.308 Speed Question

tlanham4

FNG
I've been developing loads for my wifes Tika .308 over the past couple weeks and I finally found a recipe it likes. The average FPS was 2528 and I'm curious if this is a little slow for hunting.

The load is 165 gr Barnes TSX over 44.0 grains of RL 15 with a Winchester Large Rifle Primer.

Most of my handloads are in the 3000FPS range for my rifles.

Thanks in advance.

TauPhi111

WKR
We'll need way more details to be able to tell you anything useful. What is your barrel length? What load data are you using, if any, and what is the projected MV for that load? What cartridge are you comparing it too that you are getting 3000 FPS? If you are getting 3000 FPS with other 165 grain bullets in a 308, you might want to re-read the load manual. If you're comparing it to another cartridge...idk why you would expect them to be similar in that regard. The MV you are getting might be a little slower than average but is not out of the ballpark for the 308 with 165s and a shorter barrel.

I would change bullets that 165 at 2500 isn’t fast enough in my experience to shoot maybe 200-250 yards and get expansion. Copper performs better the faster you push it and I like to try for 3000 fps. Either drop weight if you want to stay with copper or switch to a different bullet. Speed doesn’t seem terribly out of line for a 165 in 308 Probably 100 fps slow but could just be a slow barrel.

EastMT

WKR
I’m getting 2550 with 180 gr partitions, varget in a 20” barrel. Have you tried other powders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tunafed

FNG
My normal deer zone is in the CA condor range so I've been using copper for a while and agree you need to push them fast. If the primary purpose is for deer I'd look at the 130 gr barnes. In my 7mm-08 I've had good results with CFE223, BL-C2 and Varget with the 110 and 120 ttsx's

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
Point of reference:

Nosler Accubond 165 .308 Factory Load
Rated for 2800 FPS on the box
I get 2600 FPS in my 18" barrel Kimber Adirondack (10 Shot Avg over the chrono)

You're running slower in a longer barrel...

akspudus

FNG
The TTSX’s need velocity to expand. A few years ago I emailed Barnes with some questions. In the discussion the tech I was getting my information from said that some of their bullets will expand well at 1800fps but would rather I used 2000fps as the minimum expansion velocity.
That being said. Take your muzzle velocity and calculate out how far you can get and stay at it above 2000fps. If that is an adequate range for you and you like the accuracy...then the answer to your question is...no your velocities are not too slow.
As a side note...a benefit of the solid copper bullets are you can shoot a bullet that is “light for the caliber” and do quite well. Solids tend to hold hold onto mass and penetrated deeper.
I’ve never recovered a TTSX from deer or caribou. I have recovered then from a moose and a bison. All of the recovered bullets held onto most of theirs weight and were found under the hide on the off side of the animal.
All that to say...I would drop your 308 load down to the 150gr TTSX. Which would give you and increase in muzzle velocity and maybe a little better performance.
I am shooting the 150 gr. TTSX’s in my308 Kimber Mointain Ascent. I am getting velocities up around the 2950’s with incredible accuracy. I shot three caribou this year with them. Two at just over 200yds, one at about 60 yds. All bullets passed through. All animals died immediately. Bang...flop!

dla

WKR
Curious. Are you chronographin your loads or relying on recipe test barrel velocities?
If you were shooting a standard lead bullet, the 2500'is fps velocity would be just fine. But I've no experience with copper.