308 for elk

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
My cousin will be going on her first elk hunt in CO this year during the first rifle season. We have family in the area and there are some pretty decent bulls for her to shoot. Her usual hunting rifle for deer (whitetail and mule deer) is a 220 swift or 243. She loves these guns and is deadly accurate with them. The deer may not drop to the ground right there, but we find them dead within 150 yards. Of course for elk she will need to step it up a bit. Lots of people talk about large 300's with 180-200 gr bullets, but I don't want her to practice with that and develop a twitch. She has never liked rifles with alot of recoil.

I was thinking of my 308 with a 150-180 gr bullet., maybe 270 with 140's? I doubt the shots will be over 150 yards. If you can't shoot straight it doesnt' matter what gun you use.

What do you'all think?

Either or. Plenty of elk have been killed with both .308's and .270's. Just pick a good bullet and it will be fine.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I've shot multiple atleast 5 moose, 8 caribou, a dall shep and a few deer, and even a couple grizzly bear with a .308 win. My wife has taken a black bear, a moose, 5 caribou, and a dall sheep with a .308 win. I think a good 165 or 180 grain bullet out of a .308 win will be more than sufficient for an elk IMO based on the critters we've tipped over with them.

OP
R

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
I read the Tripple Shock ammo from federal is deadly. All copper, but retains alot of wieght.

Shrek

WKR
I read the Tripple Shock ammo from federal is deadly. All copper, but retains alot of wieght.

A bonded lead core or patition will have better cross sectional density which means better penetration. The all copper bullets are just a work around for california lead free zones that are being pushed as a way to sell very expensive bullets. IMO.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
A bonded lead core or patition will have better cross sectional density which means better penetration. The all copper bullets are just a work around for california lead free zones that are being pushed as a way to sell very expensive bullets. IMO.

My personal experience with Barnes TTSX is they out-penetrate all other expanding bullets I have tried, including bonded and partition styles.

They are excellent game bullets, and not just a work-around for lead laws, IMO.

Shrek

WKR
I personally don't shoot any of the heavy jacket , two hole making bullets. I was shooting sst's and ballistic tips for the last few years. Now I'm shooting the berger's. Everything I shoot with them is DRT. Loaded up some speer 7mm 145gr btsp in my 7mm-08 last year. Shot one doe with them , she ran 70yards . I was stunned as it had been years since a deer had run off. The bullet had punched a hole throught both lungs and just missed her heart. With my usual bullets her whole chest cavity would have been jello. Not a big fan of two hole bullets.

There is a lot more that goes into determining a bullet's penetration than the density of the material it is made out of.

I've only shot a half-dozen critters with all-copper bullets, but my experience mirros Bitterroot Bulls'.

The Barnes TSX and TTSX are very accurate too.

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
Wow this thread is all over the place!

The OP asked about using a 308 on elk and we have guys comparing deer to elk and one guy calling Barnes bullets just an answer to CA outlawing lead bullets.

I have never hunted or shot elk but I have a good understanding of what they are and what it will take to humanely kill one. In my opinion the 308 with a 150-180gr quality bullet will get the job done and then some. Like belly-deep states there have been thousands of elk killed with 270's and 308's.

Partitions, A-frames, game kings, Barnes, Accubonds, etc are all good quality bullets designed to penetrate and hold together. If you don't hand load Federal and Barnes both sell loaded ammo with good quality bullets for the .308 Win.

You guys using Bergers have fun with them, they may work on thin skinned game like whitetails but I have seen quite different results on heavier game and will never be using them.

And Barnes were invented well before the lead ban in CA and if you find something that penetrates deeper than they do let me know about it. I have yet to recover one they penetrate so good. Brown bears, sheep, caribou, black bears, moose, yep in one side and out the opposite side and dead right there animals.

Jager

WKR
I have shot a lot of Red Deer, the Elk's smaller cousin, but known for being a lot more aggressive than Elk. Know I know many people say either/or with a .270 or .308, but I have honestly found the 30 cal a lot better killer than the 7mm, on paper might not add up, but in the field imo it does, much better choice for a lady as well.

Jimbob

WKR
My brother uses a .308 and my other brother uses a .270. Both have killed numerous moose with those rifles, I wouldn't hesitate to use either.

bnsafe

WKR
i might throw out there that if shes looking for one rifle for everything remington used to make there reduced recoil loads in 308. so she could shoot the real deal on elk then just go to the reduced recoil for everything else. thats what i do with my daughter with her 3006 and the rr loads work awesome.

on rare occasion i do hunt with my 7 mag i shoot 140 gr bullets for any big game. it's all about shot placement. if she is using a .270 she will be fine. i killed a cow with my 7mag last year on a late season landowner tag in December.

JP7

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with what everyone has said. I used a .308 shooting 180 grain Remington Core-Lokts, and it worked. I watched my buddy drop a ~320 bull at around 400 yards with one shot from his .270 shooting 150 grain Berger's.

Swede

WKR
As someone mentioned earlier the 308 with a well built 165 gr bullet is a good load, but the elk will not like it.

OP
R

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
Just a follow up-my cousin bagged a nice 5x5 with a .308 180 gr bullet. It took two shots at 225 yards. Sorry I don't have any pictures :(