308win and 137 hammer hunters

Hey guys , any one shooting these ? I’ve got H4895 and TAC to start with .. what kind of c.o.a.l should I be starting at .. I hear they like to be loaded a bit longer than the Barnes and gmx bullets … Also gun is howa 20” 1:10 twisty

MThuntr

WKR
I can't help you with the powder since I don't shoot a 308 but I shoot a lot of hammers.

COAL doesn't seem to affect Hammers...my Kimber has to have them loaded deep for the magazine and it'll shoot .5" groups. Steve recommends starting with 20thou and that seems to work pretty well for my 300WinMag

JakeSCH

WKR
+2 on them not being sensitive to seating depth.

I would use TAC, start at 43 gr and work you way up to pressure in 1gr increments measure velocity of each shot. Once you hit pressure, back off 1 gr and use that powder charge.

Johnc427

Lil-Rokslider
Start with .040" off the lands (That's what Hammer recommends). If that's too long for your magazine, run them so they fit in your magazine and shoot! As other have said, they are NOT sensitive to seating depth.

bluumoon

WKR
You already buy the 137s? A guy on Hammer time just posted on a lot of the Hammer bullet testing on large animals in Australia. The 137s didn't perform up to par. My take away was 151s in non mags or the 124s if you are shooting a .30 cal mag

TomJoad

WKR
I run the 137s in a 308. My kimber is too slow a twist (1-12) for heavier hammers. You could run them in your 1-10 fine but I love these 137s. My loads with Tac have been ok just over MOA and hitting pressure signs at 48gr at 3084fps. Never loaded up anything from my ladder for further development as Varget and imr4064 shot better. My best loads have been with varget, 49.2grns at 3030fps and .060” off the lands: solidly sub MOA. I’ve heard great things about 8208xbr in 308 with hammers and have finally found some a few weeks ago and have a ladder loaded I’ll be interested to see the results of. You will have completely different results with your rifle and twist.

As you’ve likely heard be prepared to go well above published book numbers to find pressure, these are slippery devils and with lots of powder you will run out of case capacity before seeing signs. May also consider picking up a Lee FCD as they do seem to respond well to a crimp.

TomJoad

WKR
You already buy the 137s? A guy on Hammer time just posted on a lot of the Hammer bullet testing on large animals in Australia. The 137s didn't perform up to par. My take away was 151s in non mags or the 124s if you are shooting a .30 cal mag
Can you post a link in the 137 performance thread? I missed it and a search on hammer time is only yielding devastating wound channels. Thanks!

bluumoon

WKR
Farleg was the poster. Maybe they just didn’t like his rifle. I hope they work well for you!

tdot

WKR
The results by Farleg were still typical Hammer, it was just the secondary damage via the nose petals wasn't up to his expectations.

I was using then 124HH in my 308 and loads were with 8208xbr or H4895 as I recall, I'd be looking at Varget or similar speed powders