308 win. 200 gr. tsx

I have a new tikka 308 win. with a 20" bl. supposedly with an 11" twist. I have some win.760 witch Barnes says is fine for the 200tsx in a 308 winny. Problem is Barnes recommends a 10" or faster twist. This would be a 200 yard tops california blackbear load. Plus I'm bored. Anyone with experience in this load? How about anyone experienced shooting a barnes bullet at a slower twist, especially in a t3x that is recommended by Barnes?

erle1139

FNG
150 gr ttsx is what I load for elk in my 308 and it’s done a great job. I would have no qualms using that round for black bear. 200 gr does seem a little heavy for 308.

Edit: I would also check out minimal fps Barnes recommends for bullet effectiveness. My understanding is around 2,000 fps is needed for optimal expansion. Hodgdon’s data shows using max load of Win 760 out of 24” barrel with 200 gr bullet only has low 2400 fps mv. A 20” barrel will be slower, so you may be limiting yourself already towards the bottom end of expansion velocity?

Last edited:
OP
B
I hear what you all are saying about the giant 200 tsx, and I agree smaller and lighter is better but still I dont see why it wont work inside 200 yards if I can defeat the twist rate issue and if its accurate. Plus I'll be the only one around with any california legal ammo. Any suggested loads for the win.760 ? I'm not sure I can find any other california legal bullets other than these 200 grainers.

OP
B
150 gr ttsx is what I load for elk in my 308 and it’s done a great job. I would have no qualms using that round for black bear. 200 gr does seem a little heavy for 308.

Edit: I would also check out minimal fps Barnes recommends for bullet effectiveness. My understanding is around 2,000 fps is needed for optimal expansion. Hodgdon’s data shows using max load of Win 760 out of 24” barrel with 200 gr bullet only has low 2400 fps mv. A 20” barrel will be slower, so you may be limiting yourself already towards the bottom end of expansion velocity?
Barnes manual #5 gives velocity at 2540 which I believe will give me about 2440 out of my 20" bl. and according to manual #4 trajectory table, I should still be slightly above 2000 fps. at 200 yards, however I posted this to get opinions so keepum comin.

eoperator

WKR
A pro in the mono business ( Steve at hammer bullets) talked me out of 166gr in my 18.5" 308 he said velocity and fast twist is king with mono's. Mono's penetrate above their weight class. My .02, 152hammer hunters or 151 absolute's if you are a veteran handloader.

OP
B
A pro in the mono business ( Steve at hammer bullets) talked me out of 166gr in my 18.5" 308 he said velocity and fast twist is king with mono's. Mono's penetrate above their weight class. My .02, 152hammer hunters or 151 absolute's if you are a veteran handloader.
Appreciate your comment. I just visited for the first time the hammer forums last night. I will definitely be exploring that forum for loads. I guess I should point out that Im looking for any loads I can get with powders that arent usually loaded for the 308. I have win.760, h4350 and hybrid 100v. These were for my 270 which was stolen.

brushape

WKR
Just return the 200s and grab the 150s. You don’t want to shoot a bullet that is on the threshold of being too slow to open up that is just a recipe for disaster there are plenty of 150 grain copper bullets available online to reload. If you can’t find any I have some 150 grain gmx blems I stockpiled I can sell you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meta_gabbro

Lil-Rokslider
Keep in mind that if your barrel fails to stabilize the bullet and it keyholes even slightly you're increasing the surface area on impact by anywhere from 0.5x to over 4x. I'd expect seriously limited penetration compared to a point-forward impact, and no (or at least limited) expansion to boot.

Looking at the hodgdon load data for W760, they've got loads for the 175gr Sierras and 200gr Swifts. The 180gr TSX will likely fall somewhere between these two, It probably won't be an optimal/maximal load, but I'd take reduced muzzle velocity over reduced terminal performance due to an under-stabilized bullet. If you're really concerned with expansion at lower velocities you could take the lateral step over to the 180gr TTSX or the minor step down to the 175gr LRX, both of which will be more forgiving of lower velocities and should retain velocity better than the TSX.

OP
B
Just return the 200s and grab the 150s. You don’t want to shoot a bullet that is on the threshold of being too slow to open up that is just a recipe for disaster there are plenty of 150 grain copper bullets available online to reload. If you can’t find any I have some 150 grain gmx blems I stockpiled I can sell you

I never bought the 200's. Haven't seen anywhere that 150's and 760 looks too great either. I think you're right though. They look a hell of a lot better than the 200's.

Last edited:
OP
B
Keep in mind that if your barrel fails to stabilize the bullet and it keyholes even slightly you're increasing the surface area on impact by anywhere from 0.5x to over 4x. I'd expect seriously limited penetration compared to a point-forward impact, and no (or at least limited) expansion to boot.

Looking at the hodgdon load data for W760, they've got loads for the 175gr Sierras and 200gr Swifts. The 180gr TSX will likely fall somewhere between these two, It probably won't be an optimal/maximal load, but I'd take reduced muzzle velocity over reduced terminal performance due to an under-stabilized bullet. If you're really concerned with expansion at lower velocities you could take the lateral step over to the 180gr TTSX or the minor step down to the 175gr LRX, both of which will be more forgiving of lower velocities and should retain velocity better than the TSX.
Thanks for giving me something else to consider. Don't know that I can find anything other than 200 gr. in Barnes but I'll search.

Pro953

WKR
Not the same as the .308 but I cannot get the Barns 200 grain to stabilize in my Win Mag Tikka at the same twist. Major Keyhole issues at even 100 yards. I seriously doubt it would stabilize at the slower speeds.

I have had best luck with the 175LRX if you stick with Barnes. I believe in theory you could get to 180 Grains.

Go for it if you want, but you will have no issues putting down a bear with the 165/168 TTSX or the 175 LRX if you wanted to go as heavy as possible and assuming the will stabilize in the .308 Tikka 11 twist platform.

Good luck!

OP
B
Not the same as the .308 but I cannot get the Barns 200 grain to stabilize in my Win Mag Tikka at the same twist. Major Keyhole issues at even 100 yards. I seriously doubt it would stabilize at the slower speeds.

I have had best luck with the 175LRX if you stick with Barnes. I believe in theory you could get to 180 Grains.

Go for it if you want, but you will have no issues putting down a bear with the 165/168 TTSX or the 175 LRX if you wanted to go as heavy as possible and assuming the will stabilize in the .308 Tikka 11 twist platform.

Good luck!

Glad you chimed in. I too think if the 200's don't work in the win mag with the same twist, it aint gonna work for me. Only reason I was even considering the 200 is because that was the only bullet I could find available and Barnes has it listed with win.760.

slvrslngr

WKR
Just a suggestion, but you might consider putting the 200’s up for trade and see if you can do a swap for some lighter bullets.