308win vs 6.5 CM - thoughts and questions

308 every day of the week. Sure 6.5 will kill an animal, but that’s like saying flip flops would work in the woods because they cover the bottoms of your feet. Why take those flip flops when you own a pair of boots?

308 every day of the week. Sure 6.5 will kill an animal, but that’s like saying flip flops would work in the woods because they cover the bottoms of your feet. Why take those flip flops when you own a pair of boots?

More like Crispi Colorado vs Crispi Giudes, except past 600 yards the Colorados fly past the Guides in both velocity and energy.

I don't follow the Crispi analogy because I wear Chacos, but basically you're asking for what can I tow 3500 pounds with and being told you must have a rig rated for 5000 to do so.

I think hands down the 6.5 creedmoor has established itself as the take anything in North America caliber and the old guard of 30 Cal users feel compelled to justify their crappy MPG.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
Regardless, after digesting the comments and taking time to think about what I want in a rifle, I’ll be keeping the 308. Maybe I’ll invest in a limbsaver and/or a suppressor if my shoulder can’t learn to live with the recoil. if I want to make it more custom I can always get some after market parts (stock, trigger, etc).

thanks again guys, the wisdom and willingness to share is very much appreciated.

Buy a suppressor and get that Form 4 filed! a good high quality 30 cal suppressor will last you a long time and can be used on your future rifle builds as well.

Spoonbill

WKR
Thanks for the helpful advice and concern for my financial well-being. I guess I opened a can of worms with that “paid off my debt” comment.

For the record, I’ve been a home owner since 2014. The debt was mostly from college. I worked hard to pay everything off so now my only monthly obligations are mortgage and bills. I bought my bow in 2011 (mid range hoyt) and haven’t upgraded. My 308 is stock and was bought in 2012 or 2013, can’t remember.

I’ve saved cash for this “build” and am ready to have some fun after years of financial discipline.

Regardless, after digesting the comments and taking time to think about what I want in a rifle, I’ll be keeping the 308. Maybe I’ll invest in a limbsaver and/or a suppressor if my shoulder can’t learn to live with the recoil. if I want to make it more custom I can always get some after market parts (stock, trigger, etc).

thanks again guys, the wisdom and willingness to share is very much appreciated.
You can always put a muzzle brake on your 308. Suppressors take a while since your paperwork is processed at sub optimum gov’t agency speeds. A good brake will do wonders.

Apollo117

WKR
I love when hipster flat brims try to explain things.
How do you know he's a flat brim wearing hipster? Do you know him personally?

Just trying to understand your love of flat brim wearing hipsters explaining things. Weird thing to love if you ask me. To each his own.

To the OP.

Since your T3 is stock with no upgrades, you can do some upgrades to it that will allow it to run long VLD type loads that you would not otherwise be able to do in its stock form.

Modify your bolt stop, and swap out a medium (.308) magazine for a long (.300wm/30-06) magazine, and you will be ready to rock.

BdKWYhI.jpg

hIJ663J.jpg

uyRC7n7.jpg

This is also a pretty good way to carry heavy for caliber projectiles like 200 grain Nosler partitions in big bear country if you ever felt the need.

Your T3 .308 is a very versatile shooting machine. BTW 500 rounds on it is no big deal.

This one, an early 2000s T3 .308 varmint has far more than that through it, and is still stacks bullets:

S2W2LM2.jpg

4tUKn0e.jpg

Z8N56Ns.jpg

My first rifle was a 308. It killed everything(white tails) that it was shot at. Then I got a 243. It also killed everything it was shot at. Now I’m going to hunt elk at reasonable distances with a 6.5CM. Don’t feel undergunned at all even if we run into bears. Perspective- last elk season I was going to try to kill a elk with a pointy stick. Pretty sure any modern center fire will do fine as long as I’m not aiming across a canyon at 800yds. 6.5 calibers have been great on game for a lot longer than the creedmoor. That being said, buy the creedmoor. Less recoil, cheaper match ammo to practice with. Or upgrade the 308 with better stock scope etc

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
To the OP.

Since your T3 is stock with no upgrades, you can do some upgrades to it that will allow it to run long VLD type loads that you would not otherwise be able to do in its stock form.

Modify your bolt stop, and swap out a medium (.308) magazine for a long (.300wm/30-06) magazine, and you will be ready to rock.

BdKWYhI.jpg

hIJ663J.jpg

uyRC7n7.jpg

This is also a pretty good way to carry heavy for caliber projectiles like 200 grain Nosler partitions in big bear country if you ever felt the need.

Your T3 .308 is a very versatile shooting machine. BTW 500 rounds on it is no big deal.

This one, an early 2000s T3 .308 varmint has far more than that through it, and is still stacks bullets:

S2W2LM2.jpg

4tUKn0e.jpg

Z8N56Ns.jpg

I think that 308 has killed some bigger critters with a 155 scenar, perhaps? 😁

Gorp2007

WKR
If it were me, instead of buying another rifle in 6.5CM I'd take that money and spec out the .308 you already have like the ones you see on the Semi Custom Tikka thread. Thread the barrel and get a brake to address recoil concerns. From there, start working your way up to 1000 yards with the .308. Then down the road if you feel like you need/want better performance at 800+ yards, all you need is a barrel swap and you've got your 6.5 CM in a rifle that you already know like the back of your hand.

ericwh

WKR
Between this thread and the one going in the antelope forum it's like Rokslide has turned into facebook!

They both work fine. There is very little debate on which is the better choice for deer sized game and down in my mind. Less recoil, better ballistics, more than enough power: Creedmoor is a better choice. That doesn't make 308 a bad choice. For frequent elk use, give me the 308.

Barrel life is a real consideration for many but from the sounds of things it shouldn't be a driver for you. 2000 rounds is a pretty good number for precision rifle competitors who shoot 8-12 shot strings frequently and need a certain level of accuracy and consistency. Someone who doesn't shoot long shot strings or isn't worried about winning a match can probably go longer. Keep in mind if you're buying factory ammo you're talking about shooting roughly $3000 in ammo to get to 2k shots.

With modern bullets and quality brass, I would probably stick to the .308, because the bullet variety and the ability to shoot 200 grain bullets.

Wiscat

Lil-Rokslider
I recently had this decision to make as I was buying a rifle for a short suppressor host. I ended up going 308 because (in my mind) I wasn't willing to give up the horsepower and frontal area of the 308 at most hunting ranges to have a perceived long-range advantage at ranges I will never shoot. With elk are in the mix I think this even makes more sense....

Also weighed into my decision was the fact that it is extremely easy to hand-load 308 subs for quiet-fun shooting with a can. Probably not relevant to the discussion but it mattered to me.

Last edited:

shmelton

FNG
I went to a long range shooting match where the competitors were using 308’s and 6.5’s. The sound of impact was noticeably more when a 308 was shot. That’s what kept me from buying a 6.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk