308 win have enough velocity for accubonds?

SDHNTR

WKR
I shoot 165 monos (monos because I have to, 165 cause that’s what it likes) out of my 18 inch barrel 308. With zero worry, I put the crosshairs ON the shoulders and touch it off. Stuff hits the dirt.

I have kids. I am married. I have a demanding job. I have a home mortgage. The world is a jacked up place. There’s enough to worry about in my life already. Worrying about stuffing a well proven hunting bullet down the barrel of my rifle is not even last on my list.

165gr Accubond from my 308 (22 inch barrel) has worked great on deer. No shots beyond 100 yards with it. No messy exits or excessive meat loss.

Kids dropped a cow elk at 225 yds with a 16.5 and 22" barrel. Hits were about 3" apart and stopped on offside shoulder. Ribs, lungs scapula then stopped in hide. Could not tell them apart. I will not however use the 16.5 beyond 400 it just loses too much velocity. It is 2575 at muzzle.

I would not push it that far on the 308 personally for elk. I have used the 180 accubond from a 30-06 and seen slugs stop on far side at 425 on bulls. Just practical wind calls start making stuff ugly unless you lots of practice.

Rich M

WKR
Look at Post #13 - that bullet expanded BUT it is not fully expanded. Very cool to find the bullets in the game.

A 165 (or 150 gr) Partition will expand well out of a 308. The front end is a soft cup & core, back end is basically a solid. No elk alive is gonna eat a partition in the ribs and live.

You can use a 150 gr bullet - accubond, partition, etc., etc.

There comes a point where we overthink stuff.

See what you can actually get, work up a load, practice until you know the gun and your max range, go shoot an elk.

or use the 270 again - sounds like it is fine, if you need, get a tougher bullet?

I’ve started going down in size with my 308. I like 150g accubond/partitions or a 130g ttsx. I’ve had good luck with the ~ 150g monos too like hammers and ttsx.

I loaded some of those 130gr TTSX in a 30-06 and they are impressive to say the least. All shots within 125 yards though.

Wrench

WKR
I'm glad to see someone who considered the velocity window into their bullet choice. MANY guys think they need sper tough bullets in rifles that have a lower design velocity.

I'm in agreement that you are treading on borderline expansion territory at your listed range.

I have killed elk with 140gr bullets at 1800fps impact velocity and collected bullets on the far side hide after destroying everything in their path.

In a 308, I'd never think twice about a ballistic tip nor a partition.....but I would be nervous on the accubond.