308 Antelope/Mule Deer Bullet

BCD

WKR
I will be going on a combo antelope/mule deer hunt this fall in Wyoming (the mule deer tag will be antlerless). Looking for suggestions for a bullet for my new Bergara 308. Shots could be up to 400 but it is very unlikely I would shoot over 300. I would like to not have to shoot a premium bullet for this application unless it is really necessary (I don't reload). I'm definitely going to try the Hornady America Whitetail 165 grain. Are there any suggestions here? I sure hope I can even get bullets to shoot through it!!

Thanks!

I like both of those bullets a lot. Just trying to go a little cheaper here if possible.
The Accubonds are not that expensive really. Partitions are a bit more but with either one you know they are going to perform on game superbly. Either will penetrate, retain a good percentage of the original rate, and won't be horrible on the lost amount of meat caused by the bullet.

Reactions: BCD

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
Considering market conditions, I'd settle on whatever decent 150-168 grain hunting bullet shot well in my rifle that I could buy. I work at a gun store in western montana, and I'm seeing maybe five boxes of decent 308 hunting ammo come in every 2-4 weeks. You have plenty of time to find a good cartridge and an antelope or a mulie doe will fall to any soft point out there with good placement.

I like both of those bullets a lot. Just trying to go a little cheaper here if possible.
I haven’t looked at prices recently, but partitions and accubonds around me are only like $10 more per box. Only takes a few shots to know if your rifle likes them. Granted you are only going after deer and antelope so you probably don’t need a premium bullet, but $10 seems worth it to me

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
You bought a rifle, scope, antelope and muley tags, probably a bunch of gear and you're going to spend a lot of time and more money traveling to your destination and you want to save a couple of bucks on the ammo?? I'd be testing the best stuff by reputation/recommendation I could get my hands on.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Sandstrom

WKR
I used Barnes 150 grain TTSX in both my fathers and my 308 for three antelope and two elk. All three antelope dropped in their tracks. Shots were at 80, and 320 yards. I was very pleased with the performance on antelope, good wound channel with out ruining hardly any meat.

Ryan

OP
B

BCD

WKR
You bought a rifle, scope, antelope and muley tags, probably a bunch of gear and you're going to spend a lot of time and more money traveling to your destination and you want to save a couple of bucks on the ammo?? I'd be testing the best stuff by reputation/recommendation I could get my hands on.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I dont know that I need a premium bullet for antelope or mule deer. I shot an elk last year in CO and spent over $600 in ammo to choose the right bullet and practice with it a lot. I ended up using a 165 grain Barnes out of my 300 WSM. If I can find a bullet for $30 or less per box that shoots well, I will go with that. If the less expensive bullets don't shoot well then I will step up to a more premium bullet. I plan to shoot the 308 a LOT and really bought it as much for shooting as hunting so a reasonable priced bullet that shoots well would be ideal if I can find one.

slvrslngr

WKR
Nothing wrong with cup and cores for your hunt. I’d add Remington Core Locks (if you come across some) or blue box Federals to your list as well. The American Whitetail ammo is good stuff and that would be my first choice. I’d stick with 150 or 165 grain bullets if you can but wouldn’t hesitate to shoot 180’s if that’s all you can find.

Jeff_Gibbons

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the others - standard cup and core that shoots well and good shot placement and you are gold.

Federal Fusions shot well in all 3 of my 308s and worked really well. Get a few boxes if possible and practice shooting over your back pack or bipods. You'll tip them over no sweat with a 308.

If i can offer some lessons from my limited experience with Antelope - bring gloves and consider knee pads. I didn't and learned the hard way while crawling to get closer in Wyoming. Had a spine of some cactus like hell weed thorn in my palm for two months. And don't forget the wind.

Have fun and good luck.

sdupontjr

WKR
My Tikka T3 308 will shoot sub MOA with federal blue box 150's. I ran out and used my sons Rem corelok 150's and it shoots them damn near in the same hole. You may get lucky with cheap ammo. I am however reloading for some better BC rounds, just haven't tried them yet.

For real cheap stuff Remington cor-loks always did the trick. I recently shot a box through a 300 WM and was shocked at how well they shot, like dam near half inch at 100. I’d use them in a pinch if I had to.