308win vs 6.5 CM - thoughts and questions

shmelton

FNG
So how much bigger of a wound does a 308 make versus a 6.5 since they sound different?

A louder sound when a bullet hits the same metal target at 700 yds means more energy right? It like thumping a bell, as opposed to hitting a bell with a hammer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brsnow

WKR
A louder sound when a bullet hits the same metal target at 700 yds means more energy right? It like thumping a bell, as opposed to hitting a bell with a hammer.

A louder sound equals more energy?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

Actually, no.

Even if it did mean more energy (it doesn't), how what are the differences in wounds and killing? And how does ft-lbs of energy kill?

shmelton

FNG
More energy means more penetration, more bone breaking capability, more bullet expansion, larger wound channel. It’s simple physics. I know bullet type means a lot, but if we are comparing apples to apples, the 308 wins hands down.

fmyth

WKR
More energy means more penetration, more bone breaking capability, more bullet expansion, larger wound channel. It’s simple physics. I know bullet type means a lot, but if we are comparing apples to apples, the 308 wins hands dow
You were able to determine all of the above based upon hearing the sound of a .308 at the range?

shmelton

FNG
You were able to determine all of the above based upon hearing the sound of a .308 at the range?

No, I actually know someone that’s on the Army long range shooting team. Before he joined the Army he was in the Marines and shot things from long distances that shot back. The Army talked him into joining back up to shoot competitively. I asked him which round was better, and he said all you have to do is listen to the impact and that will tell u all u need to know. I heard the 308. He told me the 6.5 is great on paper, but the 308 is better in the real world. I think I will take his advise.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
More energy means more penetration, more bone breaking capability, more bullet expansion, larger wound channel. It’s simple physics. I know bullet type means a lot, but if we are comparing apples to apples, the 308 wins hands down.

No, it doesn’t. That’s not reality at all.

starting velocity and “energy” isn’t ending velocity. Ft-lbs of energy tells you absolutely nothing about how deep a bullet will penetrate, how wide the wound will be, how much expansion, or how many bones it will break.

The “sound” isn’t energy. In SAC the 6.5 CM with the most common long range loading has surpassed the “energy” of the most common 308 load at 375 yards, and it only gets worse for the 308 passed that.

If someone wants to believe some myth from someone that’s on a shooting team that fine. But it doesn’t make it true, and people shouldn’t pass it as facts.

Here is reality- given like bullets, no one could tell the difference in tissues damage or “killing” between a 308 and a 6.5CM. No one.

shmelton

FNG
No, it doesn’t. That’s not reality at all.

starting velocity and “energy” isn’t ending velocity. Ft-lbs of energy tells you absolutely nothing about how deep a bullet will penetrate, how wide the wound will be, how much expansion, or how many bones it will break.

The “sound” isn’t energy. In SAC the 6.5 CM with the most common long range loading has surpassed the “energy” of the most common 308 load at 375 yards, and it only gets worse for the 308 passed that.

If someone wants to believe some myth from someone that’s on a shooting team that fine. But it doesn’t make it true, and people shouldn’t pass it as facts.

Here is reality- given like bullets, no one could tell the difference in tissues damage or “killing” between a 308 and a 6.5CM. No one.

I’m going on real world experience, he was not only on a shooting team, he shot his weapons to protect our freedom. He is a marine sniper that got out, then rejoined the army to shoot competitions. He shoots a 308 in competitions, shot live targets with the NATO round. I’m not saying the 6.5 isn’t an awesome round. But, if a man who did what my buddy did to protect our country said a 308 is a better killing round I’ll believe him.

hodgeman

WKR
With all due respect to your buddy....I've shot a whole slew of critters with the 6.5, the .308 and the 7-08 and if there's a nickel's worth of difference in wounding potential between the three, I sure can't find it.

The 6.5 is quite a bit easier to hit with at distance but once you hit them, the results are all pretty much the same.

Spoonbill

WKR
I’m going on real world experience, he was not only on a shooting team, he shot his weapons to protect our freedom. He is a marine sniper that got out, then rejoined the army to shoot competitions. He shoots a 308 in competitions, shot live targets with the NATO round. I’m not saying the 6.5 isn’t an awesome round. But, if a man who did what my buddy did to protect our country said a 308 is a better killing round I’ll believe him.

Form has posted a lot of data on this forum about 6.5cm vs 308 and has shown real world results, definitely changed my mind. I would be remiss if I didn’t point out that SOCOM made the switch to 6.5cm a few years ago, and they definitely took into consideration killing power.

Wiscat

Lil-Rokslider
Holy cats. People get upset when you talk negatively about the Creedmore.

If I'm honest the culture around that round is one of the reasons I went 308.

brsnow

WKR
Holy cats. People get upset when you talk negatively about the Creedmore.

If I'm honest the culture around that round is one of the reasons I went 308.
Personally I wouldn’t let social media influence my caliber choice.

CJF

WKR
My perception is that someone like Gus and/or Woodrow would probably shoot the .308 and the 6.5 is what Justin Bieber would shoot if he got into hunting. This perception has nothing to do with the killing potential of either round at any range, but may alter ones reputation good or bad....which is also based on perception.

EastMT

WKR
I have both. I prefer the 6.5 for smaller game, 308 with 180’s+ for bear, caribou, elk, moose. Both will do the job, I’m getting 2600 out of 190’s in the 308, so IMO 2600 with 190’s trumps 2750 with 140’s on bigger game for avg ranges

ahlgringo

WKR
I have both. I prefer the 6.5 for smaller game, 308 with 180’s+ for bear, caribou, elk, moose. Both will do the job, I’m getting 2600 out of 190’s in the 308, so IMO 2600 with 190’s trumps 2750 with 140’s on bigger game for avg ranges

Would you mind sharing your recipe for 2600 with 190’s. And barrel length. Just getting into working up load for new to me 308. Thx

That is the truth right there. Each are wonderful and slightly superior to each other in different ways. So of course, folks who have more activity in long or hunting ranges will have a clear favorite.