308 for elk

I have a friend that has hunted elk for years... His go to rifle from the time he started was a .270. He has killed several elk out to 350 yrds with it too. The benefit he had from it was that it's lighter to pack around in the mountains and there is more than an ample supply of ammo made to do the job on a big game such as elk. If the shot placement is good then consider the tag filled! He chose this caliber over a very large selection he owns ranging from .300 win mag to 7mm ultra mag to custom .308 with a bull barrel.

He has shot elk with the .308 and .300 but always seemed to revert back to the .270 if any hiking was to be done.

I will add that he just headed back to Vail last week and took a .308 with him but because the new hasn't warn off on it yet!! Sold the old one and got a Kimber with McMillan stock, bull barrel, and a Nightforce that I think is one of the higher magnifications they make. But with that gun he wont do much hiking as I have seen the 6-8 inch groups he shoots out to 1000 yrds. But he does his own hand loads with Berger bullets too..... Hope this helps.