work fine.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
That's what I plan to do. I wanted to eat the cost of trying a few inexpensive, commonly available factory rounds so my son won't have to. I'd like to just give him the rifle and box of whatever shoots best, and save him the expense.

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
I used Core Lokts for several years with elk and had good success with them. I shot the 160 grain or 165 cant remember what the core lokt offering was but had good results with them on elk. I moved to the Barnes 165 grain copper offering (I think it is the TTSX). The main move was to avoid lead since I have young kids and young nieces/nephews but I think it is a better factory round with better mass retention then lead. It is a little more expensive but a box will last a few years if only using for hunting once you have everything dialed. I typically shoot a couple rounds out of whatever box I plan to hunt with once I have everything dialed just as a final check.

OP
Newtosavage
I'll let you know once I finish the build. It's nothing fancy - just a Savage Axis with the upgraded factory stock and magazine. But in my experience, even those shoot pretty darn well.

Someday he will get my stainless Tikka 7mm-08 but not just yet. LOL

Mike7

WKR
Both my savage and tikka 308's seem to shoot the federal fusion 165 gr ammo more accurately than the Rem 180 Corelok, and the Fusions seem to work really well on animals from 100 to 300 yds anyway.