308 vs 7mm STW

I have a Tikka T3 308 that shoots factory ammo moa if I do my part. The gun is compact and light and does well in the tree stabd or the box blind.

I also have a Remington 700 Sendero in 7mm STW. Amazing caliber but I don't reload and the ammo is crazy expensive and often unavailable. Also the rifle is long and a little awkward in tight spots.

I have learned between these two calibers for a factory ammo guy, factory ammo availability becomes a factor. 7mm STW factory ammo is hard to come by.

What would you prefer between these two calibers for whitetail hunting a mix of woods and large fields where 500 yard shots would be a possibility?

308 or 7mm STW

Forest

WKR
You should probably just get rid of that stw, I'll send you my address if you'd like?? In all seriousness the 308 is certainly up to the task for your situation. And like you mentioned much easier to get ammo for and handier in the stand and the trees. Personally I'd go with the stw just because, but far from necessary in this case...

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Factory ammo is the first thought that popped into my head before I clicked the thread. 308 will take any North American game except brown bears, and it could even do that if necessary. STW gone, 308 for the win.

OP
General RE LEE
Anymore feedback between these two calibers? I can't decide if I want to put my Leupold Mark 5 HD on my Tikka 308 or my Remington 700 7mm STW. If the Mark 5 HD goes on my 7mm STW, it will be a single purpose rifle hunting out of box blinds over fields. If I put the Mark 5HD on my 308, I can also use it in tree stand.

How often do you shoot?

I have a factory sendero in stw getting rebarreled now. It doesn't take much to burn out the barrel.

It's kinda hard to beat a 308. Only thing is when you can't range the target and run lightweight in the 7stw, but they suck at distance.

LightFoot

WKR
The STW provides very little if any "useable" difference inside 500 yards. The added expense, recoil, and weight of that rifle just add to cons without getting you much in the pros.

I would sell or trade the STW and go down to the 7mm Rem if you are wanting a magnum or plan to stretch out to 600+. The ammo availability for someone that doesn't reload makes more sense.

>>>----JAKE----->

Forest

WKR
How often do you shoot?

I have a factory sendero in stw getting rebarreled now. It doesn't take much to burn out the barrel.

It's kinda hard to beat a 308. Only thing is when you can't range the target and run lightweight in the 7stw, but they suck at distance.
Curious how many rounds you got out of your sendero stw barrel??

OP
General RE LEE
The thing is I’ve got the 7mm STW in hand and two boxes of ammo. Might as well enjoy it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curious how many rounds you got out of your sendero stw barrel??

Not many.

I got it used, so I don't know exact round count but from what the previous owner told me (who I know reasonably well, not anyone who is going to bs me) it can't be too high. I ran about 200 rounds through it, he had maybe 100 of what was too hot hand loads. I shot a few in the summer and it locked the bolt up. Those were 140 grain pills. I was running 160+. I'm sure that shortened it but I have talked to a few others who had a similar experience. Seems like aroun 700-750 you need to be planning a rebarrel. Maybe someone else can add knowledge in that. Under a bore scope the throat doesn't look terrible, some wear for certain tho. It's actually the end of the barrel around the crown that it's burned out, a little odd. Could cut and crown but don't want to loose any barrel length on it.

adamsguy

FNG
It sounds like you shoot the 308 well so my 2 cents due to the pluses you noted on ammo, barrel length, weight I’d shoot the 308. I had a tikka 270 that shot lights out so I dumped my Weatherby 7mm mag and am thinking of picking of a 308 myself. The Weatherby shot great as well but had to deal with the recoil/ammo costs/ availability. Although I’d also add more guns are more fun.