308 load

KsRancher

WKR
I have read several threads about .308 load with varget and 175 smk's. It seems most people end up with 43-44.5gr of powder. I haven't reloaded for a while and was getting all set back up to go again. I have 2lbs of Varget, 175smk & 168eld, Winchester brass, hornady match brass and federal brass. The primers I have are MAG primers. I know I dont need mag primers for the 308 but I bought them so I could use the same primer for my .308 and 300rum. My question is. What should I start my load at for the 175smk grain wise since I am using mag primers. It seems most people start a load at 40-42gr with regular primers.

meta_gabbro

Lil-Rokslider
I'm using Fed 215's in my 308; in my experience I have yet to see pressure signs below the midpoint between the starting and max published loads for a powder/bullet combo. My ladders start with the minimum load from my references and go up in 1gr steps until halfway between the min and max loads, after that it's 0.2gr steps up to max to watch for pressure signs. If you hit an accurate node, switch to 0.1gr steps around it to dial it in, or if you're just pushing for speed go till you hit pressure signs and then back off in the same increments.