308 for hunting and long range

Bcowette

FNG
I sold my current deer rifle which was a Browning Bar in 308. I went through a phase in life where I though I needed to let the lead fly. That phase is over. I'd like to buy a new bolt gun that can be used as a deer rifle as needed and I'd like to get into long range shooting for fun. I handled a CA Traverse with 20" barrel and fell in love with that. The gun "just fit". It's a bit spendy though so I don't want to just dive into that without looking at other options. What are some other options I should look at? I'd like to stay with the 308 caliber because I like it and I already have a pile of ammo. My thought is I'd like about a 20' barrel to keep it compact and allow me to add a break or suppressor in the future if I choose without making the gun too long. I'm not huge on ultra lightweight but I also don't want it to be a complete tank. Lastly I want something with a nice quality composite stock not some super cheap plastic stock.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a 1960's era Sako 308 with a mannlicher walnut stock and 20" barrel. It's very light, extremely low recoil and an absolute tack driver. Thinking of bringing it along on my Colorado 3rd season elk/muley hunt ( Lord willing and the crick don't rise I get my tags) and decide whether to use it or my 300 Weatherby mag or Sako after scouting a bit. Going to be camping on a mountain in GMU 8. I plan on getting a lot of range time with both.

Spoonbill

WKR
I sold my current deer rifle which was a Browning Bar in 308. I went through a phase in life where I though I needed to let the lead fly. That phase is over. I'd like to buy a new bolt gun that can be used as a deer rifle as needed and I'd like to get into long range shooting for fun. I handled a CA Traverse with 20" barrel and fell in love with that. The gun "just fit". It's a bit spendy though so I don't want to just dive into that without looking at other options. What are some other options I should look at? I'd like to stay with the 308 caliber because I like it and I already have a pile of ammo. My thought is I'd like about a 20' barrel to keep it compact and allow me to add a break or suppressor in the future if I choose without making the gun too long. I'm not huge on ultra lightweight but I also don't want it to be a complete tank. Lastly I want something with a nice quality composite stock not some super cheap plastic stock.
Browning Xbolt may fit the bill for what you are looking for. FYI I haven’t handled one recently but I have always found Browning to build a quality product.

sdupontjr

WKR
Tikka .308 in factory stock. The factory stock is actually quite nice. I needed something with a little less recoil due to shoulder issues. Had been shooting my Browning A-bolt 7 mag for the pass 25 years.

OP
B

Bcowette

FNG
What are people's thoughts on Bergara? The new wilderness terrain in 308 looks like it might be exactly what I want. 8.9 lbs is a bit heavy but with a short 20" tube it should balance fairly well free hand which is more important to me than weight.

16Bore

WKR
There’s some f’ed up thing with the way they dothe barrels.

Jardo

WKR
20 inch barrels are not common in the long range game. 308 is a decent 4-500 yard deer rifle but not really long range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
Pay attention to the rifling twist on factory .308 rifles. Some will be 1:12 and may struggle with some of the long 165's and heavier bullets that you would want to use for LR shooting.

I think its a good all around choice for hunting and LR shooting.

I would try to find a Steyr Pro THB in 20" barrel. Should run about $1000 or a little more. Really nice rifle already set up for both hunting and precision shooting.

Jeremy

prm

WKR
Go buy whatever rifle you like the feel of, and have a 20” 308 barrel put on it.

A Savage 110 ultralight with the Proof barrel would be interesting. 22” tube though. The Savage Lightweight Storm has a 20”.

I too did not like the feel of Tikkas. Then I tried a T3X. It felt much better, and with the vertical grip I really liked it.

Maybe a Remington 700 SPS Tactical. 20” heavy barrel.

I dont like the Tikka factory stocks. No offense but they feel like a cheap plastic toy.
I felt the same way until I painted mine with textured paint. Then I had guys at the range asking where they could get one of those custom stocks for their Tikka. LOL Cost me $5 and a couple hours of my time. The Tikka factory stock is actually much stiffer than most plastic stocks. And they are damn accurate rifles. I'd say a Tikka with a 20" barrel will do what you're asking, and if you find yourself shooting long range, you can easily modify the bolt stop and magazine box (or get the mid-length mags) to allow you to seat really long bullets touching the lands. Can't do that with most other .308's.

If that doesn't work for you, then get out the checkbook.

The .308 has been doing both long range shooting and hunting for decades. Not reason not to stay with it IMO.

tp308

Lil-Rokslider
.308 for me (have 3 rifles in it)... have killed dozens of whitetails with it from 20-200 yds over the yrs. It’s not the latest and greatest but about as versatile as they come

R_burg

WKR
I felt the same way until I painted mine with textured paint. Then I had guys at the range asking where they could get one of those custom stocks for their Tikka. LOL Cost me $5 and a couple hours of my time. The Tikka factory stock is actually much stiffer than most plastic stocks. And they are damn accurate rifles. I'd say a Tikka with a 20" barrel will do what you're asking, and if you find yourself shooting long range, you can easily modify the bolt stop and magazine box (or get the mid-length mags) to allow you to seat really long bullets touching the lands. Can't do that with most other .308's.

If that doesn't work for you, then get out the checkbook.

The .308 has been doing both long range shooting and hunting for decades. Not reason not to stay with it IMO.

They are stiff. And I love Tikka's. But they do feel cheap, so I dont blame the OP for thinking that way.

That being said - its all relative. For their lack of overall popularity, I've read more than a few threads on snipershide and LRH about the recent Brownings that didnt group that well. Tikka's pretty much the best OEM action and trigger you can buy, and they are cheap - so its really about where do you want to spend your money in my opinion. Theres no free lunch.

OP - my lighter weight and travel oriented rifle is a 308. I can get ammo for that thing anywhere and it groups great with the 178 ELD-X's. Admittedly, it is a Tikka.

You didn't say what you consider long range, but I have that gun setup to be a 400-500 yrd gun. I am building a new 7mm SAUM for longer range hunting shots.

Not recommending a brand as that is personal preference. But will chime in on the velocity impact that I have seen with my 308 Win with a 20" barrel.

I have a Savage LWH in 308 and it wears a Razor LH (3-15). My only complaint is the "sloppy" bolt but that does not effect its shooting nor its accuracy. Due to its portability and lightweight (7# all in), this is my "go to" rifle for most black bear hunting in AZ and will occasionally go with me on out-of-state hunts where it makes the most sense. This combo is a keeper and has a permanent home in my safe.

Using commercial Precision Hunter, it averages 2518 fps. Not taking into account environmentals, it will cross 1800 fps around 500 yards. That is its upper limit from a hunting perspective. I do regularly take it to 600 yards on steel but rarely do I go further.

There are better choices if you want to hunt past 500 yards. Hunting inside 500 yards, it can be a very good choice.

16.25" barrel Ruger GSR. Muzzle velocity is 2700 fps with factory 150 gr TTSX. Longest shot has been 349 yards on a buck antelope. Barely a reaction on a double lung hit but he went down in short order. You should be fine with deer at the distances noted above I would think.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bergara, have a hunter in 308 22in barrel, Harris bipod, razor lht, vortex pmr rings, nightforce rail. Guns a shooter seen half moa groups with Hornady precision hunter and match. It's around the 9 1/2 mark loaded.

Bergara makes I believe the ridge model with a 20in barrel and it's threaded. The stocks on bergara from factory are awesome and being Remington 700 foot print the sky is the limit with them for modification.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk