30mm vs 1 inch

What are your thoughts on the two size tubes.

looking for a scope to purchase. Shoot out to 400ish yards. Not trying to break the bank. I was looking at the Lefreedom line but the 1 inch tubes are turning me off.

thoughts?

thanks

CentralFLMike

Lil-Rokslider
When dialing for elevation, the 30mm scope tube will allow more adjustment range and likely be stiffer/stronger than a one-inch tube.

When shooting "set it and forget it" capped turrets, I have not noticed any difference in performance between 30mm and one-inch scope tubes. Most believe the 30mm will yield more light transmission, but I do not believe that is necessarily true across the board.

Historically I have used one-inch, set and forget scopes because the terrain I hunt rarely gives me more than a 375-yard shot opportunity at deer. Generally, one-inch scopes and rings are less expensive than 30mm equivalents.

gbflyer

WKR
1 inch for me is preferable for my kind of shooting. Short range in close cover most of the time. I have a couple 30mm scopes foolishly purchased because of the “want-itis”. Agree they are better for the dialing crowd. I don’t believe they are any better at gathering light. There’s only so much a human eye can let in.

gbflyer

WKR
I’m not sure about the eyebox argument either. I have one 30mm SS that basically has no eyebox. Worst one of the fleet. A 30mm Sightron I have is awesome however. I’ve never had an eyebox issue with the run of the mill 1” Leupolds, Nikons, Swarovski, etc.

Best thing to do is look through a bunch of them and make up your own mind. Scopes, like any optic, are different for many.

manitou1

WKR
30mm tubes allow more room for dialing and are a bit stronger. That's it. Doesn't affect light transmission. If you are shooting at 400yds, even 600 yds and in, you aren't going to run out of turret adjustment. All my scopes are 30mm or better. I dial... and I also want the strongest I can get. That being said, generations of hunters, including many of us here have used 1" scopes for decades with great success, and many still do. If a 1" fits your needs and budget, go for it!

Marble

WKR
A 30 mm tube will generally give you a much better eye box than a 1".
I can tell a big difference between the two and would never go 1" unless its a truly tiny scope
This and it fits better in my hand.

Stronger
More field of view
More adjustment
More expensive
Slightly heavier
Rings and bases can be more expensive ...iirc

Every scope I have purchased since they have become available are 30mm. Given the option ill get a 30 everytime.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
Max yard shot with 1 inch tube?
With adjustments set aside, there are too many variables to say. I wouldn't consider that when choosing.

My initial answer is either can shoot the same. A 30mm will most likely have more adjustment, but there are so many other factors.

I zero my gun at 300 yards. 12 clicks, 1/2 moa per click, puts me right 600 yards iirc. I can probably do 30 clicks but will never shoot that far hunting. And I also don't have the talent, or data, to do it.

ChrisAU

WKR
Just for clarity when people find this in the future, a 30mm tube does NOT do any of these things better than a 1” tube:

Light Transmission
Field of View
Eye Box/Exit Pupil

These are all parameters governed by other design elements that can easily be shared by 1” and 30mm tubes.

OP
F
With adjustments set aside, there are too many variables to say. I wouldn't consider that when choosing.

My initial answer is either can shoot the same. A 30mm will most likely have more adjustment, but there are so many other factors.

I zero my gun at 300 yards. 12 clicks, 1/2 moa per click, puts me right 600 yards iirc. I can probably do 30 clicks but will never shoot that far hunting. And I also don't have the talent, or data, to do it.

That’s with a 1 inch tube?

ericwh

WKR
Just for clarity when people find this in the future, a 30mm tube does NOT do any of these things better than a 1” tube:

Light Transmission
Field of View
Eye Box/Exit Pupil

These are all parameters governed by other design elements that can easily be shared by 1” and 30mm tubes.

If I don't need the extra travel for dialing (which you don't for a long ways), 1" tube.

Maybe I should re-state for clarity, even if you are dialing, for 400 yards, you don't need the extra travel a 30mm tube provides. You will have plenty of travel to dial 400 yards with a 1" tube.

Last edited:

WKR
Lot of ways to skin shooting to 400 yards. Many are effective. For me, I'd get my load data, plug it into JBM ballistics, print out the drop chart in mils since my scopes are in mils, mount a good quality SWFA 6x, 3-9x, or perhaps a more expensive scope with a reputation for accurate dialing, use seekins, nightforce, or ARC rings and bases, and without drama dial up and shoot at various long ranges.

In my case, my scopes weight from 19 ounces to 30 ounces. Its been a long time though since I scratched my head and said WTH during a shooting session. But as I said, lot of ways to skin it.

I am in the same boat as you, in that I might make a 400 yard shot one day. I bought a few 30s because so many other people were. For what I do with my scopes, the 30s offer no advantage. These forums have everyday shooters believing they need a 2 pound, 30mm scope with target turrets that look like periscopes, mounted with 6 screw rings and everything glued into place with nail polish or Loctite. There's certainly nothing wrong with going to those lengths, but legions of hunters have been well served by simple 3-9x40 scopes of quality manufacture, mounted in 2 screw rings with everything snugged up tight.

WKR
Fartrell, you say you might take a 400 yard shot someday. By that do you mean you practice at 400 and 500 yards, or you may see a buck at 400 and take a shot at him? Just curious what your method of knowing drops and allowing for them are at various distances is? Just curious as I said there are many ways to do it.