308 Win loads for 130 grain TTSX and Varget

Wolfshead

FNG
I’ve done some searching and gone back to last year page by page and haven’t found what I’m in need of.
I’m loading for a Tikka T3x lite compact .308 Win, with a 20” barrel, 1-10 twist.
Developing for a hunting load for whitetail deer, as accurate as I can get it for distances out to around 300 yds and in.

I’m looking for load suggestions for 130 grain TTSX and Varget.
Trying to save on components and powder and I’m hoping that some of you have some favorites using these bullets and powder.

I’m an experienced handloader and have loads for my 30-06 and this particular 308 Win rifle, using Nosler Accubonds but, with the political climate here in NY and the possibility of NY going to monolithic bullets only on public land I thought hat I should start developing a load with the Barnes TTSX.

Thank you all in advance for your help!

A382DWDZQ

WKR
I would start with Audette’s shot string to find your velocity flat spots in 0.5gr increments. I’d pay particularly close attention around the velocity your Accubond does well at. If you get a flat spot there, that’s probably your load. Then maybe play with seating depth if needed. I would seat 0.050 initially/use Barnes’ recommendations. With my .308 rifles, 0.050 was longer than factory in all of them. For what it’s worth, I’m moving to 168TTSX for the 308 because it will work just as well at 300yds or less with regard to velocity, it has a lower minimum impact velocity, and it will hold up better in wind.

OP
Wolfshead

Wolfshead

FNG
I would start with Audette’s shot string to find your velocity flat spots in 0.5gr increments. I’d pay particularly close attention around the velocity your Accubond does well at. If you get a flat spot there, that’s probably your load. Then maybe play with seating depth if needed. I would seat 0.050 initially/use Barnes’ recommendations. With my .308 rifles, 0.050 was longer than factory in all of them. For what it’s worth, I’m moving to 168TTSX for the 308 because it will work just as well at 300yds or less with regard to velocity, it has a lower minimum impact velocity, and it will hold up better in wind.
Thank you for your reply!
I should have stated that the Nosler’s are 150 grain which I shoot in both my 06 and 308.
Also my Tikka is my “still hunting” rifle and most of my shots with it are 100-150 max. Not to say that I won’t shoot it further if I have the chance but, it is set up for the woods with a 1.75-5 x 32 scope.
I don’t have a chronograph or the availability of one so I usually end up using my version of OCW to find my loads.
I was hoping for a couple of replies that had favorite loads within my set of components so I could maybe not have to load up 20-30 rounds just to find a load my rifle likes best and then to load more for seating depth.
Thank you again for your reply. It truly is greatly appreciated!

A382DWDZQ

WKR
No worries at all, there is a thread here with some loads. Seems like mid to high end of the charge range. My load with 3031 and the 130 was running about 3030fps from a 20", but really everything from 2900 onwards did pretty well. Maybe just start as close to max as you are comfortable and see how they shoot. The OP on that post was getting 3,100fps from a 24", so that would be ~48gr, which would be ~111% case fill compressed. Should give you around 2930 with that.

OP
Wolfshead

Wolfshead

FNG
Well, I think that this is going to be my plan.
Starting at 47 and working to 49 grains of Varget in .5 grain increments.
Puts me at 15 rounds to start, then I can get an idea as to what is close and work from there.
I’ll be back with some results!

sdupontjr

WKR
Thats the bullet I've been playing with but can't find anymore local. Natches shooters had some in stock for $36 a box which is nice but I'm not paying $19 to ship that little biddy ass box. So, I'll wait for the local shops to restock.

My Tikka T3 308 loves these. My COAL to lands in this bullet is 2.880". I do have a long action bolt stop and M+ mags but chose to use the stock mag and load to length.

Remington Brass, Fed 210 match primer, 47.5g VARGET (compressed), 2.825" COAL, 1/2" MOA
Remington Brass, Fed 210 match primer, 50g TAC, 2.825" COAL, 1/4 - 3/8 MOA

I wanted to try some more and see but like i mentioned, I only have a few left and with hunting season right here, I'll do it later. Barnes site calls seating of the 130 ttsx at 2.735" which would be .140" jump for me. At 2.825", it's .055" jump which is damn near the .050" which the recommend. The only other thing I need to do is check velocity. I know Tikka barrels are somewhat slower, but I'd like to know. Tried TAC because It claims more velocity and it appears to be even more accurate than varget in my gun. However, Varget is 1/2 MOA.

Last edited:

sdupontjr

WKR
My mistake. My COAL with the 130 ttsx is 2.945" not 2.880". That's the COAL with my 155 scenars. So at 2.825" it's a. 120" jump.

OP
Wolfshead

Wolfshead

FNG
I agree with the availability and the “obtainability” of these bullets.
I’ve been trying to get some for almost a year. I bit the bullet ;-) with the shipping just because I’ve been waiting so long….
Your information is similar to mine and your load is within the numbers I’m going to work within so I’m optimistic that I’ll find something I’ll be happy with.
Can’t wait to get some actual results from the range.
I’ll keep you all posted

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Hammer 137 HH. Always in stock, always the shock! (er)
I’d go that route too.

OP, have you looked at the Barnes reloading manual? They have the max listed at 49.2 with a COAL of 2.735. I’d probably go with that exact COAL and work up towards the max load.

sdupontjr

WKR
I’d go that route too.

OP, have you looked at the Barnes reloading manual? They have the max listed at 49.2 with a COAL of 2.735. I’d probably go with that exact COAL and work up towards the max load.
You know after I did my testing at 2.825" COAL I went to the barnes website to get an idea of velocities. Not having a chrono and wanting to get some velocity data. While looking at the TAC & varget range, I did notice that the "Tested" COAL was like you mentioned 2.735" which is basically .205" jump in my Tikka T3. The load i have shoots very well, but I'd like to see if it gets better. Now, given I'm near max book loads, seating that much more will almost certainly increase pressures, so I'll have to work back up to it.

OP
Wolfshead

Wolfshead

FNG
Well, the season is over here for me.
I'm now going to work up this load.I’ve gotten together the components necessary and I’ll work it up as I have in the past.

I’d go that route too.

yes I have looked at the Barnes manual.

my intension is to start with the COAL at the Barnes manual length of 2.735
My length to lands is approximately 2.892 which is a difference of .157.
the Barnes manual says “your rifle may prefer a bullet jump of .050 up .250 or more. Etc…”
and they recommend starting with a minimum of .050.
so I believe I’ll be in that range.;)
I think that starting at 2.735 will be a good start.
I’m using Varget because that’s what I have and is listed in the manual for this bullet. TAC is listed as the most accurate for their test but that’s a different barrel length AND I don’t have it or want to buy more powder if I’ve got one, that is temp stable, listed in the manual, and has shown good results for others.

my intent of this post was to find some of your favorite loads for this bullet, powder combo.
I suppose I should have worded my title different, such as “ what is your favorite load using 130 grain Barnes ttsx with Varget in the .308 win?”

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Well, the season is over here for me.
I'm now going to work up this load.I’ve gotten together the components necessary and I’ll work it up as I have in the past.

yes I have looked at the Barnes manual.

my intension is to start with the COAL at the Barnes manual length of 2.735
My length to lands is approximately 2.892 which is a difference of .157.
the Barnes manual says “your rifle may prefer a bullet jump of .050 up .250 or more. Etc…”
and they recommend starting with a minimum of .050.
so I believe I’ll be in that range.;)
I think that starting at 2.735 will be a good start.
I’m using Varget because that’s what I have and is listed in the manual for this bullet. TAC is listed as the most accurate for their test but that’s a different barrel length AND I don’t have it or want to buy more powder if I’ve got one, that is temp stable, listed in the manual, and has shown good results for others.

my intent of this post was to find some of your favorite loads for this bullet, powder combo.
I suppose I should have worded my title different, such as “ what is your favorite load using 130 grain Barnes ttsx with Varget in the .308 win?”
I’ve had the best luck with Barnes bullets by going strictly by their book measurements. Ymmv but for me personally, going with their loads and coal measurements has worked pretty well for me. A few months back I loaded some ttsx 150g bullets with their exact data and was easily getting .8” groups. I pressed out about a hundred of those and called it good.