30mm vs 1-inch scope

JW@TRACT

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I want to start this topic discussion off with some self-deprecating humor. When I bought my first .22, a well-used Ruger 10-22, I decided it needed a scope. I found a scope probably from an airsoft gun and purchased the first set of rings I could grab at Academy. The scope was a 1" tube, and the rings were a comically high 30mm. Looking back, I wish I could smack myself for the chin weld and duct tape that I had wrapped around the scope to get it to fit.
Now that I've admitted to some of my failings, I am curious to hear everyone's thoughts on scopes. there have always been rumors around 30mm vs 1" tubes. With today's materials and manufacturing processes, the arguments for light gathering are almost moot. Still, everyone has a preference, so what is yours? Did you start with one and migrate to the other? Do you have a mixture of each in your safe?

Marble

WKR
I'm sure there are some with strong opinions on this. To me, not much difference in performance. I can say the 30mm tubes are more comfortable in my hand when I carry my gun around or grab it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

30mm here, not sure I really have a main reason why other than that’s what comes standard in the style of scope I tend to buy. I prefer a side focus. 30mm tend to have more reticle adjustment, which is probably the biggest selling point. I have noticed a bit more clarity in low light situations, but it’s pretty negligible with good glass. I do prefer a 30mm tube over a 50mm objective or bigger.

Don’t think it’s light gathering and more to do with elevation that can be dialed.

My Razor LHs are 1” and there’s been no issue with low light conditions.

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
It's more about mechanical ability of the scope. Larger tubes can dial more elevation.

Also, I'll say that I prefer neither of your options. I like scopes with 36mm tubes ;-). But, if forced between your listed choices, definitely 30mm.

amassi

WKR
Well 30 is the new standard, ring options are prevalent

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
JW@TRACT

JW@TRACT

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
It's more about mechanical ability of the scope. Larger tubes can dial more elevation.

Also, I'll say that I prefer neither of your options. I like scopes with 36mm tubes ;-). But, if forced between your listed choices, definitely 30mm.
What a rebel. The increased elevation is a fair reason.

36 or 34mm?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
still rocking old school 1" scopes, they are simply lighter and I don't need to dial in excessive amounts of elevation

my scopes are also all lower in power than most- 3.5 x 10 is my largest scope, have a couple of straight 6x's and 2x7's

I do however want good glass and will pay for it to get it

if it aint broke, don't fix it :D

EdP

WKR
I have a mix. My Browning B78s originally came with 1" Redfield scopes, except the .45-70 that is iron sights. The B78s are sleek single shot Win highwall action rifles and I prefer them with a 1" tube on them. My Rem M7 mtn rifle has a 1" because its all about weight. My .30-06, .444 Marlin, .270 Win, and .280AI, all have 30 mm. Others have a variety for a variety of reasons.

I want to start this topic discussion off with some self-deprecating humor. When I bought my first .22, a well-used Ruger 10-22, I decided it needed a scope. I found a scope probably from an airsoft gun and purchased the first set of rings I could grab at Academy. The scope was a 1" tube, and the rings were a comically high 30mm. Looking back, I wish I could smack myself for the chin weld and duct tape that I had wrapped around the scope to get it to fit.
Now that I've admitted to some of my failings, I am curious to hear everyone's thoughts on scopes. there have always been rumors around 30mm vs 1" tubes. With today's materials and manufacturing processes, the arguments for light gathering are almost moot. Still, everyone has a preference, so what is yours? Did you start with one and migrate to the other? Do you have a mixture of each in your safe?
30 and 34mm is all I have. The tube size doesn’t have anything to do with light gathering - never has. Bigger tube allows for more adjustment, not more light. The only reason to go with a 1” tube is to save some weight. If you made a 2-12x42 FFP that weighed 12 oz, you would hit a home run with the lightweight mountain rifle crowd.

Vaultman

WKR
My first 30mm was a 1.25-4x30 on an AR. I felt like I could see SO much more, but have come to realize that was b/c it was 1.25x vs. my other minimum was 3.5.
However I have still started to migrate to 30mm tubes on hunting rifles. Seems to be the way things are going.

While The census is that tube diameter has nothing to do with a rifle scopes ability to allow more light, Swarovski will go into great detail to tell you otherwise.